PDA

View Full Version : Colorado man hit and run by Morgan Stanley hedge fund, felony dropped.

laspariahs
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 09:11 PM
A colorado man was hit and run while riding a bicycle, now the defendant was given a generous plea bargain to drop the felony charges because if he were convicted it would affect his high paying job! This isn't blind justice it's paid off justice, imho. Ridiculous.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/12/news/district-attorney-seeks-to-bar-vail-victims-testimony-in-plea-hearing_153108

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/15/man-says-he-lost-consciousness-at-the-wheel-due-to-benzs-new-c/

The GECCO
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 09:20 PM
While I agree it's BS, according to the article the victim is from New York, the accused is from Colorado.

RCStylin'
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 09:48 PM
How does anyone expect this to go? It will go towards the money...does every time. "Fair" trial is almost always a weighted average of the plaintiff and defendant's salaries.

But, that sucks and the guy in the mercedes should burn. He ran to get out of the felony charge.

Sarge
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 09:58 PM
In this position of the guy who got hit, I would definitely let him buy me off for hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. I can deal with broken bones if enough cash is involved.

I know, I have no shame. :king:

On the flipside, even if his lawyer doesn't get him off, the record can be sealed and all kinds of other things could happen. Us poor people pay for crimes with time, I have no shame in letting criminals pay victims vast sums of money in order to avoid jail time. You think this guy who got hit will be more satisfied that Mr. Wall Street lost his job, or that Mr. Wall Street just forked him over $1 Million large and set him up for life?

FZRguy
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 10:53 PM
From the pictures and path, he drove completely off the road and hit the cyclist with the driver's side of the vehicle while steering back onto the road? :wtf:

drago52
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 11:00 PM
“Harmful and noxious gases emitted from the upholstery can infiltrate the driver’s compartment and potentially alter the driver,” Kozoil wrote in documents submitted to the court

What a bunch of crap. The guy bought a new mercedes a month ago and the "new car smell" caused him to fall asleep, smash into a cyclist, drive another 200 feet in a ditch, then get back on the road without stopping or noticing a thing except that his DRIVER'S SIDE MIRROR IS SMASHED and there's damage on the front and rear bumpers. crazy people

dirkterrell
Thu Dec 16th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I say let him work during the day to pay the victim and spend the rest of his time in the slammer. And none of the restitution comes from his insurance either. He pays it all.

Dirk

Sean
Thu Dec 16th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Man, this stuff just makes me sick to my stomach. I can't believe the lack of common respect for human kind. Just the idea of a hit and run is justification for the lack of faith I have in humanity. So maybe you make a mistake and accidentally hit someone, it can happen, don't fucking leave them for dead.

Hopefully with all of the contradicting lies, this guy will get what he deserves. The arguments are pretty weak, so maybe justice will prevail?

FZRguy
Thu Dec 16th, 2010, 11:10 PM
EAGLE, Colo. -- A judge sentenced a hit-and-run driver who plowed into a cyclist in Vail to probation, community service and making charitable donations Thursday night. Eagle County District Judge Frederick Gannett sentenced the driver, Martin Erzinger, to 90 days in jail, but suspended the jail time. Instead, Erzinger, 52, will lose his driver's license for a year and have to take a leave of absence from his Denver hedge-fund manager job and complete 45 straight days of community service. He's also ordered to make charitable donations, instead of paying court fines.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/26164101/detail.html

Think
Fri Dec 17th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Man, this stuff just makes me sick to my stomach. I can't believe the lack of common respect for human kind. Just the idea of a hit and run is justification for the lack of faith I have in humanity. So maybe you make a mistake and accidentally hit someone, it can happen, don't fucking leave them for dead.
I couldn't agree more. This kind of stuff makes my blood boil. Absolutely no accountability or responsibility. Money can get you out of just about anything.

Snowman
Fri Dec 17th, 2010, 11:40 AM
In a capitalistic society why should this surprise anyone that the justice system can be manipulated by it?

salsashark
Fri Dec 17th, 2010, 11:45 AM
^^ bingo...

It's the difference between what we have... A Legal System

And what we say we have... A Judicial System

#1Townie
Sat Dec 18th, 2010, 01:15 AM
This state is so far fucked in its legal department its not even funny. We were shot at early this year down in del norte. Not by my debtor, nooooooo by the piece of shit white trash neighbor. Why? Cuz we used a snow pile on the corner of the T that his house was on to load the snow mobile. What did this get him? Nothing. I'm not even sure he is going to get probation.

Fuck this states courts!

Sarge
Sat Dec 18th, 2010, 01:32 AM
So, what's the victim get? Why charity and court fees? Why not pay into the charity of "You just ran over my ass, you rich f*ck, now give me hundreds of thousands of dollars?" Community Service, really? I don't care that the guy doesn't get jail time, but he should be paying off the victim BIG TIME. The state shouldn't be collecting a cent from this, they weren't the victims.