PDA

View Full Version : Time for a New Jacket Vanson or Dainese? DONE

rybo
Sun Apr 17th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Hi all,

It's time for a new jacket for me and I've got it narrowed down some. I'm looking for something that is reasonably flexible for the temperature swings we can see here in Colorado. I think I've got it narrowed down to the Dainese Gladiator with it's breathable sleeves and back and a Vanson Night Challenger with great big vents that open and close. I've tried both on and they both fit reasonably well.

What I'm looking for here is an opinion, which would you buy and why? If you own one of these jackets I'd really be interested in hearing from you.

thanks for your input

Scott

Rick T.
Mon Apr 18th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Scott,
Although not the same models, I own both Vanson and Dainese jackets. IMHO, both companies offer the BEST in motorcycle protective gear - so you can be assured that either jacket will serve its purpose (protection) quite well. I was not particularly familiar with each model you mentioned so I looked them up and here are my thoughts:
Vanson Challenger: Leather, full vents, versatile, and great looking. Vanson leathers are Made in the USA - a bit heavy, but quality is second to none. Armor may be "optional".
http://www.stafford-motorsports.com/images/ec0094/c3a2.jpg

Dainese Gladiator: Textile/mesh, armor obviously included, most current Dainese jackets are no longer Made in Italy (Easten Europe instead). Jacket looks at home in the Mad Max Thunderdome movie...
http://www.universalcycles.com/images//products/medium/2343.gif

rybo
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Rick,

Thanks for the input! The Dainese you found is indeed called the gladiator, but it isn't the jacket I'm looking at. Maybe this will change your opinion some, but here is an example:

- 001 Black

- Men's: 44 to 60

MOTORBIKE/TOURING
GLADIATOR Leather Jacket 1533421

The Gladiator jacket is one of the most interesting proposals from D-Tec, Dainese Research and Development Division. Its special Stone fabric is, in fact, the result of many research leading to this material which has features of mechanical resistance undoubtedly higher than leather. Stone is a fabric made exclusively for Dainese. Dainese provides top protection and comfort as usual to ensure all riders long, comfortable and safe journeys.

- Dainese exclusive D-Stone™ fabric: 100% breathability.
- Full grain-leather.
- Sanitation-treated lining.

SHOCK
- Composite protections at shoulders, elbow-forearm.
- Pre-mould to insert the G2 back protector.
MICROCLIMATE
- Controlled passage of air.

ERGONOMICS
- Zip to fasten jacket-trousers.

Dainese ©2005 copyright

Mister Z
Sun Apr 24th, 2005, 03:04 PM
How much do Vanson usually run for?
Are they just as good as Alpinestar?

rybo
Sun Apr 24th, 2005, 08:38 PM
At retail the vanson stuff sells for around $600 fully armored. About 150 less without armor, but you can add it at anytime.

I think they are easily the equal of the A-stars stuff, if not better.

Scott

Jenny
Sun Apr 24th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Dainese jackets are made a few miles over the border of Italy just to keep costs down ( Italian workers need their 6 weeks of paid vacation per year! :P ). The leather materials are still tested in IT, the D-Stone still made in IT, the machines are from IT, the management, everything.

The full suits are still made in the factory though.

:)

rybo
Wed Apr 27th, 2005, 09:47 PM
OK It's done, it's not the night challenger, but it was a killer buy.

Check out my new jacket!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7970321460&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT