PDA

View Full Version : Akrapovic vs. Leo Vince

Sarge
Mon Dec 20th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'm looking at a set of comparable slip-ons from these two companies. I'd love to go the full system route, but from what I've seen I can get 6+ HP from a slip on, while the full will only give me 9+ for almost twice the price.

Soo, I've narrowed it down between the Leo Vince 7014TC. 303 quoted me barely $800 for the Slip-ons. (By far the CHEAPEST place around, and always great service! They've been filling orders from Iraq and have been awesome about it!) The full system is closer to $2100 though, which to me is not worth the price for maybe 3 more HP at the wheel.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st2/LV7014TC.jpg
http://www.bikebits4you.com/images/FD-7014TC_1.jpg

http://www.af1racing.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=4387 (http://www.af1racing.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=4387)

And the Akrapovic Evolutons: 303 quoted me about $1500, at least $300 cheaper than I could find anywhere else online. Definitely more expensive, but are a little smaller, which might be better if I drop the bike. The also promise just over a 6 HP gain at the rear wheel, while the Leo's only promise 5+. Plus, they just look sexy. :eyebrows:

http://www.akrapovic.com/typo3conf/ext/user_products/mod1/uploads/products/slip_on_street_legal_exhaust_system_for_the_aprili a_rsv_mille_1000_2007_2009_/34b676921a214d4c632c6ef25c381f10.jpg
http://www.akrapovic.com/typo3conf/ext/user_products/mod1/uploads/products/slip_on_street_legal_exhaust_system_for_the_aprili a_rsv_mille_1000_2007_2009_/de1c076404ca8abda68b06f5f259aa05.jpg

http://www.akrapovic.com/motorcycle-exhaust/products/aprilia/model/rsv-mille-2007/slip-on-1/ (http://www.akrapovic.com/motorcycle-exhaust/products/aprilia/model/rsv-mille-2007/slip-on-1/)

I'm leaning toward the Akro's, but I've never had an Akro or Leo setup, and I don't know which one is actually the best. Are the Akro's worth the extra cash? Both come with the removeable baffles and are street legal. From what I hear the Leo's are actually louder with the baffles out than with in vs. the Akro's with the baffle out, and have a somewhat deeper sound, which I would prefer, but the Akro's are supposed to have the bigger performance gain, especially in the torque at the lower end. As this bike is mostly a canyon carver and will even be used for commuting at times, I'm not obsessed with the full systems. I plan on following this up with a PCIII USB, but for starters my bike already has performance map loaded on the ECU, just has to be enabled at the dealer.

In case any of you aren't familiar with the 2004-2009 Aprilia RSV's, the cats are actually at the end of the pipes, at the base of the stock cans, the Akra's come with free-flow cats, while it looks like the Leo's don't have cats at all.

And this is where the CSC comes in. If you had the cash and the choice fellas, what would you do? Comments always appreciated. ;)

P.S. Also, if you think I shouldn't go with either of these and should be looking at something else please say so! These are just my favorite choices so far, and this is definitely the style I like the most.

P.P.S. Can, I get a MOD to add a third choice: None of the above? Couldn't find out how to edit the poll. Thanks!

-Sarge

Sarge
Mon Dec 20th, 2010, 11:38 PM
This is what I'm working with:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16183&stc=1&d=1292364839
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15759&d=1286966093

eg bter
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 12:09 AM
need to find some gold cans

TransNone13
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 01:26 AM
I have an Akra Evo on my CBR1000RR, I've been going with them for my last 2 sport bikes. I like their customer support, the look, and quality. Hands down Akra.

rybo
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 05:37 AM
I've been very pleased with every Leo Vince system I've ever had, from the Ducati, to the Ninja 250 to the scooter. The parts are first rate, fit right up as they should and the customer support is excellent.

The HP gain is really pretty irrelevant. You aren't likely to notice the 5-6 HP on the street, you certainly won't notice 1 HP. What you will notice is how much smoother the transition on and off the throttle is with a good exhaust system and (VERY IMPORTANT) a proper fuel map in the computer. This might require something like a powercommander or a bazazz unit to achieve.

I've never had an akro system, but they are also first rate parts

You won't go wrong, but if it was me I'd buy the Leo and spend the rest of the money going to see Mr Aaron Clark and letting him tune the bike for me. Aaron is a world renowned Aprilia tuner and during the summer he lives right here in Colorado!

My .02

Sean
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 07:36 AM
With a slip on, most of your benefit is weight, look and sound. They are both solid companies, so I don't think one is really going to be that much better than the other (my opinion). Like Rybo said, I'd get whatever cans you want but make sure you can map the fuel system and have it tuned. That's where your biggest benefit will come from.

I know you said that Aprilia has a computer system in there, but then it comes down to, who can map it and are there any limitations? That may be an area to do some more research. It maybe more advantageous to focus on the mapping of bike. My .02

btw: the Akro's are sexy!

UglyDogRacing
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 08:26 AM
Why do you need the CSC to decide for you? It sounds like you have your mind made up on the Akra and you indicated you have the money to buy them. You're not going to get any performance difference so it's going to come down to aesthetics and possibly some difference in sound.

Sarge
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 08:41 AM
I'm just asking for opinions. Like I said, I have no experience with either of these, nor do I really know what they sound like. Some people swear by certain brands, from experience or whatever, and I'm just asking for some of the shared experience of others on the board. As much as I think I'd like the Akro's, and even though I might have the money, they might not really be worth the extra $600. $600 is $600, no matter how you look at it, and I sure as hell am not rich by any means, I'm just *fortunate* enough to be in a position where I've been able to save the majority of my income lately. (That was sarcasm, I'd rather be home than deployed any day of the week.)

If it really just comes down to sound and aesthetics, then I'll probably settle on the Leo's. I might not like the look quite as much, but I hear they sound better. The only thing I'm not sure about, and was hoping somebody here might be, is what difference the cats have on these systems. The Akra's have cats in them, it appears the Leo's do not. Will this present any issues when I go to register the thing in Colorado? Or say I was going to go to California? (I have a lot of family there, grew up in SoCal before I joined the Army, so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.)

Anyway, as I said before, I would appreciate the opinions of some of the rest of you, who know more about these things than I do.

Thank you,

-Sarge

TransNone13
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 10:17 AM
Cats? As far as I know the Akra does not have a cat. The slip-on for the CBR1000RR 08-10 eliminated the cat, yet on the 07-10 600RR it did not. It depends on the bike.

Sarge
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 10:22 AM
Cats? As far as I know the Akra does not have a cat and is not homologous, IE illegal on both accounts.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=6191

http://af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st2/LV424-1005b.jpg

It's the section of pipe that's a little thicker at the base of the cans.

Thanks though, that clears a lot up, the extra $600 might be worth it if we're talking the difference between legal and otherwise.

Airreed
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 10:22 AM
I'd go with the Leo's; take the extra cash and buy a power commander and have the Clarkie map it for you!!!!

Sean
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM
And keep the orig cans in case you get a ticket and need to swap them out for court.

TransNone13
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 10:27 AM
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=6191

http://af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st2/LV424-1005b.jpg

It's the section of pipe that's a little thicker at the base of the cans.

Thanks though, that clears a lot up, the extra $600 might be worth it if we're talking the difference between legal and otherwise.

Yeah, neither of mine came with anything like that.

real5280
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 10:56 AM
i currently have a leo vince SBK slip-on(for sale) for my 10r and love it the quality is top notch, good sound and the carbon is real pretty. however i did just order a full akra system so i will let you know my first impressions in the next week or so. either way i dont think you can go wrong w/ these two.

Sarge
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 10:59 AM
Even if I wanted it, Akrapovic has discontinued the full Evolution 3 system for my bike. :( The only ones I've found still lingering on shelves for anywhere between $3000-$6000.

real5280
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 11:05 AM
also im not sure if they have it available for your gen but austin racing makes a badass exhaust for the rsv4..might be worth looking into?

konichd
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 12:33 PM
The time to buy a Leo Vince is now, handmade and proven performance. Akra's are nice as well, just not as much bang for the buck as the Leo's right now.

Leo is closing out EVERYTHING, street/dirt/atv/scooter and we have been one of the top Leo sellers for the past couple months. Leo's new line (I was told now to be named Factory R) is coming out in the next couple months as well as Leo's on EFI system (programmable unit that is not bike specific but can be "reflashed" to use on multiple bikes you may have) which will definitely stir some things up.

Sarge
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah, neither of mine came with anything like that.

I looked into it, the later model RSV Rs are a little different in that the Cats are further back, most bike apparently place them either under the motor or closer to the headers. Mine are basically part of my current cans, so if I remove the cans the Cats go with it.

also im not sure if they have it available for your gen but austin racing makes a badass exhaust for the rsv4..might be worth looking into?

I checked, only RSV4. Thanks anyway.

The time to buy a Leo Vince is now, handmade and proven performance. Akra's are nice as well, just not as much bang for the buck as the Leo's right now.

Leo is closing out EVERYTHING, street/dirt/atv/scooter and we have been one of the top Leo sellers for the past couple months. Leo's new line (I was told now to be named Factory R) is coming out in the next couple months as well as Leo's on EFI system (programmable unit that is not bike specific but can be "reflashed" to use on multiple bikes you may have) which will definitely stir some things up.

Factory R, eh? That's fitting. :lol: I guess this is a question for the master: Are those Leo Vince pipes street legal? I/e, will they pass emissions, etc? I know they're too loud as soon as you remove the baffles, but I can live with that. I found the Akra catalogue and the Evo 3's with the Cats will pass emissions, if it came down to it, even meets Euro specs, so it should be good even in Cali.

Thanks for the help,

-Sarge

Jim_Vess
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 02:06 PM
Motorcycles are not required to pass an emissions test in Colorado.

In California, you'd probably need to put the stock system back on to get it to pass.

Bueller
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 02:12 PM
No emissions but Denver and COS IIRC have noise ordnances that are enforced by requiring the EPA stamp on the exhaust. Technically only stock unmodified systems are legal.

brennahm
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 03:18 PM
I am an Akro fan, couldn't really tell you why. But above all, I would be waiting till the PC-V becomes available for the 09 RSV's and find out if it will work on yours (I would guess that it will), buy that and an auto-tune and call it a day. This is expensive which may necessitate buying the Leo Vince, but in my opinion would be well worth it.

Sarge
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 03:36 PM
Checked those out already, PC-5's, from what I've seen at least, don't work with the RSVs, just the RSV4.

brennahm
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 03:57 PM
Their website say the one for the 09 RSV is in development...then again who knows what that means.

longrider
Tue Dec 21st, 2010, 04:29 PM
I have been waiting for the PC5 for my Tuono, the latest ETA is March. What I was told is there has been an issue with the software and the O2 sensor

Sarge
Thu Dec 23rd, 2010, 08:34 AM
I have been waiting for the PC5 for my Tuono, the latest ETA is March. What I was told is there has been an issue with the software and the O2 sensor

I was just checking the site, it mentions it for the 2009 model only. I know the bikes are extremely similar, but they did make some minor changes in 2009, such as a small change to the exhaust. Do you know if the ECU's are the same? I'd hate to get one of the 5's and have it not work.

Cap'n Crunch
Thu Dec 23rd, 2010, 08:51 AM
Such a big price difference... I'd go with the Leo's.

brennahm
Thu Dec 23rd, 2010, 12:10 PM
For instance, the PC-V for the SXV550 is only listed for the 09 and up models, but we installed one without any issues on an 07. They don't like to guarantee it will work, but unless they made serious changes to the ECU or injection system then it should be fine. Aprilia forums would be the place to look for this info.

longrider
Thu Dec 23rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
I checked the ECUs and they are identical 07 and up. I am just hoping they make the estimated date. An interesting note, when I talked to Dynojet they would not even guarantee the PCIII would work on an 09

Sarge
Thu Dec 23rd, 2010, 01:14 PM
Hmm, might have to land on one of those when I get back.

As for now, I have decided on the Akra's, and the boys over at 303 Cycle are putting together an invoice for me now. Should have them at home by next week sometime, 303 is always awesome about shipping, and even beat Amazon prices on a helmet and some other things I bought.

I finally decided on the Evolutions because A. They're just sexy, and B. They're actually street legal (with the baffles.) All of my vehicles and my driver license and everything are based in Nevada, and they do smog, and being Military I could potentially be posted just about anywhere that does smog, and I'd rather not have any issues with it. I haven't seen the inside of a traffic court in more than 5 years and I'd like to keep it that way. ;) (knock on wood) Hopefully I'll be able to move the old ones up on eBay or something, maybe make a few dollars back.

Sadly, still more than 60 days until I get home, but at least I have a few projects! More to come, with pictures!