PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes we are a lousy lot

fasterlaster
Sun Dec 26th, 2010, 03:55 PM
With such a beautiful day I got some of the assorted maintenance done on the 929 and headed out south. Didn't get very far before it started to act up. Seems either my charging or battery is going south. Being one who gets stuck on more than one occasion I recoginze this as an "omen" and head back home.

Just 3 miles from home it completely quits I coast to the shoulder on Hwy 83 in Franktown (an unfortunately steep and loose shoulder) and hop off. After assessing my situration (yup, your stuck dude) I phone the wife and ask her to head my way with a 10mm wrench and jumper cables. While waiting within 10 minutes at least a dozen riders of all makes and shapes ride (cruisers / sport touring / domestic and import ) Only one rider takes the time to slow down to see if I'm ok and need of assistance.

One F@#$ing rider! Fortunately I had things under hand and didn't and thanked the rider as he headed on his way, but what a shitty group of people drove by me this afternoon. Years ago when all I had was an old HD I always stopped when I saw a rider on the side of the road and not obviously just taking a photo.

To all those out the remember we are all choosing to ride on 2 wheels, and by that choice alone we all are brothers and sisters. Treat them that way please.

salsashark
Sun Dec 26th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Sucks about your afternoon...

It doesn't take but two seconds to slow down and confirm a thumbs up/down...

sprtbkbabe
Sun Dec 26th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Maybe those riders who didnt stop felt they wouldnt know how to help if you did have a problem. More and more riders (and cagers) dont know what to do in case of their own emergencies. Im not making excuses for them. Just seems like that may be a big part of their avoidance. Hope you get on the road without any problems next time!

Repsol a095
Sun Dec 26th, 2010, 06:02 PM
If you need a battery tender, you are more than welcome to stop by. I am off of Parker and Broncos Parkway.
Patrick

PunyJuney
Sun Dec 26th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Jason, we 11 scumbags out on 2 today would have stopped for you. If only to point, giggle and take photos.
I certainly couldn't have fixed it but would have given you a lift (albeit 'bitch) back home to get your tools. I too have a trickle charger you are welcome to borrow if we're closer to you in Morrison.

50sGrl
Sun Dec 26th, 2010, 07:07 PM
CSC people will always stop. First we'll take pictures and post them, though. ;)

longrider
Sun Dec 26th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Now I wish I had gone my normal route through Franktown today instead of heading north through Aurora. I always stop or at least get a thumbs up when I see a bike on the side of the road, this summer I even turned around and went back when I saw someone obviously having bike problems outside of Fountain. (turned out they were locals and the one guy had just rebuilt the bike) I went through the same thing years ago outside of Boulder, I had already contacted a friend so I was OK but the first person to stop was a cager after half a dozen bikes had gone by

fasterlaster
Sun Dec 26th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the support and offers of the charger. I'm golden now at home and need to get to troubleshooting the issue. (on the plus side before the electrical went down adjusting the exhaust valve assembly correctly really made that 929 haul ass).

I think it's just a difference in those enjoy riding as a part of their lives (including and especially the people) and those who purchase a bike b/c it's the cool thing to do.

BTW June I loved the mental image of me riding bitch on the back of your lowered 600 with my legs draggin ;)

gtn
Sun Dec 26th, 2010, 08:44 PM
BTW June I loved the mental image of me riding bitch on the back of your lowered 600 with my legs draggin ;)

Not to worry... there were plenty of us with her with "big kid" bikes. ;)

fasterlaster
Sun Dec 26th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Ha! your cute Gary, but I think I might default to June in that situation ;)

BC14
Sun Dec 26th, 2010, 09:56 PM
There are lots of craptastic people out there on 2. But those that aren't have to do our part to try and change the views people have of us, even slightly.

Wrider
Mon Dec 27th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I was out in the truck today and towed a guy home who was in a 70s Chevy C10 when he was along the side of I-25. I'da helped you too!

Spooph
Mon Dec 27th, 2010, 09:31 AM
As little as I want anybody breaking down on the side of the road, I consider it a wonderful opportunity when I see a moto stopped on the road. I've been waived on many times, always with a smile.

The best road-side story I have is heading towards boulder on 119 going to work this past spring. A guy had a jacket bungeed to the back of his bike, and that jacket got caught in his chain, locked up the rear wheel, and he was able to skid the thing to a halt. I slammed on the brakes and came to a stop 10 feet from him. Leaving my indicator on we proceeded to dislodge the jacket, me, eventually asking if he wants to keep the jacket in tack, and upon the response of "no", cutting it out from between the chain and sprocket. Other than the question, there was a brief exchange at the beginning and end of the episode of "Hey ya, what's the prob", and a "Have a good day, ride safe!". Total time, 8 minutes, the entire time in morning traffic with cars blasting past at 65mph. One guy tried to cut the shoulder to get to the left turn lane at Hwy 52, saw us, locked up the breaks, saw he wasn't going to make it, and veered off into the median to do a beautiful slide right back onto the road. God bless seasoned drivers! Needless to say, the rest of my day was glorious! Never caught the dudes name.... I share, simply because it was one of those defining moments in my life as a rider. I think people should stop, even if they don't know how to help. Show your willingness, and the person in distress can decide if your useful or not. Maybe they just need a cell phone.... Even a comrade in arms for emotional support is sometimes nice. I'm not lecturing, just sharing my POV.

madvlad
Mon Dec 27th, 2010, 03:05 PM
That sucks man, know the feeling. I was stranded on hampden when my gixxers stator decided to take a deuce on me. No one even bothered to stop either and yes though lot of people assume its mechanical and they can't help you, it could also be a medical emergency and just by stopping it could mean the difference between life and death for some out there.

MVBrutaleRider
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 06:48 PM
placing your helmet on the ground behind your rear wheel is apparently the universal "I Need Help" or so i have been told. fortunately, I have not had to find out yet but I have seen it and stopped and sure enough most needed help... some just put it there to put it there...

I always stop if im able. Especially if it looks like someone has crashed or is hurt. I was in a bike crash many years ago - broke a valve and locked up the engine and thus rear wheel. All happened so fast that I was sliding through the ditch and then through a barbed wire fence before i had realized what happened. Not a single person stopped. I was able to get up and get my disabled bike upright. Covered in blood and dirt, cell phone smashed, trying to push my bike to my house (was only about 3/4 miles away) and maybe 30 cars drive by, not a one stops, even while trying to waive them down. Luck would have it that a friend of mine drove by and then came back with a truck.

That was kind of the defining moment for me that i would ALWAYS stop... granted, no bikes came by but this happened in the snotty ass part of Parker (near StoneGate) and not a one stopped!

either way, I think most have been in your position and know exactly how it feels. Shitty but not surprising. Theres a few good people left out there though.

- Justin

MetaLord 9
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Yeah, I think that a lot of it is what Siobhan was saying in that more and more people don't know how to work on the things they buy. Most folks would rather pay a shop $400-$500 to install a water pump in a car instead of a couple hours of elbow grease with a buddy. Water pump and a sixxer total cost: $60...if you're buy'n really good beer.

I've seen folks stranded before and when I knew nothing about mechanics, I would sometimes pass 'em by because I know I'm no help, especially when they clearly have a cell phone or someone else stopped.

Now that I'm a little older and a lot wiser, I'll try to pull over if I can and then help if it doesn't clearly look like the situation is taken care of.

It's also just a different time nowadays. The brotherhood/sisterhood of riders is larger, more diverse, and much richer culture and experience-wise, but with that expansion, the bond slips a little and you sometimes get that rider who buys a bike, takes it to the dealer for every service, and has no idea how any of it works.

asp_125
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I try to give them the thumbs up / down sign and stop if they respond. Once outside of Green River near Moab there was a BMW rider standing by his bike. Turned out he spun a rod bearing or something and the motor toasted itself. He already had a buddy going up the road to the nearest town for a tow. But it was hot and there was no shade, so I gave him all my water before I left. Even if you can't do a thing mechanically, sometimes there are other things that you can do to help.