PDA

View Full Version : new paint ideas...

MVBrutaleRider
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Thinking about repainting Jamie's bike this winter. Threw together a rough, quick idea in photoshop. Her is an all black Super Chicken right now but thats boring. Her fav colors are white and green. Threw some pink in there for girliness... opinions? sometimes i get set on colors that apparently do go good together, and somehow dont realize it until after the fact... so though I would ask others first this time.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/6ce1349d8c.jpg

- Justin

MetaLord 9
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Looks sharp man! I'd add a little more green and less pink. Or change the pink for a gray or silver, but you're def on a good look'n track!

MVBrutaleRider
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 09:55 AM
yeah, I know she wants some pink... wants to make it apparent but not overly obvious that its a chick's bike. Not sure where else to add color though. Dont want to clutter up the thing. Going for clean sharp lines and just enough contrast.

- J

salsashark
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 09:57 AM
looks good... what about doing the pink in a candy or pearl coat? So it's not like hot pink barbie stripes, but more subtle and seen in the sun...

MVBrutaleRider
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 09:57 AM
that and the pink was kind of an after thought so I was working with what I had. Like i said, this is just kind of preliminary. Will obviously lay it out a little different on the actual machine. (colors a little more proportionate - had to enlarge a bit due to the low res image)

MVBrutaleRider
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 09:59 AM
looks good... what about doing the pink in a candy or pearl coat? So it's not like hot pink barbie stripes, but more subtle and seen in the sun...

ha, exactly my thoughts! I was thinking a pearl-ish pink and matte green over the gloss white (for which i will possibly add some sort of shimmer to - maybe a slight pink pearl in the white on the color coat as to not change the color too much) - similar to what honda used to do on the older interceptors

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I like it...love the white on almost any bike. I'd even go with a little more pink IMO.

MVBrutaleRider
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I like it...love the white on almost any bike. I'd even go with a little more pink IMO.

jamies not huge on the pink girly thing.. just a little. so any pink would be strictly accents.

MVBrutaleRider
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 10:07 AM
wow totally just realized that im kinda mimicking the castrol colors a bit.... but it works i think

PunyJuney
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 11:32 AM
yeah, I know she wants some pink... wants to make it apparent but not overly obvious that its a chick's bike. Not sure where else to add color though. Dont want to clutter up the thing. Going for clean sharp lines and just enough contrast.

- J

Are you sure about the pink? Girls I ride with either avoid it completely (me) or cover themselves in it. It's typically not subtle if they want pink. It's usually lots of obvious pink or stay away from pink.

MVBrutaleRider
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Are you sure about the pink? Girls I ride with either avoid it completely (me) or cover themselves in it. It's typically not subtle if they want pink. It's usually lots of obvious pink or stay away from pink.
Yeah, already ran it by jamie and she loves it. Might make some more subtle changes or a few other designs before picking up supplies and spraying and actually pulling the trigger on anything. Shes definitely not a "covered in pink" type girl but also not a "I dont want any pink" type person either... If nothing else, we can claim its a super rare one of a kind bike from 1993... the colors work for that. lol.

The hard part is as good as it looks on paper, it may not look anywhere near the same on the real thing... but at least its a starting point.

- Justin

cbrjohnny
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 07:34 PM
i think it looks good! i just painted my bike this year (silver) as well and i tossed around the idea of pearl for color, so i would vote for a prearl white base coat! the green and pink look good... not too much.

extremepaint
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 07:45 PM
i subtle purple pinstripe on the pink and yellow on the green will pop it off and give it some more vibrance.

i honestly like the clean design you have there. the graphcis are nice but the color choice is a little easter-ish.

MVBrutaleRider
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Haha... well it actually kinda flows with her lid too, she has the scorpion black dahlia helmet with the white and green and pink flowers and stems...

On the purple striping I had considered it but it would be a tough color to find I think as I would want enough contrast to really pop and I don't see that happening with anything shy of possibly a candy or something with some real brilliance to it and candy wouldn't really be and easy or even possible thing to pull off there. Shading it would set it off a bit

extremepaint
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 09:06 PM
mixing up a bright purple to offset the pink isnt hard oneshot and hok have some striping enamels that look pretty close to a bright candy color your lookin for.

looking at the helmet it has a bright magenta color undernieth the pink flower, this is about the color you are looking for that will "match"

compliments for the green would either be a darker indigo or bright yellow

some drop shadows would looks nice as well and are not hard for a an airbrusher that knows what he's doing. drop shadows are the mark of talent. if they look real he's a good painter. if they look like a black spray paint mark you may want to go the other way.

i will be getting things set up to do some paint work in the near future apart from my current airbrushing job.

pm or email me if youd like to discuss more. i hope its not against the board rules to say i paint and help people out.. some see it as product pimpin!

MVBrutaleRider
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I have been known to do a bit of painting in my day... certainly not an expert by any means but I'm not terrible either. I'm kinda looking at this as a chance to improve my skills. I havedo e some helmet work with drop shadows and some fairly detailed stuff. Obviously there are some things that in my past work that I know are there but everyone I have run them by never saw or at least didn't sat anything. Striping, now that's where the talent comes. A buddy and me spent endless hours striping his car after some paint I did so I can do it but only if its not straight lines. His was a rip pattern that we striped so it wasn't bad.

Mainly she wants something different and I haven't done any spraying in a while so I thought I would add another to my portfolio.

I did a really nice one 7 or so years ago. A cbr f4i on metallic black with dark maroon metaloc tribal flames striped in bright silver. Looked real sharp but the kid totaled the bike 6 days later. 20+ hours in that job. I was heartbroken.

extremepaint
Tue Dec 28th, 2010, 10:41 PM
haha i painted up a busa with a crap ton of skulls. it fell over 3 times beofre the owner thought it was cursed and sold it!

for your pinstriping general tips for pulling a straight line
*hold your breath as you pull your stroke. this keeps your chest from moving your arms in a funny direction.

when you go to pull a line steady your entire body so its ready to pull the full line

laying out guide tape will also help as well. if you really wanted you could mask it off with blue 3m tape and spray the stripe on its difficult and time consuming but the results are usually perfection.

make sure you have the right kind of striping brush as well this is a big one. also make sure your tip is cut and trimmed of all stray hairs.

making sure your paint is the right consistancy is also a big one.

i've painted more crap than i can remember so if you need anysort of hand id be happy to help! infact im more inclided to teach than i am the work! ;)

lmk if you would like some more help i've been painting since i was 11 and im 25 now... got my tax ID for buisness when i was 17! got rid of it when i moved out of state (NY) at 21

im loling at your statement of nobody notices. i find the same thing when i f' shit up its hard to catch and noone notices. but i do always and its the mark of an artists to work it until its right. ya know!?

check out my glove recomendation thread for pics i did. i was trying to explain why i need a set of 250 dollar handroid gloves! haha

MVBrutaleRider
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Man I can't tell you how many times I have redone paint work after hearing "looks good to me..." and then i get the "i know its there" bug.

Actually used to make a decent living doing "side work" out of my garage. I've actually never shot in a proper Booth either. Always added a bit of extra work shooting in my garage cuz you nearly always ended up with dust specks but taking your time with some 2000 grit took care of that.

Would always be down for having a hand on things like this. I'm fully self taught but humble enough to take pointers and learn new things. Hit me up with your info and ill let ya know when i decide to full the trigger if ya wanna help out or hang.

- justin

CoRR
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 08:43 AM
If I may....
I would think twice about her name above the mirror . Unless you plan to keep it forever or repainting before a sale.
I like the color scheme and on a black bike think it will "wake Up" even more.
I'm just not sure on the name part.
I also dont see anything on the front fender. Any plans there? I kinda sticks out being plain. I'm not nick picking Just tryin to help.

MVBrutaleRider
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 09:34 AM
yeah the name i was going to hand paint over the clear once all painted... easily removed that way. Just this is her first bike thats actually hers and just making it a personal touch thing.

I want to do something on the fender but not sure what yet.... do have a tad more color now though. still working this out a bit more, making adjustments, ect.

here is the latest. I matched colors as her engine covers are charcoal, not gold.... so fixed that. She also has black wheels so i got rid of the silver on the picture and painted wheels, but may switch the colors, but may not. What do ya think?

MetaLord 9
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I'm not personally a fan of multi colored wheels (looks like they don't match). I'd go green wheels on both front & back

MVBrutaleRider
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 09:36 AM
and the other thing that kind of stands out is the seat cowl, but we dont have one for her yet so i figured if i kept graphics off it, then it could be added later once i find a suitable one that doesnt want my first 2 born children for it.

- J

MetaLord 9
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Don't wanna ask an obvious question or anything, but what does Jamie want the bike to look like?

MVBrutaleRider
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I'm not personally a fan of multi colored wheels (looks like they don't match). I'd go green wheels on both front & back

yeah i havent run the wheels past jamie yet, but i am fond of them because my first bike (95 CBR F3) i did up in smokin joes livery (like every other F3 owner out there) but i did mine myself and to match nearly exactly - not the crappy from honda smokin joes)... LOVED the purple and yellow wheels.

I'll try em out in green but I also want to avoid looking too much like a kawi.

- J

MVBrutaleRider
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Don't wanna ask an obvious question or anything, but what does Jamie want the bike to look like?

i learned my lesson about big "surprises" with jamie... she gives me the colors and i run with them then gives me the OK.

- Jusitn

MVBrutaleRider
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 09:46 AM
all white...

MVBrutaleRider
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 09:49 AM
or all green...

- J

MVBrutaleRider
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 09:59 AM
and front fender somethin-or-another...

extremepaint
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 11:13 AM
if i had a vajayjay i would like the white, but personally i say go with charcoal gray like the engine cover. or silver like the frame...

MVBrutaleRider
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 12:21 PM
i love the white on bikes and that was specifically jamies request as white.

- J

MVBrutaleRider
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 12:24 PM
if i had a vajayjay i would like the white, but personally i say go with charcoal gray like the engine cover. or silver like the frame...

that and her bike is already that weird metallic black so she wants something different.

- J

Reyven
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 12:29 PM
white!

Sarge
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 12:32 PM
White. :)

extremepaint
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Ya man if she requested white do them up white it looks nice n clean

MVBrutaleRider
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Ya man if she requested white do them up white it looks nice n clean

wait, you talking about the wheels or paint?

asp_125
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Mehhh, green wheels aren't doing it for me. White looks cleaner.

salsashark
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Mehhh, green wheels aren't doing it for me. White looks cleaner.

+1

but then again, shouldn't Jamie be making these decisions... not a bunch of yokels on a website?

MVBrutaleRider
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 01:14 PM
like this? some more detail work added...

MVBrutaleRider
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 01:17 PM
well yeah, but im at this point killing time stuck in a mediation downtown... but i keep making little adjustments so I like to get others perspectives so i have a little more refined rendering to present.

- Justin

CoRR
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 09:16 AM
White wheels look better than the green.
The front fender looks perfect . Not to much not to little.
Removing the name .... Well It's all in what she wants i guess