PDA

View Full Version : More Lights!

Sean
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Has anyone added on additional lights to their bike? I'm thinking mostly for the DS. I've been poking around and the PIAA lights are f'ing expensive. Has anyone used anything else? Or know of any other options?

Just looking around. No intention of buying anything soon.
Thanks!

Something like this:
http://www.klr650.com/CrossCountryHIDLampKit.htm
http://www.klr650.com/HIDPostMountedFloodLight.htm

asp_125
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I have been thinking of a pair of aux lights on the GS for my winter commute.
http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/AftermarketGSLightsFAQ.htm

Sean
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Looks like some good info Jeff! :up:

I've heard of walmart/autozone/checkers kind of lights, I just didn't know if they were any good? Let me re-phrase that, I didn't know if they would be worth the $25-30 you spend on them?

bodhizafa
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 09:12 AM
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn76/bodhizafa99/PD_road_signs_02.jpg

I saw this bike on another forum with 55w Hella lights on them. Look funny because the lights are so damn big, but you can get them for about $60. They are fairly bright, nothing special got them on my FJ.

asp_125
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Looks like some good info Jeff! :up:

I've heard of walmart/autozone/checkers kind of lights, I just didn't know if they were any good? Let me re-phrase that, I didn't know if they would be worth the $25-30 you spend on them?

Depends on your primary function. If it's for more lighting to see (ie you ride peak to peak at night) .. spend and get good lights. If (in my case), more light is nice, but it's for idiot cages to SEE ME better, then anything bright enough will do. I'm aiming for a light pattern out of the ordinary so they don't turn in front of me or cut me off anymore. :x I'm looking at maybe 30W H3s.. if my electrical system can handle the load.

Sean
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I saw this bike on another forum with 55w Hella lights on them. Look funny because the lights are so damn big, but you can get them for about $60. They are fairly bright, nothing special got them on my FJ.Nice pic! :lol: I guess a KLR can't get anymore ugly, can it? But damn those things are huge! I wonder how much they drain the battery?

Depends on your primary function. If it's for more lighting to see (ie you ride peak to peak at night) .. spend and get good lights. If in my case, more light is nice, but it's for idiot cages to SEE ME better, then anything bright enough will do. I'm aiming for a light pattern out of the ordinary so they don't turn in front of me or cut me off anymore. :xI'm with you el Jefe. I just want to be seen. The lights on the KLR are actually pretty bright. I just don't trust the cagers during darker commuting.

Sean
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I was even thinking of something like this. Cheap and easy. Link (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Pilot-Automotive-55-Watts-halogen-projector-fog-lens-with-billet-LED-switch/_/N-26oc?itemIdentifier=413373&_requestid=1551805)

asp_125
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Anyone know if running heated vest, heated grips and a pair of 55W lights will cripple the charging system on a bike?

Sean
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Anyone know if running heated vest, heated grips and a pair of 55W lights will cripple the charging system on a bike?BMW people! Don't forget to run your GPS, cappuccino machine and satellite phone at the same time! :rolleyes:

gtn
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Anyone know if running heated vest, heated grips and a pair of 55W lights will cripple the charging system on a bike?

Depends on the capacity of the charging system, and that varies from one bike to the next.

Your F650GS, for example, has a 400 Watt charging system. Assuming 13.8 VDC while charging that's just shy of 29 Amps. That's pretty big and BMW puts that much capacity on there because they know people are going to install heated everything and light it up like a Christmas tree.

Newer model KLRs are rated at 17 Amps at 14 VDC, or 238 Watts.

asp_125
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 10:29 AM
BMW people! Don't forget to run your GPS, cappuccino machine and satellite phone at the same time! :rolleyes:

Sorry what? I can't hear you over my cappuccino machine's swooshing. :eyebrows:

Sean
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Depends on the capacity of the charging system, and that varies from one bike to the next.

Your F650GS, for example, has a 400 Watt charging system. Assuming 13.8 VDC while charging that's just shy of 29 Amps. That's pretty big and BMW puts that much capacity on there because they know people are going to install heated everything and light it up like a Christmas tree.

Newer model KLRs are rated at 17 Amps at 14 VDC, or 238 Watts.Thank goodness we have an engineer on the board. :up:

asp_125
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Thank goodness we have an engineer on the board. :up:

:up:

That glow on the horizon is el Jefe all lit up like a xmas tree. :D

gtn
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Don't forget the underglow. I think blue would go with your paint. :D

Xtremjeepn
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Don't forget the underglow. I think blue would go with your paint. :D

Honestly, after seeing a couple of bikes with underglow at night I think it could be a great safety feature. (despite the thoughts on the looks or the crowd that normally use it)

It stands out from the crowd and identifies the bike as a motorcycle from a distance better than any other light mod I have seen.

Sean
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 12:32 PM
:up:

Is this what you were thinking of?

gtn
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Is this what you were thinking of?

Spies Like Us. Excellent flick!

bodhizafa
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Nice pic! :lol: I guess a KLR can't get anymore ugly, can it? But damn those things are huge! I wonder how much they drain the battery?

Its actually an old BMW. They must drain be a huge burden on the electrical system. I've been hearing complaints about the 800GS electrical not being able to run all the heated stuff. More thermals I guess :dunno:

bodhizafa
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 01:01 PM
BMW people! Don't forget to run your GPS, cappuccino machine and satellite phone at the same time! :rolleyes:

Its a Latte maker....thank you very much!

bodhizafa
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Spies Like Us. Excellent flick!

Back when those two were funny.

drago52
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I was even thinking of something like this. Cheap and easy. Link (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Pilot-Automotive-55-Watts-halogen-projector-fog-lens-with-billet-LED-switch/_/N-26oc?itemIdentifier=413373&_requestid=1551805)

I have those lights (except the "driving" model, not the "fog" model) on my uly and while they are very bright, they are also very narrow and the cutoff isn't exactly perfect, so it blinds other drivers. The installation was simple, but I can really only use them in nobody is on the road. A 35W bulb would have been better IMO, but still, the beam is super narrow, and not at all light my headlamp.

In the end, I just converted my stock lamps to HIDs and rarely, if ever, use my auxillary lights now.

OUTLAWD
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 04:09 PM
i wired up some wally world driving lights in the ram air tubes of the gixxer for street duty, they seem to work well, but would need a relay.

Sean
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Its actually an old BMW.I just meant that my bike couldn't get any uglier! :lol:

I have those lights (except the "driving" model, not the "fog" model) on my uly and while they are very bright, they are also very narrow and the cutoff isn't exactly perfect, so it blinds other drivers. Can't you point them a little more down (or in other directions)? As was stated earlier, I'm not looking for brightness, more so people in front of me can see me. Especially at intersections when cars can pull left in front of me. More of an awareness thing.

Besides, my KLR headlight already blinds rear view mirrors well enough. It's the perfect height to shoot in the back window of cars. :eyebrows:

PunyJuney
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 04:45 PM
don't forget the glasses

usmcab35
Sat Jan 15th, 2011, 05:23 PM
yea the only reason i kept the underglow leds that came on my bike is cause it makes a halo of light around me, and i think it makes the cars notice me. but yea most people have them cause they saw them on biker boyz or fast and the furious, im not even going to get into all the stereo types that come with my bike too. (hayabusa)