PDA

View Full Version : Shinko Tires

Bashed
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I needed some tires to take me to Mexico and back on my new to me KLR.
I saw a Shinko 705 on the rack at the local motorcycle store and couldn't belive the price, right @ $50. This is a 80/20 tire, 80% street use and 20% dirt use. I mounted the rear up with a stock Dunlop 750 on the front and went on a little test loop to see how they performed. After 50 street miles up to Deckers on the pavement I was inpressed with thier quick turn-in, stability, and no grip issues, even though the road was frozen and mag clorided. I turned off at the backroad to take me back to Lake George. This forest service road has a little of everything, from loose gravel to hardpack to rock. Tight turns start the road and after it crests they open up to faster sections. I can honestly say these hook up just as well as some dedicated dirt tires. They slide predictably with no funny business. Research tells me they will go 5000 miles, and if so I will buy them till they stop making them. There has been reports of some delaminating of the tread but it seems those tires are now out of the market and replaced with new, non-shredding units. You DS and Sumo riders should check them out, cause @ $50-60 for a rear it's a bargin. YMMV
Later,
Basher

Sean
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I've heard good things about Shinko's. The 705's looked good for road but i wondered how they would do in the dirt. Everybody praises Mefo, but they are a little pricey. Especially for KLR owners! :lol:

FZRguy
Wed Dec 29th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Here’s a really long thread about them, and a number of other DS tires.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443226