PDA

View Full Version : Got ripped off by a locksmith

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Last month was warm enough that we actually got to take the boat out for the first time in November. When Kim went to get the truck to pull me out of the water, she realized that she had lost the keys. After an hour of searching EVERYWHERE, she called a locksmith. Mega Locksmith out of the Yellow Pages.

The dude shows up and says it will be $290! I shit a brick! He said it was expensive because my truck uses an "electronic" key that has to be programmed and then the truck has to be programmed to accept the key. I told him that my truck (2005 F-250) uses no such system. He said I was wrong and we went back and forth a few times. When it came down to it, I had no choice as it was getting dark and very cold. He made the key and had the truck started in about five minutes. I said, "that was fast, I'm gonna go get the boat." He said, "hold on, I have to program the key and truck or it will shut off in a few minutes". It takes him twenty minutes to program the key and then he hooked up a computer to my diagnostic port and said it will take about half an hour to program the truck. He hooked up the computer and closed the truck door and we shot the shit for about a half an hour. We paid him and every thing was good.

Anyway, this event really started to bother me, so I went down to Courtesy Ford and they confirmed that I was right. My truck does not use an electronic key. It uses your everyday $3 key.

I've been leaving messages with the locksmith for two weeks. They won't return my calls and they are not a member of the BBB. Even their website doesn't work. What are some options?...

Oh yeah, the real shitter is that when we got the boat home and pulled one of our bags off the boat, the original keys fell out of the bag. WTF!

McVaaahhh
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I'd report the business to the BBB for starters. But if that's the kinda shit they guy pulls he's probably out of business anyway.

salsashark
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:24 AM
cash, check or credit card?

If cash... tough luck, they're gone.

If check... probably with this much time lapsed, it's cleared and it's like cash

If CC... maybe dispute the charge? I don't know... maybe call the scumbag Tom Martino or submit your story to every news site?

I do know that my 2002 Dodge does have those keys. My dad had a copy made while they had my truck and it did exactly what the locksmith told you. unlocked doors, started the vehicle, then killed it. I didn't even know it had them.

Sarge
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Not to, uh, burst your bubble or otherwise detract from your original statement, but that price really isn't *that* ridiculous. Call around a bit, and I bet you get quoted something similar, if not quite as high.

I used to work Valet at a Hyatt, and on occasion we would have to call a locksmith to open doors for whatever reason, and $180-200+ was actually typical, even if all they did was pop the door and NOT make a new key.

What those guys pulled was definitely shady, but at least from my experience that price wasn't totally out of the ballpark.

*edit*
For the Dodge, my old 2002 Ram and my wife's 2005, the dealer wants $125+ to cut and program a new key. Getting emergency roadside service for the same definitely isn't going to be any cheaper.

Cat118!
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:37 AM
damn that sucks!!
Had to use a lock smith this summer quoted me 35.00 over the phone...went went them cause they were the cheapest. When they showed up the said was 80.00 cash only. I called the office while the guys was there gave me the same price of 35.00, then asked to talk to his employee and told him to charge me the 80.00 cause he never said 35.00!

What pricks!
Sorry to hear Dean

Dr. Joe Siphek
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:42 AM
should have used a RockSmith instead...sorry i have nothing better to add to this.

Ricky
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I just saw a story on Fox news the other night about this type of crap. They said locksmiths will often say one price, then tell you another after they've unlocked your vehicle. As for the chip thing, any vehicle that uses a chip CANNOT run for more than a few seconds, if at all, without it being programmed to the car. My car won't start at all without the chip. Some older Chevy's used a resistor in the key that would be checked after the engine was started. If it wasn't the right resistance, the engine would die after about 5 seconds.

You totally got ripped off. And what's funny is that the guy actually sat there and made you wait while he was doing absolutely nothing. That shit makes me sick.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Too funny!!! I post my horse shit on CSC and go to take a shower. The phone rings. It's the locksmith. They are now investigating.

Ford started the programmable keys on the Super Duty in 2008. My truck is a 2005. Can't wait to hear what they find...

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM
my '06 dodge uses the coded key. $60 for the key, $90 for programming, and that's all at the stealership and not including any kind of trip charge.

However, as you say, Ford said your key doesn't have chip - there was a recent news piece done on locksmith scams. I'll see if I can find it.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:54 AM
locksmith scam
http://www.kdvr.com/kdvr-locksmith-scam-txt,0,6537373.story

maybe if you had some religion, this shit wouldn't happen to you?

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I just saw a story on Fox news the other night about this type of crap. They said locksmiths will often say one price, then tell you another after they've unlocked your vehicle. As for the chip thing, any vehicle that uses a chip CANNOT run for more than a few seconds, if at all, without it being programmed to the car. My car won't start at all without the chip. Some older Chevy's used a resistor in the key that would be checked after the engine was started. If it wasn't the right resistance, the engine would die after about 5 seconds.My '91 Camaro had that system.

You totally got ripped off. And what's funny is that the guy actually sat there and made you wait while he was doing absolutely nothing. That shit makes me sick.That's why I'm so adamant about getting something done. I told the guy when he showed up that my truck doesn't use a programmable key. I'm wondering if there is any chance of him capturing any info,when he hooked up his computer, that can make the truck easier to steel. Or, was it all just show to make me think he was right and I was wrong.

Pharmgirl
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I'd contact the Colorado Attorney Generals office. The BBB isn't going to do shit for you.

DeeStylez
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I am thinking AAA would be good to have in these type of situations. I guess a good way to confirm is to have another key made $3 or whatever it costs and see if that key starts your vehicle. And +1 if you have a check stub/credit card/reciept information you can fall back on if you did get ripped off.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 11:59 AM
locksmith scam

maybe if you had some religion, this shit wouldn't happen to you?So, I can attribute all of my problems to not having religion? I assume you live a problem free life?...

Don't stand too close to me, watch for that lightning bolt!!!

Ricky
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 12:02 PM
My '91 Camaro had that system.

That's why I'm so adamant about getting something done. I told the guy when he showed up that my truck doesn't use a programmable key. I'm wondering if there is any chance of him capturing any info,when he hooked up his computer, that can make the truck easier to steel. Or, was it all just show to make me think he was right and I was wrong.

I think he was just trying to show you he was right, even though he wasn't. So he could charge you the extra arm and leg

Ricky
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 12:02 PM
locksmith scam

maybe if you had some religion, this shit wouldn't happen to you?

Fuck religion

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 12:03 PM
So, I can attribute all of my problems to not having religion? I assume you live a problem free life?...

Hope you realized, I'm bored too and just poking fun :makeout:

vort3xr6
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Long story short.

Don't use the damn yellow pages. Anybody has a smart phone that can look at reputable businesses. I would never ever ever pick a company out of the yellow pages. Go on Yelp, AngiesList, CitySearch, Yahoo Local. Anywhere but the worthless yellow pages.

TFOGGuys
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 12:06 PM
So, I can attribute all of my problems to not having religion? I assume you live a problem free life?...

Nah, but a religion gives you someone else to blame.....http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/images/smilies/anim_lol.gif

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Hope you realized, I'm bored too and just poking fun :makeout:It's all good. Although, as bored as I am, an internet religion battle would have been fun!

... Anybody has a smart phone that can look at reputable businesses...Not me. I didn't even want the damn camera that my phone has. My phone is actually... a phone.

Nah, but a religion gives you someone else to blame.....http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/images/smilies/anim_lol.gifPerhaps I should reevaluate my situation, then...

TFOGGuys
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Perhaps I should reevaluate my situation, then...

And invest in a good lightning rod? :lol:

Bashed
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I just love these type threads.
Lets recap.....
I called someone to help me...
I agreed on the price before the work......
I now regret my poor choices.....
I now need to blame somebody else for my poor choices.....
I bitch about my experiance to anybody that will listen......
I am now the martyr......

Lame!

Sarge
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 12:58 PM
It's the fastest growing thread of the day. :up:

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I just love these type threads.
Lets recap.....
I called someone to help me...
I agreed on the price before the work......
I now regret my poor choices.....
I now need to blame somebody else for my poor choices.....
I bitch about my experiance to anybody that will listen......
I am now the martyr......

Lame!And I love all the people who respond and don't even read the original post! Or maybe you just don't comprehend it, I don't know. The problem is that he lied to me. I told him my truck didn't use a programmable system and he insisted that it did. He's supposed to be the expert, so I trusted him and he screwed us. How is stating the facts bitching? Where is the poor choice? Are you one of the "anybody that will listen"?

Sleev
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 01:09 PM
http://www.aloa.org/AGMap/AG.htm

PS I love AAA, definitly got more than my moneys worth over the years

FZRguy
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Assuming you were at CC Res, you don't have a spare key at home?

The Black Knight
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 06:34 PM
What would worry me more than getting jacked for the money for the key, is the fact that this guy was hooked up to your truck. If you knew that it didn't need a programmed key, yet obliged him anyway, then he was messing with your truck for what you say was about 50 minutes.

Since you've got a diesel, I'd take that thing back to Ford and have them do a re-flash on the computer. Not that I trust dealers but I distrust shady locksmiths more. Because there's no telling what he could have uploaded to your ECM.

Not that he did anything wrong. But just to play it safe, as you've already let him flash the computer beforehand. At least have the dealer re-flash and then if something comes up you can always take it back to the dealer for another flash.

If it were a gasser truck I'd say you'd be o.k. But since these diesels rely so much on the ECM to control injectors, fuel rail pressures, timing, etc. I'd want to make sure. Not that a gas motor couldn't be hurt from a bad program but you won't blow a gasser up like you will a Diesel with too much fuel rail pressure or your timing gets thrown off and makes an injector take a dump.

Myself, I wouldn't have let him near my truck with a ten foot pole. I know it would have been a huge inconvenience but I'd call a tow truck for your truck and a friend for the boat.

my .02 cents

Bashed
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 06:42 PM
And I love all the people who respond and don't even read the original post! Or maybe you just don't comprehend it, I don't know. The problem is that he lied to me. I told him my truck didn't use a programmable system and he insisted that it did. He's supposed to be the expert, so I trusted him and he screwed us. How is stating the facts bitching? Where is the poor choice? Are you one of the "anybody that will listen"?

I sorry you felt you got ripped off. Really.
Bottom line is he gave you a price and you agreed to it.
You stated the price seemed out of line and you coulda said no thanks,
but you didn't. Your choice. It seems your situation dictated events rather than gut instinct that led to a undesirable result. Things cost more when you need them the most. This sounds like the case.
I have oceanfront property in Arizona if your interested.
Sorry, couldn't resist.

fasterlaster
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Moral of the story? Don't lose your keys and keep a spare.

Gramps
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I'm wondering if there is any chance of him capturing any info,when he hooked up his computer, that can make the truck easier to steel. Or, was it all just show to make me think he was right and I was wrong.

No

Did he have a small box attached between the computer and the OBD connector?

Just curious

chanke4252
Thu Dec 30th, 2010, 09:37 PM
i'd never let a locksmith touch anything but a lock or a key. hooking into a car's obd port or something is out of the question.

it's possible that he just didn't know, and kept pretending after realizing that he didn't know because he didn't want to look stupid. that's still lame, but less shady. i'd definitely try to make him hurt for that though. toying with a car's computer without knowing what you are doing is a great way to render the vehicle useless and in need of an expensive repair. if someone claims to be a professional, it is definitely not excusable to risk doing that to someone either because you don't want to look stupid, or you are trying to gouge a customer for a little more cash.

i'd leave a google review at least. i think those will eventually hurt/help a lot more than they do now.

i've had tire places ask me if they wanted me to have them reset my tpms system on a number of occasions because my tpms light was on. i explained to them that (on my car) they couldn't without specific tpms registration tools that they did not have, and that i didn't even have tpms sensors in the wheels (winter wheels) to begin with. however, they wanted to try anyway. knowing my car better than some tire shop goon, of course i say "No". it's a little different, because we're talking about tpms rather than an ecu or something. however, the idea is the same, that being that if you know your vehicle at all, you probably know it better than a locksmith, or a tire shop guy, or a guy at pep boys, or anyone else who only has limited experience with a lot of vehicles, rather than a lot of experience with a few specific sorts of vehicles.

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Dec 31st, 2010, 10:21 AM
Assuming you were at CC Res, you don't have a spare key at home?A neighbor picked up Kim and took her home to verify we didn't have a spare. I knew we didn't, but she wanted to make sure. I have never lost a wallet or keys or anything else of importance, so it was never a priority to get a spare set.

What would worry me more than getting jacked for the money for the key, is the fact that this guy was hooked up to your truck. If you knew that it didn't need a programmed key, yet obliged him anyway, then he was messing with your truck for what you say was about 50 minutes. Like I keep saying... He is supposed to be the expert, so I trusted he was more knowledgeable than me. Like I also say... even the so called experts don't know what the hell they are doing, so I do all my own work on everything. I guess I was too trusting that night...

Since you've got a diesel, I'd take that thing back to Ford and have them do a re-flash on the computer. Not that I trust dealers but I distrust shady locksmiths more. Because there's no telling what he could have uploaded to your ECM.Taking it in next week.

I sorry you felt you got ripped off. Really.
Bottom line is he gave you a price and you agreed to it.
You stated the price seemed out of line and you coulda said no thanks,
but you didn't. Your choice. It seems your situation dictated events rather than gut instinct that led to a undesirable result. Things cost more when you need them the most. This sounds like the case.
I have oceanfront property in Arizona if your interested.
Sorry, couldn't resist.Man! You really don't get the point, do ya?!? How many times do I have to say that he is supposed to be the expert?!? Now pay attention here - I didn't design the truck, so it was entirely possible that I was wrong when I told him my truck didn't use such a key. Since he makes keys for a living, I had to trust that he knew what he was doing. He either made an honest mistake or he willfully ripped us off. I typed that real slow, so hopefully you get it, now!

No

Did he have a small box attached between the computer and the OBD connector?

Just curiousI believe the "computer" was actually some kind of locksmith specific device. I saw part of the screen and it looked to be only information about keys. It had a cable coming out of it with a plug for my OBD port. (i.e. a cable specific for my truck)

Gramps
Sat Jan 1st, 2011, 07:32 AM
I believe the "computer" was actually some kind of locksmith specific device. I saw part of the screen and it looked to be only information about keys. It had a cable coming out of it with a plug for my OBD port. (i.e. a cable specific for my truck)

The reason I asked is Ford uses a system called PATS for their keyless entry/theft deterrent. I know you stated that your truck doesn't have it but if it did this is what the locksmith would have been accessing to program your key.

This function requires a laptop and a J2534 pass through. It is possible to just have a cable on the back of a computer but most guys use a OBDII flasher pro or something similar. Anyone can buy these and do their own reflashing. The trick to it all is that the "reflash" or software update is owned by the manufacturer. So no matter who you are you have to purchase that from them. To do this you absolutly have to have three pieces. A laptop, a pass through J2534, and internet service.

So my suspesion is the guy didn't do anything. You can access ford's website http://www.motorcraftservice.com/

With your VIN you can find out all kinds of things about your truck. Including if the guy actually did anything. You will have to pay them for the access to the site. But basically at that point you can access most of the same info as the dealer.

Kim-n-Dean
Sat Jan 1st, 2011, 09:28 AM
I do have the keyless entry system. Just not a programmable key.

cbrjohnny
Sat Jan 1st, 2011, 11:01 AM
when they decide not to refund you and they wont... id just keep calling them out on calls to nowhere every now and then.

Kim-n-Dean
Sat Jan 1st, 2011, 11:50 AM
when they decide not to refund you and they wont... id just keep calling them out on calls to nowhere every now and then.I'm not asking them for a refund. I just want to know what happened. They called me five minutes after I wrote the original post and claimed they were having phone problems. Their 'tech' is on vacation and they said they will let me know what's up next week. The receipt is itemized: $35 service call, $180 programmable key, $75 code source lookup/program. So, it should be an easy fix since Ford started the programmable key in 2008 and mine is a 2005.

Gramps
Sat Jan 1st, 2011, 04:07 PM
I do have the keyless entry system. Just not a programmable key.

the same system would control either.

Good luck with the locksmith.

Kristian
Sun Jan 2nd, 2011, 07:49 AM
... $180 programmable key...

The dealers only charge $45-50 for those!

modette99
Sun Jan 2nd, 2011, 12:19 PM