PDA

View Full Version : Rookie question about sportsman class

JOE!!!!!!
Mon Apr 18th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I pre-registered for PMI in NoviceGTU and Sportsman. If there are heat races for NGTU, and I don't qualify, and get the auto bump to Sportsman, did I just waste the entry fee I paid for Sportsman?

Anonymous
Mon Apr 18th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I don't recall there being heat races last year, and have a feeling there won't be again this year (fortunately, Pueblo is a big track with a lot of room on the starting grid). PPIR, on the other hand... everybody comes out of the woodwork to race, so expect to see heat races there. :|

Getting back to your question - I'm farily sure that if that happens, you'll be eligible for a reimbursement (but you'll probably have to request it - I don't think they do them automatically).

Another thing to consider is, if your lap times are below the cut-off for Sportsman, you won't be allowed to race it (unless you don't qualify in a heat race), but once again, this is the beginning of the season, and with new racers coming in, they should have some leeway with this. As the season progresses, you'll have a better idea if you're fast enough to be below the cut-off for Sportsman or not (which should influence your decision to sign-up for it or not). 8)

The MRA isn't out to screw any of the racers, but if you sign up for a bunch of races, but then decide not to run some of them, they have to be notified in advance (of the race being dropped) in order to be able to give the eligible refund (and if it's mid-day on Suday, it's usually 1/2 of the fee for that race, IIRC). If you don't let them know, you run the risk of completely loosing any refund.

Good luck! 8)

Lel
Mon Apr 18th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Last year there was a heat race for AM-U, but not any other class I believe (at the first race last year)

Jason

Anonymous
Mon Apr 18th, 2005, 05:30 PM
If you cancel a race 1/2 way through Sunday, you forfeit the cost of that race! Sunday registration closes at 8:15AM no exceptions.

Now, if you sign up for Sportsman and don't make the cut for a heat race, I believe you will be allowed to run Sportsman in lieu of the heated race, so you should get the 2nd race's worth of fees back. Double check with Aurora on this if you're concerned about it.

japrules
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 06:39 AM
You will make the race old man.. you're plenty fast ;)..

I pre-registered for PMI in NoviceGTU and Sportsman. If there are heat races for NGTU, and I don't qualify, and get the auto bump to Sportsman, did I just waste the entry fee I paid for Sportsman?

Anonymous
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 10:07 AM
If you cancel a race 1/2 way through Sunday, you forfeit the cost of that race! Sunday registration closes at 8:15AM no exceptions.Registration may close at 8:15, but I don't think what you said about canceling a race partway through Sunday is true in all circumstances. As I understand it, if you drop a race due to medical conditions or irreparable damage to your bike, you are still eligible for 50% refund for the races that have not yet started. Dropping a race "just because" (you changed your mind) does not qualify for a refund (partial or otherwise) on Sunday, and is only a viable option before noon on Saturday.

From the Rulebook:

3.3 Refund Policies
If a racer determines on race day that he or she cannot race, he or she may apply for a refund in the race day office for 50% of the class entry fee(s) paid in excess of $35, which is retained as an administrative and practice fee. No refund will be made for a race if a racer enters the racetrack for a warm up lap or enters the racetrack during the race.
Refunds will only be allowed for medical reasons and/or irreparable mechanical problems. Refunds must be MRA approved.
No cash refunds will be given at any MRA race event. All refunds require prior approval by the MRA Board of Directors. In lieu of cash refunds, refunds may be given in the form of race credits at the discretion of the MRA.
No refund or credit of entry fees will be considered as a result of inclement weather conditions. It is the policy of the MRA to hold races while wet track conditions exist.
If the racer does not show for a race day, that racer may forfeit all entry fees for that race day if the rider does not cancel by Saturday at noon prior to the race day by contacting the MRA on the hotline, by canceling with the on-line entry system, or in person at the track.
For all pre-entries that are paid with credit card, those charges will be run prior to the race day. If a rider cancels on time, entry fees will be refunded.
Riders who provide a pre-entry form (either by all season, fax, mail) with a card that gets declined are not considered as pre-entry unless they provide another card (or drop off cash/check) before the entry deadline. It is the rider’s responsibility to ensure their credit card has sufficient funds for all of their entries.
Example refund scenario: This example is for a fictional race to be held on the weekend of the 7th and 8th of the month. For this example let’s say you enter Saturday practice for $35, open endurance for $50, and three sprint classes on Sunday for another $130 ($70 first race, $40 for the second and $20 for each additional race). Total entry fees of $215.
Sunday the 1st – Fax registration closes at midnight. Entries received anytime prior to 11:59 pm are gridded according to points. Entries received after Sunday midnight are gridded at the back in the order they came over the fax machine and are charged a $20 late fee. If you miss the fax cutoff you can still enter yourself online until Wednesday midnight with no grid penalty nor late fee.
Monday the 2nd – No significant events, you can cancel and get 100% of the $215 back
Tuesday the 3rd - No significant events, you can cancel and get 100% of the $215 back
Wednesday the 4th – You can still enter yourself online without late fees and be gridded according to points. At midnight the system will shut itself down, pack up the database and email itself to the secretary so (s)he can begin to prepare grids. The secretary turns the fax off Thursday when (s)he gets up, so if you haven't entered at all by then you have to do it at the track.
Thursday the 5th - no significant events, you can cancel and get 100% of the $215 back
Friday the 6th - no significant events, you can cancel and get 100% of the $215 back
Saturday the 7th –
7:00 am – registration opens, if you register now, you will be charged a late fee and gridded at the back (and behind anyone who faxed an entry late, but earlier than you, say on Monday)
8:01 am – practice starts. Saturday practice is separate from your race fees. Once practice starts you may not cancel practice and get a refund. Your $35 for practice is gone.
11:59 am – up until now you can cancel any or all of your RACES (Saturday or Sunday) for ANY REASON and get 100% of your RACE money back. For the next 60 seconds you can still get $180 back.
**Note that once the clock strikes noon you can ONLY cancel for reasons of medical conditions (sickness or injury) or irreparable damage to your bike. Your ability to cancel “just because” is lost**
12:00 pm – From now until 8:01 am Sunday you can cancel and get 50% of your remaining $180 back. However, once you start the endurance race, that $50 is now gone. So, if you wad during the endurance race, you can still get 50% of the remaining $130. Also, race entry closes at noon Saturday, if you want to enter Sunday’s races you have to wait until Sunday morning.
Sunday the 8th –
7:00 am – registration opens, if you register now, you will be charged a late fee and gridded at the back (and behind anyone who faxed an entry late, but earlier than you, say on Monday, and behind the guy who entered Saturday am)
8:01 am – practice starts and $35 of your remaining $130 is now non-refundable, so you’re down to $95. This is the $35 that is referred to in the rulebook as a practice/admin fee. If you wad in practice and cancel the rest of the day you will get 50% of your remaining $95 back.
11:01 am – racing starts. Every time you enter the track during one of the races you signed up for, the money for that race is now non-refundable. So, if you wad in the first race, $70 is gone and you can get 50% of the remaining $25, if you wad in the second race, $40 is gone and you are essentially out of money since the $35 practice/admin fee was forfeited.