PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding pricing on a new bike

Think
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Unfortunately I didn't jump on Sutton's aka PROFLYER's bike when I had the chance, but I'm looking at another bike right now and I'm not sure whether or not I should try and buy it.

It's an 09 CBR1000RR in white (my favorite color scheme) for $10,499. The dealership is 2.5 hours away so it's a bit of a haul, but might be worth it for the right price. I know Sutton had to get his engine replaced more or less due to the oil burning issue the 08-09's have. What kind of options would I have if I bought the bike and it subsequently started burning oil?

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I am in Alabama, not Colorado right now.

mathman1000
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I bought a 2008 CB1000RR for less than $10K IN 2008! I haven't looked lately at prices, but I'd think you can do better than that.

The engine should have the regular warranty that comes with the bike.

rybo
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Warranty items can be serviced at ANY Honda dealership, not just the one you purchased the bike at. I would count that as a non issue.

Sean
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 10:07 AM
That's crazy. They were selling new 08 CBR's for $8500 a little over a year ago. I think most of the oil issues were with the 08's, weren't they? And I think Honda was good about fixing the prob. Is there a certified Honda Mechanic closer?

btw: You can save $3k by flying out here and picking mine up. 7k for the bike and 500 for travel. Sorry, had to throw it in

longrider
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 10:12 AM
The oil issue (if you had it) would be covered by warranty and as Scott said any dealer can service it so distance is not an issue.

Regarding the $8500 bikes last year there were HUGE dealer incentives allowing you to sell the bike way below cost. Those incentives are gone so that price wont happen now.

PROFLYER
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Greg I paid less then that for mine when I bought it new. It was 10200 OTD. Get on ebay or craigs and find one used. Honestly though, I'd get a '10 as I know some 09s have had the oil burn issue as well.

And guys, for some it was a serious issue that honda refused to stand behind for a long time.

Sean
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 10:42 AM
And guys, for some it was a serious issue that honda refused to stand behind for a long time.I stand corrected. I thought Honda was trying to fix the problem, unlike Ducati.

Think
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Greg I paid less then that for mine when I bought it new. It was 10200 OTD. Get on ebay or craigs and find one used. Honestly though, I'd get a '10 as I know some 09s have had the oil burn issue as well.
I've been scouring CL and ebay and haven't seen a lot of good deals. This CL ad looked the most promising out of most others I've seen. I'm sick of people asking $10,000 for 08's with a bunch of miles on them.

rybo
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Check this one out

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12291

Seann is a great guy and knows how to take care of a bike.

Think
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Check this one out

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12291

Seann is a great guy and knows how to take care of a bike.
This sounds kind of stupid, but I really don't dig the gray/black scheme, and if I'm going to spend this kind of money I'd rather get something I'm totally happy with.

rybo
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 08:37 PM
This sounds kind of stupid, but I really don't dig the gray/black scheme, and if I'm going to spend this kind of money I'd rather get something I'm totally happy with.

Sounds kind of silly to me, but you've got to go with whatever works for you.

Think
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Sounds kind of silly to me, but you've got to go with whatever works for you.
Alright alright, I emailed him. We'll see how it goes.

FZRguy
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 10:31 PM
2008 with 235 mi for $7500. That won't last long. You can always change the color.

FZRguy
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Plus, it has $1500 worth of after-market parts. Wish I could buy it.

PROFLYER
Wed Jan 5th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Greg order up an auctmarts fairing kit. They're about 500 and plenty of guys like them a lot on the 08+ honda...you can get the pink cheetah you know you really want to be totally happy...

Think
Wed Jan 5th, 2011, 10:19 PM
You know me too well Sutton.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Is pink Cheetah code word for Hello Kitty?

Think
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM
After thinking about it, I'd be an idiot if I passed up the deal on the MRA boards. However, how much does it generally cost to get the oil burning issue fixed if it potentially happens on this bike?