PDA

View Full Version : WTF is with Aurora?

Filo
Wed Jan 5th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I have noticed that whenever I see a head line like "Woman killed by maniac boy friend" or "House burned down in drug deal gone bad" it is always Aurora. WTF is that? I don't remember Aurora being so crime ridden 15-20 years ago. Has it changed that much? Or am I just getting old?

Hibs
Wed Jan 5th, 2011, 08:49 PM
damn, i'm moving there, don't scare me

longrider
Wed Jan 5th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Aurora is somewhat of a split city, southern Aurora is fairly nice but the northern end along Colfax can get a little rough

tecknojoe
Wed Jan 5th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Aurora is somewhat of a split city, southern Aurora is fairly nice but the northern end along Colfax can get a little rough

tru

every body has to have an asshole, every city has to have a ghetto

derekm
Wed Jan 5th, 2011, 09:43 PM
aurora's a shithole... was when I lived there 10 yrs ago and you couldn't pay me to move there. Then again I see uppidy suv driving soccer moms the same as scumbag ethiopian immigrants though. Oh just my $.02 :)

vort3xr6
Wed Jan 5th, 2011, 11:19 PM
minorities.

What. you were thinking it.

Sarge
Wed Jan 5th, 2011, 11:23 PM
:jawdrop:

chanke4252
Wed Jan 5th, 2011, 11:56 PM
If you lived there you might feel stabby too. I think it's the proximity to Commerce City, the butt-hole of Colorado.

salsashark
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Well... I've lived in Aurora for almost 6 years now... Just like any major suburb (A-town is the second largest city in CO), you're going to have problems.

However:
I lived down near DU for a couple of years and witnessed gang shootings, arson, we had windows smashed out in our cars numerous times, the bank down the street was robbed on a regular basis

Growing up in Parker, I knew more kids with access to guns, drugs, parties.. you name it , thanks to absentee parents, then I've ever seen where I live now.

It's all where you want to live. Aurora just happens to be very polarized. Put yourself on the north side of town, deal with gang bangers, and the crap falling out of Commerce City and Montghetto. Move to the south side and deal with the soccer mom contingent roaming Southlands.

Either way, it's no better or worse then any other suburb in the Denver Metro Area... Oh and some quick googling shows that C Springs actually has a higher crime index then Aurora. Hmmmm less people, more crime! gitty up.

Sully
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 07:33 AM
^ +1...

Oh and yes, Filo, you are getting old! :lol:

Crime is everywhere, more people than you think are toting guns (licensed or not) and it's not always minorities.

MetaLord 9
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Aurora is one of those place that is best summed up by the phrase: "Actually, there are some nice areas of Aurora."

sprtbkbabe
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 08:55 AM
The economy has made all neighbourhoods pretty shyte lately. You'd be amazed at the crap that goes on in the "nicer" neighbourhoods: domestic violence is non-stop.

Media doesn't report it all. Listen to a police scanner or two in different counties and you'll get a way different view of what really goes on in the metro areas.

salsashark
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 09:16 AM
The economy has made all neighbourhoods pretty shyte lately. You'd be amazed at the crap that goes on in the "nicer" neighbourhoods: domestic violence is non-stop.

Media doesn't report it all. Listen to a police scanner or two in different counties and you'll get a way different view of what really goes on in the metro areas.

Good point...

I have a LEO friend who used to work in one of the absolute worst cities in the metro area. He's been complaining that work is boring now that the foreclosure market has turned his crime ridden city into urban renewal town. What used to be gangs/drugs/prostitution/etc... has turned into, "my neighbor parked his Audi in front of my house" complaints. :lol:

...and for those interested, emergency radio streams (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?stid=8) (this was awesome during the DNC)

Ricky
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 09:32 AM
The ghetto is where the cheap is. North Aurora is where the cheap is.

Mother Goose
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 09:36 AM
...and for those interested, emergency radio streams (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?stid=8) (this was awesome during the DNC)
Yeah it was! Remember the guy that had a rifle on Light Rail that no one could find? :lol:

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Well... I've lived in Aurora for almost 6 years now... Just like any major suburb (A-town is the second largest city in CO), you're going to have problems.

However:
I lived down near DU for a couple of years and witnessed gang shootings, arson, we had windows smashed out in our cars numerous times, the bank down the street was robbed on a regular basis

Growing up in Parker, I knew more kids with access to guns, drugs, parties.. you name it , thanks to absentee parents, then I've ever seen where I live now.

It's all where you want to live. Aurora just happens to be very polarized. Put yourself on the north side of town, deal with gang bangers, and the crap falling out of Commerce City and Montghetto. Move to the south side and deal with the soccer mom contingent roaming Southlands.

Either way, it's no better or worse then any other suburb in the Denver Metro Area... Oh and some quick googling shows that C Springs actually has a higher crime index then Aurora. Hmmmm less people, more crime! gitty up.We've been in our house at Hampden & Buckley for eleven years. Having friends in Arvada, Westminster, Denver and just about everywhere else around town, I would say Aurora is just like everywhere else! Any town that borders a really shitty area (Montghetto, Com. City) will have some seepage due to proximity.

...and for those interested, emergency radio streams (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?stid=8) (this was awesome during the DNC)I jump on that site every time the bank or Blockbuster across the street gets robbed.

salsashark
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Yeah it was! Remember the guy that had a rifle on Light Rail that no one could find? :lol:

yep... the Rage Against the Machine concert was entertaining as well.

longrider
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 10:49 AM
We've been in our house at Hampden & Buckley for eleven years. Having friends in Arvada, Westminster, Denver and just about everywhere else around town, I would say Aurora is just like everywhere else! Any town that borders a really shitty area (Montghetto, Com. City) will have some seepage due to proximity.

I will agree about the any town issue. Where I used to live in Westminster the SE area was getting rough (thats part of why I moved) but to the north or west is fairly nice. South Thornton - not good, north Thornton - OK. Even much maligned Commerce City is decent in the newer areas around 104th and 112th

Ricky
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM
We've been in our house at Hampden & Buckley for eleven years. Having friends in Arvada, Westminster, Denver and just about everywhere else around town, I would say Aurora is just like everywhere else! Any town that borders a really shitty area (Montghetto, Com. City) will have some seepage due to proximity.

Yeah, but you're at Hampden and Buckley, not Colfax & Havana.

I owned a 4-plex on 14th & Lansing street for a few years, and I had more problems with that property than I even knew were possible. Within 2 months after taking over possession, the property was boarded up because people started breaking into one of my empty units. Nobody said anything to me, and when the police came to take care of it, they all said they had no idea how to contact me. City boarded up the building, I had to unboard it, pay for it, and rehab the whole thing. While rehabbing, it was broken into, vandalized, or some other type of crime occurred at least 6 different times. I was on a first name basis with Aurora cops. People were using my empty units as crack/whore houses, and when I was there, they'd break in and steal my tools. I had to stay in the property for 3 months while I fixed it up, just so it wouldn't get robbed. After the rehab, I couldn't find tenants that would pay the rent, and keep the place halfway clean. I ended up giving up, and letting it go to foreclosure. Took 4 years for the place to sell, after I had dropped nearly $30k into it.

Aurora is giant. But its ghetto parts are seriously ghetto. Its nice parts are really nice.

salsashark
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I owned a 4-plex on 14th & Lansing street for a few years, <snip>

Well there's your problem right there! :lol:

That would have been a good property if you could have gotten decent people into it. Especially now with University Hospital and Aurora's Colfax revitalization efforts (read, shut down the HO-tels and clear out the trailer parks). That being said, sounds like it wouldn't have lasted that long to begin with.

I have a rental near Buckley AFB and I had a few people ask about section 8 assistance... no thank you, don't need that drama in my life.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 11:24 AM
... Even much maligned Commerce City is decent in the newer areas around 104th and 112thWe have a friend up there. They use the "Henderson" option for their mailing address. LOL

Yeah, but you're at Hampden and Buckley, not Colfax & Havana...

I owned a 4-plex on 14th & Lansing street for a few years, and I had more problems with that property than I even knew were possible. While rehabbing, it was broken into, vandalized, or some other type of crime occurred at least 6 different times....Got another friend who lived near Colfax & Havana. When the airport relocated, his property value almost tripled over night. He must have lucked out with the block he was on. Never had any problems and now has the house rented and the family is actually taking excellent care of the house. They even do their own maintenance for FREE!!

Most of you know - We had our RV broke into in our driveway. They took every single one of my tools, the home theater and all the booze. Four months later, our house was robbed.

I guess the point is - It almost doesn't matter where you live. Nice areas can be shitty and shitty areas can actually have some nice parts in them.

salsashark
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I guess the point is - It almost doesn't matter where you live. Nice areas can be shitty and shitty areas can actually have some nice parts in them.

werd...

I was looking at a fixer upper in Five Points a while back. When I talked to an EMS friend of mine, I found out that it's a block by block area as well. One street would be great and a block over was murder town... And the property I was looking at was on one of the stabby stab streets. I passed.

thaitanic
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Aurora Sucks!!!! its the jerry springer neighborhood of metro denver. you got all them ghetto shitfuks moving to Aurora. why? its cheap, and affordable they dont give a shit about their neighborhood. and the Government, they are the worst and the most corrupt in town. if you are a home owner. the city will nickel and dime their citizens for everything they can. sure, Aurora is diverse and has some nice areas but the proximity to jerry springer crowd turns me off.

Bueller
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Filo, I moved here a year and a half ago, anymore questions?

Filo
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Filo, I moved here a year and a half ago, anymore questions?

That explains the last 1.5 years worth of headlines. Bueller - bringing the ghetto to Aurora since 2009.

DevilsTonic
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I work in aurora and there have been 3 shootings in the apartments behind our building and one of our employees was mugged and hospitalized, just in the last year. Not all of Aurora is shady like this though.

derekm
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I'm holding it down by saturdays, yeah I'm in Denver, but Aurora is 12 streets that way<<<