PDA

View Full Version : NEW AURORA RED LIGHT CAMS GOING UP!!

bulldog
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 08:34 AM
The city of Aurora is about to turn on 10 brand new red light cameras. Here are spots we know of!

- Alameda Avenue and Abilene Street
-Iliff Avenue and Blackhawk Street
-Mississippi Avenue and Potomac Street
-Mississippi Avenue and Chambers Road
-Eastbound Iliff Avenue and Chambers Road
-Westbound Iliff Avenue and Chambers Road
-Mississippi Avenue and Abilene Street
-Smoky Hill Road and Main Street (at the entrance of Southlands Mall).

Sully
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Add Alameda and Airport to the list (by the post office)

fasterlaster
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 08:51 AM
WTF is it with Aurora....oh wait wrong thread ;) Good info to know about anyway.

Sully
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 08:52 AM
:slap: :D :lol:

Filo
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 09:00 AM
WTF is it with Aurora....oh wait wrong thread ;) Good info to know about anyway.

See, this is JUST what I was talking about! Red light district cameras!!! What next??? They don't have this sort of thing where I live.

Is there going to be a live feed for these red light district cameras? Are the intersections you mentioned the ones with the best looking women of ill repute, or are they just the ones with the highest traffic?

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 09:36 AM
So you should be fine if you're on your bike wearing the gear right?

If Fort Collins, they only issue the ticket if they can identify the drivers face. I haven't run our red light intersection to test it. Same with the speeding camera van, I thought they had to identify the driver's face?

Filo
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 09:52 AM
So you should be fine if you're on your bike wearing the gear right?

If Fort Collins, they only issue the ticket if they can identify the drivers face. I haven't run our red light intersection to test it. Same with the speeding camera van, I thought they had to identify the driver's face?

My dad ran a red light in my car. You could see his face. They sent the ticket to me, even though it clearly wasn't me. I just gave him the ticket and let him deal with it.

I think if the face is unrecognizable, they don't send the ticket like you said.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 09:55 AM
My dad ran a red light in my car. You could see his face. They sent the ticket to me, even though it clearly wasn't me. I just gave him the ticket and let him deal with it.

I think if the face is unrecognizable, they don't send the ticket like you said.

In Fort Collins, with the ticket and photo that they send to the vehicle owner, there's the option to mark down who the driver is and send it back.

However, I've also heard that if the vehicle is registered to you, and your wife is driving, you are legally protected from testifying or accusing your spouse. So I've heard you can tell them it's not you and to shove it.

I guess I'm playing internet lawyer today

sprtbkbabe
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 12:15 PM
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/26382747/detail.html

AURORA, Colo. -- A recent study by the Citizens for Responsible Aurora Government is raising questions about the effectiveness of the city’s red light cameras.

City officials told 7NEWS the cameras are important tools that make driving safer, but political activist Jim Frye said the cameras do more to enhance revenue than safety.

He released data showing that the number of crashes actually increased at three of the four intersections that currently have red light cameras. http://tags.bluekai.com/site/1932
[/URL]

http://pixel.quantserve.com/pixel/p-5aWVS_roA1dVM.gif?labels=News [URL="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/ibs.den.news/local;kw=news+square+26382747;ad=true;pgtype=detai l;tile=7;sz=300x250;ord=123456789?"]http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/ibs.den.news/local;kw=news+square+26382747;ad=true;pgtype=detai l;tile=7;sz=300x250;ord=123456789? (javascript:void(0);)

The intersection of Alameda Avenue and Abilene Street had two more crashes the year after the cameras were installed versus the year prior to installation, going from 37 to 39.

There were 24 crashes at the Iliff Avenue/Blackhawk Street intersection the year before cameras were installed and 28 the year after.

26 crashes were logged

At the Mississippi Avenue/Potomac Street intersection, 26 crashes occurred before installation and 38 occurred after the cameras were up.

Only at Mississippi Avenue and Chambers Street did the number of accidents drop, going from 82 the year before installation to 63 the year after.

“It was eye-opening,” Frye said. “So what does that leave you? It leaves you with a collection-generating machine. One that has generated $2.3 million since the first camera was installed in 2005.”

Division Chief Roger Cloyd, of the Aurora Police Department, said the cameras make a difference.

“I can’t argue with the statistics provided by CRAG,” Cloyd said. “But what I think is significant is that we have seen a decrease in the severity of accidents.”

Cloyd released video showing several close calls and several crashes related to running a red light.

“My position is that we’re trying to make Aurora a safer place for people to drive and we use whatever technology and tools are available,” Cloyd said.

Proponents said they believe the cameras can help modify behavior.

Frye has his doubts.

“I would say, ‘A $75 ticket and I don’t get any points (on my license.) Who cares?’ Is that going to change my behavior?” Frye said.

When asked if the red light camera tickets are changing behavior, Cloyd replied, “It holds them accountable.”

One motorist told 7NEWS the cameras have changed his behavior.

Don Nardo said, “I’m so paranoid about running through that intersection -- because I don’t want a hit in the pocketbook -- that I’m stopping on a yellow light and I could get rear-ended.”

When asked if he thought the cameras were more for enhanced safety or revenue, Nardo said, “I think they’re for both.”

Frye told 7NEWS the city is installing 10 more cameras to generate more revenue.

“They’re doing that because they refuse to lower the cost structure,” he said. “They haven’t made any significant cuts at city hall or at the police department.”

Frye said the group may try to put the camera issue on the ballot.

“They’re essentially raising revenue without a vote of the people,” he said.

Cloyd said, “People care about safety and accountability. If you’re at an intersection and someone blasts through the red light, there is satisfaction in knowing that that driver will be held accountable.”

Frye said the new cameras will be of such high quality that they can be used to catch speeders or other minor offenders.

Cloyd said the new cameras do not contain speed detecting equipment, but he added that if someone commits a robbery and police get a good description of a getaway car leaving at a high rate of speed, they can look at the video from the red light cameras to check if the car went through the intersection.

“If it did, we might be able to identify the car and the driver," Cloyd said.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 12:26 PM
problem with government is people don't want to call a spade a spade. If officials came right out and said, "money's tight and we can't support the current level of services we offer the citizens without either raising taxes or catching more law breakers." Most people would say, "fuck, catch lawbreakers! Leave my taxes alone."

People don't like to be lied to or played for idiots. Call it what it is and there would probably be a lot less push back.

Sully
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Saw some more red light cameras going in at Santa Fe and Mineral... good times! :) Oh, isn't that Littleton? :mrt:

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I know a guy that has tested the Littleton cameras multiple times at various locations..... and they arnt working on bikes yet

They aren't working? Or as said earlier, they don't send out tickets if they cannot identify the driver's face?

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 04:26 PM
they dont work on bikes....yet.... at least in littleton, some tested in Aur, & GV dont work either
im no expert but from what I can tell they are taking a picture of the rearend when you run the red...your face dosent matter..its your plate that IDs you....and if you're claiming it wasnt me driving ..good luck.."its still your car" is the likely answer
the speed vans are different since they are clicking you coming at them..so smile & try speeding up or pop a wheelie since the bike plate is very small & fast when you go by and its on the wrong side of the cameravan......that guy I know has not seen any of those tickets yet either..
but karma is aware of his situation so we'll see ..it's an ongoing experiment with local Gov...he tests speed limits, lane splitting, etc too....bikers:slap:
FTW
ahhh so anyway did i ramble.....
there is no facial recognizer thingy with this camera cop stuff..its just a revenue generator tool looking at plates...its the same as a parking ticket, its just a fine....if they have your plate you get a ticket....
IDK, i just wanna ride
peace

Not true - in Fort Collins anyway.

As I said earlier in this thread - you do not get a ticket if they cannot get an identifiable shot of a drivers face. Then they mail the ticket to the vehicle owner. The owner can contest the ticket by saying the image of the driver is not them, but then they are required to say WHO the driver is.

It sounds as though you have zero experience with this other than "knowing some guy."

I've received both a red light camera violation at my house AND a speeding van citation.

I won out on the speeding violation and we went ahead and paid the red light violation.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 04:31 PM
http://www.fcgov.com/municipalcourt/camera.php

If you are the registered owner of the vehicle but were not driving the vehicle when the photo was taken, you have three options to address this citation:

If you just want to pay the ticket for the driver, you may send in the Option #1 slip, the ticket will remain in the original persons name, no correction will be made. 0 point tickets are not reported to the State of Colorado and will not show on your Driver License History.
If you know who the driver is and want them to take responsibility for the ticket but don't want to pay it for that person, return the correct portion of the ticket with the driver's name and address filled in. We will dismiss the case in your name, and it may be reissued to the identified driver.
If you don't know who the driver is or don't want to identify the driver, you can request a dismissal by a motion to dismiss to the Prosecutor, explaining whatever you choose to about not being the driver. *Include with the motion to dismiss a clear copy of your driver's license, the photo and the summons. The Prosecutor will review the case. If it can be determined by the information provided that you are not the driver, the case will be dismissed. If not, your case may be set for trial.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Further:
http://www.colocode.com/ftcollins/traffic/fortcollins_traffic.htm#615

partial paragraph (3)

If, however, the vehicle is registered in more than one (1) person’s name, the summons and complaint shall be issued to that registrant who the issuing peace officer determines, under all the facts and circumstances, was the person most likely depicted in the photographs produced by the red-light cameras. The summons and complaint shall contain the signature, or a reasonable facsimile thereof, of the peace officer issuing the summons and complaint.

This is the good one, see bold:

(7) In any proceeding in Municipal Court to prosecute a violation of Section 604(1)(c), the photographs produced by a red-light camera concerning the violation shall be admissible in court as prima facie evidence of a violation of Section 604(1)(c), provided that the peace officer or employee of the City who activated and tested the red-light camera prior to the photographs being taken testifies as to the placement of the red-light camera and the accuracy of the scene depicted in the photographs, and further testifies that he or she tested the red-light camera for proper operation within a reasonable period of time both before and after the taking of the photograph. Also, to be so admissible in Municipal Court, the photographs must be of sufficient quality to permit identification of the driver of the vehicle. (Ord. 016, 2003 §1; Ord. 113, 2004 § 4; Ord. 031, 2005 §1; Ord. 097, 2009 §20))

So, if you're worried about being rearended by the texting fool behind you when the light is questionable; if it's safer to move through the intersection than slam on your brakes, flip your lid down and have a wheelie great day! At least in Fort Collins.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jan 6th, 2011, 05:16 PM
on the bike? and howd you get a pass on the speed

Was in my truck. Good clear pics of me and my license plate. Nothing to identify the location or situation other than some printout stating where I was and when.

The thing with the red light cameras is that they take a series of photos showing the progression of the situation, wide angle to show the location, and zoomed in to show the driver. The whole situation and location are pretty "black and white" literally.

The speeding cameras don't show shit. I could take a picture of you driving down your street and say you were on I25 doing 95mph.

So I filed for a court date to contest the ticket. Three days before the court date I received a phone call and voice message that said, "upon further review, we've determined that your citation was generated due to a remote test of the system and the city is dropping the charge. We will mail you a confirmation letter."

So I don't know if it wasn't worth fighting, if they found someone f'd up some paperwork and they didn't have all their ducks in a row for the judge, or if the citing officer was out for the week with his preggers wife - who knows.

I do know I was being followed that day by a coworker who saw the flash and I was doing 15mph over the limit at the time but I had never noticed the camera van.