PDA

View Full Version : Few quesitons re: 98' gsxr 600

japrules
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 06:52 AM
How do I get rid of all the anti-freeze without flushing and creating a boatload of chemical waste?

Do rearsets from newer bikes work? Hopefully moving the pegs to a more racer position? I can't tell if the bolts would line up..

How do I know if my chain should be replaced?

I need spare levers, rearsets, clipons... but I'll put this in wanteds..

I also need spare arms and legs for myself... :roll:

-Joe

Bueller
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Fluch the antifreeze, generally if you can pull the chain away from the back of your rear sprocket far enough to see the end of a tooth replace it.
levers are cheap at Performance, get new ones put them on and throw the old ones in for spares, good time to lube cables too ;)

japrules
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks... and I think I am finding my answer on the gixxer website re: rearsets... the newer bike rearsets fit but they actually lower the pegs.. so not a good idea..

thanks
Joe

Mel
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 01:48 PM
THere is also the full manual in PDF format on here as well, and I have a hard copy. I have flushed the antifreeze, as well as replaced sprockets and chain on mine before (more than once actually). So if you have any questions, let me know!

japrules
Thu Apr 21st, 2005, 10:39 AM
Can you just stop over and do it for me?

:lol:

THere is also the full manual in PDF format on here as well, and I have a hard copy. I have flushed the antifreeze, as well as replaced sprockets and chain on mine before (more than once actually). So if you have any questions, let me know!

GSXR-ATW
Thu Apr 21st, 2005, 10:48 AM
for the chain, you measure between two rivets on the chain and if the distance is more than 12.5 mm I think, (someone can confirm that) then you need to replace it.

Anonymous
Thu Apr 21st, 2005, 01:41 PM
Easy tell on the chain: If you have adjusted it past the middle 2/3 of the range or so (you should never be at either extreme) replace it. If you are still within the "OK range" you are probably ok. Only other reasons you'd need to replace it before it gets stretched would be from no maintenence, i.e. rusted out or kinks you can't fully free up. Also lube the thing religiously, it'll make it last longer.

Flush antifreeze down the toilet, a few cups at a time. Perfectly fine.

Can't help you with the spare arms and legs though. ;)