PDA

View Full Version : Be creative people.....I need ideas

Cat118!
Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Anyone have real ideas for cardio while in cast?
Cardio with NO ankle movement

dallas
Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Shake weight!!!

Mother Goose
Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Agreed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYmnP7VOyo4

Sean
Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Cardio boxing, stationary rowing or most gyms have a machine where you pedal a bike with your hands. Does your ankle have a cast? If no, swim without kicking.

50sGrl
Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Stationary bike with low resistance, hand bike, rowing. Once you get rid of the cast or go to a removable brace, swimming with one of those foam thingys held between your legs.

- asp125

Cat118!
Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Row machine and bike has ankle movement. I do have a cast.
The arm pedal is the only one I can think of as well.

Cat118!
Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Shake weight......lol

drago52
Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 06:07 PM
no ankle movement? cycling

Repsol a095
Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Lots of sex! Lots and lots. Choose the style that works best!

Cat118!
Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 06:35 PM
no ankle movement? cycling
cycling does move. Your foot points in downward motion and tilts up in the upward position. Cast does not allow any
Stuck in a 90 degree angle

Cat118!
Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Lots of sex! Lots and lots. Choose the style that works best!

only one style avail, until this crap comes off! LOL!

drago52
Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM
cycling does move. Your foot points in downward motion and tilts up in the upward position. Cast does not allow any
Stuck in a 90 degree angle

I've ridden with a cast. Try it. I guarantee you can cycle.

The Black Knight
Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Really I can't think of anything that would help. My advice would be to just recover. Wait for the ankle to heal up and then get back at it. I'm not sure how long you'll be in the cast(8 weeks at least) and in that time it's not like you'll completely fall apart without cardio. Just watch your intake of foods(if you're worried cause you can't do cardio) and heal up mainly.

asp_125
Fri Jan 7th, 2011, 11:34 PM
You can cycle, I did with my cast, just don't expect a proper fluid stroke. It'll be lopsided. The sit down recumbent stationary bikes are better because you don't accidentally put all your weight on the pedal. Other than that, rest and listen to the doc. My PT offered two options during my ankle recovery - 1. Exercise asap and lengthen the total recovery time. Or 2. Rest and let the healing take place and then exercise when the ankle's ready and shorten the total recovery time. I chose the latter.

FZRguy
Sat Jan 8th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I agree, ride a stationary bike with the cast. Try some one-leg cycling too. It's hard! Hand cycle if your club has one. Circuit train with no rest between sets.

Cat118!
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks I will try the bike at the gym....this being trapped at home for the past 3 weeks sucks ass

bulldog
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 08:44 AM
ABS!!!

Also don't forget most of fitness is diet, so maybe use the time to fine tune what you eat.

asp_125
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 09:04 AM
If the cast can be protected from water, or it's one of those removable ones, go swimming. Great cardio, no weight bearing.

bulldog
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 09:07 AM
http://ask.metafilter.com/64464/Any-exercise-ideas-for-someone-who-cant-use-their-legs

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/exercise/msg1216412125632.html

Ricky
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Good luck. The only thing I found was hopping around on one leg.

asp_125
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Oh, totally forgot Pilates for general fitness while recovering.

bulldog
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Even a simple pair of dumbells could be used for many upper body exercises like bench press, curls, shoulder presses, etc. Get one of those blow up exercise balls and a set of light dumbell weights and the possibilities are endless.

http://www.exerciseballworkouts.net/ (http://www.exerciseballworkouts.net/)

Cat, I think you already do weightlifting so you know this, but many girls think that lifting weights is going to turn them into some buff guy looking girl. This is a myth as women do not have the testosterone to bulk up like a guy do (those huge girls you see are taking in some type of hormone supplement). The more muscle, the faster your body burns calories, so maybe spend this time doing weightlifting on the things you can.

Cat118!
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks all!! Getting ride to gym tomorrow so excited to try the suggestions and of course upper body weight lifting!!

bulldog
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 10:27 AM
If you do not have an exercise ball or light dumbells I have some you could borrow :)

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Hope your doing well Cat! Not to hyjack your thread but on a related subject. I just had foot surgery and had an aircast on for 5 weeks. I have been out of the cast for two weeks now and I have lost massive amounts of muscle in my calf. Now I need suggestions on calf exercises as I cannot roll up on my toes and it seems all calf exercises have that kind of movement. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Kim

asp_125
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Hope your doing well Cat! Not to hyjack your thread but on a related subject. I just had foot surgery and had an aircast on for 5 weeks. I have been out of the cast for two weeks now and I have lost massive amounts of muscle in my calf. Now I need suggestions on calf exercises as I cannot roll up on my toes and it seems all calf exercises have that kind of movement. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Kim

Start with resistance bands, under the ball of your foot, in a seated position. It approximates the standing heel lift that works the calf muscle.

Cat118!
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Oh kim calves are my best asset!! I could give you some great workouts. Are there any restrictions?

Cat118!
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Use the calf work out with ball of foot not toes

Cat118!
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 10:52 AM
If you do not have an exercise ball or light dumbells I have some you could borrow :)
have dumbbells but not a ball
:)

bulldog
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Start with resistance bands, under the ball of your foot, in a seated position. It approximates the standing heel lift that works the calf muscle.
Resistance Band Calf Extensions

It is shown here http://www.fitness-training-at-home.com/calf-exercises.html

Dean, check out this site http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/CalfWt.html. Like said, do the ones where you can put your weight on the ball of your feet instead of the toes (ex Donkey Calf raise).

Here are more exercises to look through http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/calf.html . I would say try them and see which you can do. If you feel any pain, STOP!

Cat118!
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 10:58 AM
my cast cannot be removed
its pretty strict schedule for the healing process.
I Had ligament cut stretched and reattached, alot of damaged cartilage removed. 2 holes drilled into boned to cause bone bleeding to rebuild new cartilage and a huge spur removed.
No pressure at all period for 4 weeks, 3 weeks able to start pressure and walking.
Today is first day I can start pressure and ween of crutches. Still in hard fiberglass cast for 3 more weeks and then PT next

Ricky
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 11:00 AM

Kim

My calf muscle was gone after I got out of the cast. Doc said to not overdo it, and just let it come back naturally. It took a few months, but it's back to normal now.

dallas
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 11:35 AM
only one style avail, until this crap comes off! LOL!
I highly doubt that. I can think of at least 5 off the top of my head and that is without breaking out the swing or wedges.........

Cat118!
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I highly doubt that. I can think of at least 5 off the top of my head and that is without breaking out the swing or wedges.........

hhahaha with keeping foot at right degree angle comfortable?.... (doggie not comfortable in cast..or being on top..) Foot stuck in that position puts a damper on things lol

dallas
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 12:06 PM
hhahaha with keeping foot at right degree angle comfortable?.... (doggie not comfortable in cast..or being on top..) Foot stuck in that position puts a damper on things lol

Oh yeah. I have "dated" alot of handicapped and immobile women (they are easier to catch because they don't run). You just have to be creative and motivated.

Cat118!
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Oh yeah. I have "dated" alot of handicapped and immobile women (they are easier to catch because they don't run). You just have to be creative and motivated.

LMAO!!
I may have to challenge myself to think of something