PDA

View Full Version : just got a jeep.

Rooster
Sat Jan 8th, 2011, 03:43 PM
just got a jeep and ill have the title and and it registered hopefully by this tuesday. anyone wanna hit up some trails or venture out in the mud next weekend? im looking to get out and about but nothing too bad to where i might break something. maybe hit up pikes peak or something since me and the family havent been up there yet.

fasterlaster
Sat Jan 8th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Now that you have a 4x4 you have the capacity to get stuck further from help ;) Enjoy it I miss my old Wrangler.

Rooster
Sat Jan 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM
couldnt be truer. lol im just wanting to some sightseeing and all. and ill get into the tougher stuff once i get a bigger lift and tires, and a winch.

sfarson
Sat Jan 8th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Congrats on the Jeep. Something inside me says everyone should own a Jeep at least once.

derekm
Sat Jan 8th, 2011, 08:56 PM
congrats.. I spent 8 hr car shopping today :(

brennahm
Sat Jan 8th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Details on said Jeep? Pics?

Rooster
Sat Jan 8th, 2011, 09:01 PM
8hrs car shopping? did ya find anything?

extremepaint
Sat Jan 8th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Hey once i get some tires on the ole taco i could show you around to a few spots near the springs with two vehicles its pretty easy to get unstuck with carefull driving... im from buffalo ny trust me i know these things

derekm
Sat Jan 8th, 2011, 10:23 PM
8hrs car shopping? did ya find anything?
an 05 pilot, 04 highlander and went as far as to do paperwork on a 09 flex,,, the salesman recollected it was 21.5, I asked to double check the $$$ and they came back at 25!!!!!

I'm gonna try one last flex in the springs Monday. If not the pilots looking like "the one"

Captain Obvious
Sat Jan 8th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Still ironing all the bugs out on my jeep to get it ready for trails. Perhaps later in the year. :)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/funksouljon/FSJ%20pics/FSJprojects007.jpg

age315
Sat Jan 8th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I might be down to go but I don't really know of to many places. I got my jeep the middle of last year and have only gone a few times. I'd like to go somewhere not too bad. Here's a pic of her it's not a great one. This what off of fire road 315 near monument if I remember correctly.

Rooster
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 07:48 AM
an 05 pilot, 04 highlander and went as far as to do paperwork on a 09 flex,,, the salesman recollected it was 21.5, I asked to double check the $$$ and they came back at 25!!!!!

I'm gonna try one last flex in the springs Monday. If not the pilots looking like "the one"

a buddy of mine has a pilot and he loves it. just enough room but yet small enough to make you feel like your not driving a tank.

Rooster
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=Captain Obvious;537138]Still ironing all the bugs out on my jeep to get it ready for trails. Perhaps later in the year. :)

what kind of problems you got with it?

Rooster
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I might be down to go but I don't really know of to many places. I got my jeep the middle of last year and have only gone a few times. I'd like to go somewhere not too bad. Here's a pic of her it's not a great one. This what off of fire road 315 near monument if I remember correctly.

what size tires and lift you got on there? if im right i only got 2.5 body lift and 31's.
im looking into a 4" suspension lift and maybe some 33's or 35's, alone with the right gear set so i dont tear anything up. lol

Rooster
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 07:59 AM
anyone know how the engines in these things run? i got the 4.0 with 175k. ive been told they will last forever as long as you keep up with the maintnence and oil. ive seen and old 4cyl with 300k on it and it still ran like a champ. the guy drives it back and fourth to work everyday. is this with all the engines?

bodhizafa
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I had a few jeeps (older wranglers). They always ran, not great or smooth, but they would always run. They also always had little nagging problems like leaking head gaskets or something. Fun rides.

spdu4ia
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 10:13 AM
great buy... you'll love it

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5204/5307396521_5acbb7fef4_z.jpg

Captain Obvious
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=Captain Obvious;537138]Still ironing all the bugs out on my jeep to get it ready for trails. Perhaps later in the year. :)

what kind of problems you got with it?

Oh, let me count the ways..... The background is I got it for $500, not running (but close) and after she sat for 18 months. She currently runs, just keeping it to in-town driving to flesh out any new bugs while I tackle the existing list. Current projects are:

Complete replacement of all door lock actuator and window tracks, reassemble the doors.
Fix window and lock on tail gate
Replace grill and headlight systems
Electrical issue with sunroof
Insulate the roof
Grind roof to metal and prime hood and roof

I finally have it so she will start pretty much every time I wanna drive her. Already completed:
Tuneup
replace ignition/plugs/wires
2 inch lift
new tires
new stereo and front speakers

FZRguy
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I’ve got a 1990 Wrangler with the 4 cyl that I bought new in late ’89. She’s at 161k, still runs good and just passed emissions. Pretty weak running on the hwy or up a pass but good for off road and around town. Mine is bone stock (even the clutch is original) and I need to yank it out and replace all the gaskets, valve job, new clutch, etc. She’s been a very good vehicle, been paid off since 1993, and has stranded me only twice (water pump, fuel pump). Great vehicle when the weather sucks. Pic is from a hut trip we did in 2008.

Bueller
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I loved my Jeep but I doubt I would own another one.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/Dirtandcamp/CIMG1680.jpg

Sarge
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I had an '87 "Street" Commanche with 190,00 miles on it. Head gasket leaked like a mother, tossed a belt or two, plugged up thermostat blew off a radiator hose. Nothing serious, and she always ran. It was a fun vehicle while it lasted.

salsashark
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 12:38 PM
anyone know how the engines in these things run? i got the 4.0 with 175k. ive been told they will last forever as long as you keep up with the maintnence and oil. ive seen and old 4cyl with 300k on it and it still ran like a champ. the guy drives it back and fourth to work everyday. is this with all the engines?

Generally, the 4L is a bullet proof engine. Long running, but not the most powerful platform out there... hence the stroker options as well as the v8 swaps that are common with trail rigs.

IIRC, the only major problem with these engines were the plastic valve covers (if you were unlucky enough to get one). As they aged, they warped and leaked. It's fairly common and a quick google search will flood you with aluminum swap options.

I only kept my jeep for a couple of years. It was fun while I had it, just unpractical as an only car. If I were to get another one, it would be a toy, nothing more.

Rooster
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 12:39 PM
[QUOTE=mutantsquirl;537142]

Oh, let me count the ways..... The background is I got it for $500, not running (but close) and after she sat for 18 months. She currently runs, just keeping it to in-town driving to flesh out any new bugs while I tackle the existing list. Current projects are:

Complete replacement of all door lock actuator and window tracks, reassemble the doors.
Fix window and lock on tail gate
Replace grill and headlight systems
Electrical issue with sunroof
Insulate the roof
Grind roof to metal and prime hood and roof

I finally have it so she will start pretty much every time I wanna drive her. Already completed:
Tuneup
replace ignition/plugs/wires
2 inch lift
new tires
new stereo and front speakers

if ya need any help ill be happy to help out. i have off till the 19th i think cause of another knee surgeory. so sitting at the house doing nothing is gonna make me crazy.

Rooster
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 12:43 PM
i heard allot about the head gaskets leaking. mine arent leaking yet but if and when they do i think ill just put in a bigger motor and leave the 4.0 as a backup or rebuild it. and put it into a project jeep for a toy or something.

salsashark
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 12:48 PM
My TJ had 120K+ miles on it and didn't leak a drop. I was running a stock drive train w/ a 2" lift and 32s. It got me wherever I needed to go without being too unruly on the road.

Rooster
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 01:29 PM
what about the transmission? i havent heard anyhting about the toughness or longtivity on them yet.

salsashark
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Never had any issues with mine (5 speed manual). For a daily driver it was fine. I'd venture a guess that if you start in with serious mods, you may want to look further into it. Also, if you're Planning a 4" or more lift, you definitely want to invest in a slip yoke eliminator kit.

Rooster
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 02:33 PM
i heard about that. whats the deal with it?

salsashark
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM
In a nutshell, it locks the front driveshaft into the transfer case. With increased lift and suspension articulation, the stock yoke can fall out of the transfer case. Once you go above 4", your drive angles make this a lot easier.

Bests thing to do is figure out exactly what you want to do with the jeep, then consult a company like Rusty's and they'll set you up. Dail Driver, Rock Crawler, high speed, low speed, mud... all require certain modifications that if done right the first time will save you a ton of money. You think motorcycles are expensive? You aint seen nothing yet! :lol:

If you haven't already, check out http://www.colorado4x4.org. Good local forum.

Rooster
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 03:05 PM
appreciate the link. ill look into it.

age315
Sun Jan 9th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Mine has a 2 1/2 inch suspension and a 1 inch body lift. I'm running 33 - 12.50s and it rubs a bit in the front under heavy articulation. When I bought it there were 35s on it and I had to get rid of them. I kinda of wish I went with 32s and I might after these wear out.

extremepaint
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Wtf am i about the only toyota in the group? Haha oh well ill follow any jeep on any trail as long as its not liberty indy blanca peak or other 8+ rated trail! I have plenty of experiance with the local trails aswell

Rooster
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 06:42 AM
well my jeep is also my daily driver. so im not gonna do anything that will break something. lol. i think at most ill add a lift, tires, hardcore bumpers for the crazy springs drivers, winch. and maybe some body protection stuff.

Rooster
Mon Jan 10th, 2011, 10:16 AM
just put it in the garage to melt the snow off. good god does it do good in the snow! i tried to get the back end to spin around but it only did it once and then straightened up on its own. and in 4 wheel drive its like driving on regular dry concrete.