PDA

View Full Version : Help on a 1969 Honda Cl175

colopirate
Tue Jan 11th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Hey all, I am new to the site and bikes, just got my first one last summer, but it isnt running. I was wondering if anyone up here in Fort Collins would be willing to give me a hand looking at it and let me know what it needs (maybe for a six pack ?) or anyone could suggest a good place thats not a rip off to take it into and have it checked out. Thanks all.

mathman1000
Tue Jan 11th, 2011, 09:26 PM
There is a motorcycle repair shop in Fort Collins about quarter mile west on Drake from the intersection of Drake and Taft Hill Rd, located on the south side of the road. The field in front has some motorhomes and trailers parked in it. It's a small local garage located behind the automotive garage in front of it. Obviously I can't remember the name of it, but I've done business there before and they seemed like good guys. If you go there in the summer there is a motorcycle grave yard behind the shop with some interesting things in it.

FZRguy
Tue Jan 11th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Holy flashback there colopirate. Post up some pics of your CL175.

FZ1Guy
Wed Jan 12th, 2011, 11:13 AM
OMG.... that was my first 4-stroke MC... Cool!!!:p

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Jan 12th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Would be very interested in a peek at it. You want "help" or someone to do it for you? I would normally prefer to help teach a guy how to do things for themselves. I work for beer - the dumber you are, the more of your beer I drink until the job gets done.

colopirate
Wed Jan 12th, 2011, 08:23 PM
thanks for the replies, I did a google search and found that shop, tony's or something like that. Seemed to have good reviews and i could probably use a good junkyard. I'll post some pics, I've done some cosmetic stuff to it since i was in a metal fab coarse and had access to tools to make stuff. It was in bad shape when I picked it up, dreams of turning it into a cafe racer.

before

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h221/BHALE1987/CIMG0989.jpg

now

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h221/BHALE1987/CIMG1183.jpg

I know I should get it running before worrying about looks, but I had a chance to work on it, so I did.

colopirate
Wed Jan 12th, 2011, 08:25 PM
TinkerinWstuff,

I'd be interested in that, I got the bike wanting to learn, but have had trouble finding much help so I was gonna turn to a shop, but if youre willing to help and teach some time, I will stock up some brews! Let me know.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Jan 12th, 2011, 08:56 PM
that's pretty awesome. You see that show Cafe Racer on the channel HD Theater? Some pretty cool builds. Maybe swap out that front triple clamp for a more modern front end and disc brake? You'll be tearing up the canyons.

Shoot me a PM with your number and we'll set something up.

colopirate
Wed Jan 12th, 2011, 09:38 PM
i just watched two episodes tonight, love it. I wish I could afford a new front end... but i'm a broke college student, just want to get her up and running, and upgrade where i can along the way.

colopirate
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 03:18 PM
so over the summer i had spark and compression, and now it seems my spark is gone. anyone have any idea on what i should look at?

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 03:20 PM
points and condenser

usmcab35
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 03:23 PM
+1 on putting a modern front end on it, you can get a gixer 6 or r6 front end on ebay for pretty cheap, that is what my next project will be.. good luck with the build, and as always, more pictures the better!

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM
If you leave the key on and the crank is positioned in the right spot, the battery will burn up your points. Easiest explanation for why you could have had spark before and not now. Happens all the time. Otherwise, something became disconnected while you were tinkering with your mods.

http://www.speedmotoco.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=634.00016.

usmcab35
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 04:41 PM
a mouse? lol j/k but more that likely what tinkerin said.. that is what happened to a project i bought off craigslist, i just replaced the points and presto!

OUTLAWD
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Don't mess with the front end...

you will probably spend more on a set of forks than you have into the bike already. There were a couple of guys redo-ing CB 160's and racing them, with stock forks and skinny tires.

I'd get it running and cover the basics and just rock it out for now man...looks like it will be pretty damn awesome! I am pretty handy, but don't have much experience with older bikes. I will say that if you can get your hands on a service manual, it will be your best friend. If you end up needing a hand with something...shoot me a PM or something

FZRguy
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I can't see a R6 front end on a '69 CL175.....wouldn't even be right.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I can't see a R6 front end on a '69 CL175.....wouldn't even be right.

Let me help your imagination

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF_UHbqz9FGiwF8-mptqj3FMogdGi9SP6r0xO_BvpQzFN872FE&t=1

OUTLAWD
Thu Jan 20th, 2011, 07:49 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF_UHbqz9FGiwF8-mptqj3FMogdGi9SP6r0xO_BvpQzFN872FE&t=1

^^ didn't know R6's came with single pot calipers and single sided rotor...if the suggestion was for a RD350 front end swap, that wouldn't be such a far fetched idea ;)

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jan 20th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Are we going to sit around and split hairs? As I said, "let me help your imagination". In other words, here's a cafe racer with a more modern front end than drum brakes.

If i had the disposable income, I'd build one with inverted forks and a single sided swing arm.

usmcab35
Thu Jan 20th, 2011, 08:09 AM
yea the r6 front end would be out there but then again, i like to think outside the box, i dont like having the same as everyone when it comes to projects, i like to do what no one else would do, but to each his own... good luck with the bike, cant wait to see it.

colopirate
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 01:41 PM
So, My spark is back! I've been trying to kick it over with no luck though, I've been spraying engine starter into the carb filters and kicking it over with no luck, any suggestions on what it could be?

usmcab35
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 01:47 PM
So, My spark is back! I've been trying to kick it over with no luck though, I've been spraying engine starter into the carb filters and kicking it over with no luck, any suggestions on what it could be?

old :dunno:
haha try spraying it straight into the carbs and not just in the filters, most of it might be getting caught in the filters, and like always just triple check everything..

asp_125
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Spark - check
Fuel (Starter fluid) - check
Air - ?

Take the air filters off, spray directly into the carb and see if it fires.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 02:29 PM
agreed.

I forgot about bringing you my fuel can. Did you get a tank or are you just trying to see if it'll attempt to fire?

usmcab35
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Spark - check
Fuel (Starter fluid) - check
Air - ?

Take the air filters off, spray directly into the carb and see if it fires.

copycat :lol:

colopirate
Thu Jan 27th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I'll give that a try, right now I'm just trying to fire it up and give it a listen. I haven't gotten a new tank yet, it's on the list though. Thanks every one, I'll keep ya posted.

colopirate
Sun Feb 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM
so, I've been trying to get her started every now and again with carb cleaner, and am having no luck. I know the bike originally had a ignition button, so i tried hooking a horn button i have to where i think is where the ignition wire goes, and i blew my fuse, no noise or anything, the bike light just went out, and my fuse was blown.

any ideas on what could be wrong?