PDA

View Full Version : Fork Seals

Brahma
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Anyone know what the damage is to repair the fork seals on a gsxr? I need to get them done, they are leaking bad and getting a little spooky to ride.

BlueDevil
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 03:16 PM
TK is about 125.00. That included polishing the tubes for nicks. Im very happy with mine. BUddy of mine has a Gixxer and it was 134.00 at TK but had a minor repair to do also.......

Brahma
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 05:09 PM
ouch, so this is going to be more than I thought. lol. Anyone had any experience with either APEX or Rocky Mountain? Anyone know if 4play motorsports does this kind of work?

Mel
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I just bought the parts and did my own!
Though the cost for the parts alone was like $80 or something stupid like that.

R1chie
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 09:29 PM
You did not tell us what bike you had.

For an 04 yamaha r1 the cost for a single forks seal is
$6.48

If you get the seal, washer seal, snap ring, and a new dust seal, it is less than $19 for each side. Add your fork oil and 1 time purchase of special tools (if needed but usually do) and you are there.

http://yamaha.dgy.com/parts.aspx

rybo
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 11:14 PM
If you are at all mechanically inclined doing this yourself is really easy. I did a set on a triumph daytona, a honda hawk and an FZR400. I takes me about 1 hour per leg and in none of these cases did it cost more than $40 for parts.

If you aren't mechanically inclined TK or TFOG are probably your best bets for reasonably priced quality work.

S

Mel
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 11:16 PM
hmmm, either I am not at all recalling what it cost me, or I got screwed on parts.
I think I did both seals, dust shields, fork oil, and something else all at the same time though.

GSXR-ATW
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Dave at Cynister did mine on my old gsxr600 for $80

Anonymous
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 11:16 AM
You did not tell us what bike you had.:wtf: okay, maybe not the specific year & model, but "gsxr" doesn't leave many questions unanswered.

Dave at Cynister did mine on my old gsxr600 for $80
BTW, Cynister Cycles is an official CSC sponsor ;)
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/sponsors.html#cynister

Brahma
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Oh its a 2003 GSXR600. I am not mechanically inclined when it comes to bikes, cars is another story but something about bikes scare me.

Is Cynister in the springs?

«TigerTamer»
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 02:39 PM
I guess I just got raped! Just last week it cost me $450, but I had to replace the front brake pads as well, because they got contaminated with the oil from the leaky fork seals.

:cussing:

Mel
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 02:47 PM
If you can work on cars, you could probably handle the bike, at least the seals...they are really not that different than any other gasket set up. You might hit up the PDF manuals on here, take a look at the illustrations and decide if you want to go for it or not. They are just two tubes that fit inside each other, with a springs, and seals to hold the oil in. Nothing really technical about them.

Anonymous
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Is Cynister in the springs?
Yes, that's the reason I recommended them to you (over some of the shops here in Denver). 8) Contact info is in the link I provided above (in fact, had you clicked on it, you should have seen that ;) ).

Bueller
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I guess I just got raped! Just last week it cost me $450, but I had to replace the front brake pads as well, because they got contaminated with the oil from the leaky fork seals.

:shock: Holy shit!

«TigerTamer»
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 05:34 PM

:shock: Holy shit!

yea, tell me about it!! I also had to replace the tires (another $500). The bike is MINT!!! I mean totally MMMIIINNTTT!!!!, buy the original owner let sit for so long that all the rubber dried up.

Bueller
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 06:46 PM
You really need to consult this board before you get anymore work done cause you just put somebodies kids through a semester of college :P

«TigerTamer»
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 06:49 PM
You really need to consult this board before you get anymore work done cause you just put somebodies kids through a semester of college :P

What can I say - "NEWBIE" - yup, now I know. Part of the problem is that no one seems to want to work on a Triumph except the Triumph dealer.