PDA

View Full Version : Broncos new head coach is......

Cat118!
Thu Jan 13th, 2011, 02:35 PM
John Fox of the Carolina Panthers

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=175436&catid=339

salsashark
Thu Jan 13th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Could it be any worse than McHoody?

Squisha
Thu Jan 13th, 2011, 04:05 PM
If he drafts another quarterback, then I say yes.

If not, then we might, I say, might, have a chance.

FZRguy
Thu Jan 13th, 2011, 09:52 PM
He has 9 seasons as an NFL Head Coach. I like him.....so far.

Captain Obvious
Thu Jan 13th, 2011, 09:52 PM
First he must trade for a QB. Then draft another for a lot of money. :)

GuitarX
Thu Jan 13th, 2011, 10:15 PM
The Broncos win all of 4 games this year and then hire a coach who won all of 2 games.

2011 = Another wasted season for the Broncs. I'll take a shot of whatever Elway's drinking.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Thu Jan 13th, 2011, 10:23 PM
The Broncos win all of 4 games this year and then hire a coach who won all of 2 games.

2011 = Another wasted season for the Broncs. I'll take a shot of whatever Elway's drinking.

Yeah I was wondering about this as well. I wonder how much this decision has to do with the fact the Donkeys are still paying for two other coaches for a couple of years?

FZRguy
Thu Jan 13th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Take away this season, and Fox has a very good record over the last eight seasons. Carolina had a rookie QB this year, and other problems. They very nearly won the Super Bowl in 2003 under Fox, after a 1-15 2001 season.

JustSomeDude
Fri Jan 14th, 2011, 12:28 AM

Look at Fox's entire time in Carolina - as it's pretty impressive. As for the 2010 season, they were pretty much screwed after the decline and ultimate release of Delhomme, as they had to scrape the California Penal League for anyone to jump on the field to take the snaps...

"The Panthers lost several key players during the 2010 off-season, including quarterback Jake Delhomme, defensive end Julius Peppers, wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad, and cornerback Dante Wesley. Their most notable draft pick was Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen. Matt Moore started as QB when the Panthers lost in New York during Week 1, and then fell at home to Tampa Bay. The 0–2 team then benched Matt Moore and installed Jimmy Clausen as starting quarterback. After suffering further defeats against Cincinnati, New Orleans, and Chicago, Carolina entered its bye week at 0–5. Moore was brought out as starter again in Week 7 and the Panthers got their first win by defeating San Francisco 23–20. Following another seven-game losing streak, in which Matt Moore was placed on season-ending injured reserve, Jimmy Clausen lead the Panthers to their second win, a 19–12 victory over the Cardinals. The Panthers finished the season 2–14."

(from Wikipedia)

GuitarX
Fri Jan 14th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Yeah I was wondering about this as well. I wonder how much this decision has to do with the fact the Donkeys are still paying for two other coaches for a couple of years?

Exactly. They needed someone cheap as they're still paying millions for Shanahan and that last numbskull. I'll bet there's a clause in Fox' contract that says if he doesn't perform they can fire him without having to pay out the remainder. This allows them to rebuild on the cheap and then when they don't have to pay Shanahan anymore they can buy a real coach.

Those of you saying this guy had a great career with the Panthers...I don't agree. I think I saw somewhere that his overall record in Carolina was 73 wins and 71 losses. Pretty mediocre in my book. Just because he took a losing team and brought them up for a few years doesn't make him a coaching genius. Time will tell but I think they bought this guy at the dollar store and they're just biding their time until they can afford a top-notch coach to rebuild again. I wonder how much power this coach will actually have with Elway taking the reigns. I think Elway will be the puppet master next year. Who knows, they might get lucky but they need to bring in some talent. Right now, their roster is pretty thin.

Mother Goose
Fri Jan 14th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Maybe he can coach them on how to be the worst team in the league, instead of tied for 2nd worst. ;)

JustSomeDude
Fri Jan 14th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Those of you saying this guy had a great career with the Panthers...I don't agree. I think I saw somewhere that his overall record in Carolina was 73 wins and 71 losses. Pretty mediocre in my book. Just because he took a losing team and brought them up for a few years doesn't make him a coaching genius. Time will tell but I think they bought this guy at the dollar store and they're just biding their time until they can afford a top-notch coach to rebuild again.

So... with all the hating going on around John Fox, I'd really like some one to explain what an "elite" coach is that will drive the Broncos to the Super Bowl in two years?

Look at Shanahan- he went 24-24 in his last 3 years with the Broncos after taking them to back to back Super Bowls in the 90's. That's also "pretty mediocre" for a coach adored by most Denver-ites. Is it not? As for the Cower, Gruden, Dungy lovers- look at the stats... not A SINGLE NFL HEAD COACH has EVER won a Super Bowl with two teams! Yes, multiple head coaches have gone with two teams, and lost. So the fact that Fox hasn't won a Super Bowl ever is actually a statistical positive.

Coordinators are gambles because - as we well know - they don't always translate their coordinating successes into head coaching success. Superstar college coaches have failed to bring winning records in the NFL.

So - honestly - what is it? What's the magical solution to make Broncos fans happy?!?!

Or maybe that's just it... they're never happy.

/vent

salsashark
Fri Jan 14th, 2011, 10:09 AM
So - honestly - what is it? What's the magical solution to make Broncos fans happy?!?!

Or maybe that's just it... they're never happy.

/vent

ding ding ding... we have a winner.

Simply stated, haters gonna hate. regardless.

I think the Bronco's need an authoritarian coach that will whip them back into shape. They are heading down the same road as teams like the Redskins. I'm hoping for the best.

1. rebuild a competent defense
2. continue to build up Tebow (if he really is God's gift to QB, then the Broncos need to retain and educate him)
----2a. If they are going the Tebow route, cut Orton while his stock's high. I liked him and don't want to see him get screwed out of a starting QB position.
3. quite throwing out good players and keeping the mediocre. Hillis anybody?