PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Riding?

675Rider
Fri Jan 14th, 2011, 06:08 AM
So anyone have any experience riding in Hawaii? Wife really wants to go there next. Ive been doing some research and there is no longer a roadcourse track on ANY of the islands apparently, which greatly sucks! Just wondering if there is any good riding at all there.

Devaclis
Fri Jan 14th, 2011, 08:58 AM
We were in Oahu in August. Rented a Fatboy for the entire day for $175. Rode from Waikiki to the North Shore along the coast. Stopped at Diamondhead and Turtle Beach along with a few stops at some local eating spots. Great scenery. The road goes from Beach, to clif side, to rain forrest, and even some interior small town stuff. It was a fantastic experience. It is a great "cruzing" island. There is really no place anywhere to open up on a sportbike. Sure, you can find some ranch roads in the interior but they are pretty straight and boring.

I don't know about the other islands. Hope this helps a little.

bornwildnfree
Fri Jan 14th, 2011, 09:13 AM
We actually have CSC members in Hawaii now since Kristina moved there. She says the riding is awesome.

vegasbound
Fri Jan 14th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I've always wanted to ride "The road to Hanna" on Maui.

ChrisCBX
Fri Jan 14th, 2011, 02:24 PM

The road to Hana would be a blast on a bike.

The road up to the top (over 10,000 feet) of the Haleakala volcano on Maui would be hard to beat anywhere. Sport bikes are rare on Maui but we saw a guy in full leathers, riding an R1 on this road in December. He looked like he was having fun for sure.

salsashark
Fri Jan 14th, 2011, 02:35 PM

I've never been to Hawaii, but that is definitely one hell of a squiggly line!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=The+road+to+Hanna&sll=20.457896,-155.808105&sspn=7.416839,12.359619&ie=UTF8&ll=20.858972,-156.139412&spn=0.115656,0.258522&t=h&z=13

:drool:

Jim_Vess
Fri Jan 14th, 2011, 04:41 PM
The Big Island has some great roads and not a lot of traffic.

FZRguy
Fri Jan 14th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I spent some time at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel when I was 13. Sure would like to go back! I've read some articles about trail riding (moto and MTB) that looked awesome.

675Rider
Fri Jan 14th, 2011, 11:45 PM
@ Salsashark, yeah that does look like a decent road!

I just wish there was a track still! I have a motard I ride on the street and that scene seems to be pretty good there. Heard there are some kart tracks you can get on. Just no HPR there! Booo!

thaitanic
Sat Jan 15th, 2011, 09:14 AM
hawaii sucks big time for sportbikes..i saw few cbr,r1,gixxers..all parked by gas stations and ABC stores. sportbikes are mostly for show, not riding over in hawaii.

pannetron
Sat Jan 15th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Hawaii is great for cruising, not so great for sport biking. Local law enforcement and touron traffic make any fast riding potentially expensive and dangerous. Rent a cruiser and hang loose at island speed! The rain there is warm so even riding in the rain can be pleasant.

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Jan 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I've been to Maui, Oahu, and Kauai. Didn't get to ride but wished I would have. No doubt it would be a great time. Probably suck rocks if you lived there. Kind of like only getting to ride Peak to Peak highway. A limited number of cool roads makes for fun the first time or two but gets old rather quick.

Maui, the road up to Haleakala would be awesome too.

675Rider
Sun Jan 16th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Im possibly moving there as my next duty station, not a vacation.