PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lines

Hunter68D
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I was thinking about getting new brake lines for my bike and couldn't make up my mind between kelvar and steel. I know that steel braided are really good but I don't know anything about kelvar lines. So if you could tell me anything about them good or bad and maybe make suggestion I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

~Barn~
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 05:07 PM
What'up Jeremy.

I don't know anything about kevlar lines, but I sure do love my steelbraided! ;)

Feathered upstart!
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 05:35 PM
When it comes right down to it theres very little difference. They both perform the same function, being the resist expanding like rubber lines.

Its like Ford vs Chevy... what ever you like.

Anonymous
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Kevlar are a bit lighter, perform just as well, however they don't crash so good. Steel lines are very crashworthy, and as such are the usual thing for race bikes.

What kind of bike, what application (street, street/track, or race?)

Feathered upstart!
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Thats an excellent point Ralph. It had not previously occured to me that steel would fare better in a crash.

Fly boy
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I have no complaints with my steel braided :)

well cept there not purple :)

Hunter68D
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 06:33 PM
There mostly for the street but I hope to get a track day in ever now and again. The bike is a 04 ZX10R. The main reason I'm asking is that the Kevlar line are a little cheaper and my brakes right now get soft if I'm riding kind of hard.

Bertha
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I have no complaints with my steel braided :)

well cept there not purple :)

god you are so ghey!

Anonymous
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 09:32 PM
There mostly for the street but I hope to get a track day in ever now and again. The bike is a 04 ZX10R. The main reason I'm asking is that the Kevlar line are a little cheaper and my brakes right now get soft if I'm riding kind of hard.

Kevlar lines will be fine for you. Also, change the brake fluid!!..!!! Pads may need replacement as well, if they're OEM and it was my bike I'd replace them out of principle alone.

Devil954
Tue Apr 19th, 2005, 09:44 PM
I just installed kevlar lines and like them so far . it seems like brakelines are pretty well protected from a crash damaging them :dunno: