PDA

View Full Version : Track Newbie

Sillisquid
Sun Jan 16th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Hey everyone,

I know this question has been asked (and answered) several times before, but it appears that those posts are quite old, and a lot of the info I'm trying to gather is spread out across the site.

I've been a street rider for several years now (MSF trained), and want to try things out on the track. I even picked up an SV650 to become my dedicated track bike (I don't want to drop my Monster!).

I know that riding on the track is very different from street riding, and I want to do things safely. So I've been looking up various educational options. I'd love to fly out to CA/NV and enroll in a CSS class. But let's be honest, who has $2400 burning a hole in their pockets for a 2-day class? Any other cheaper solutions? I read on this forum that I should look up Chicane, but their website's schedule is currently dated at 2009, and doesn't really have a wealth of knowledge.

As much as I'd love to just jump on the track for HPR's Lapping Day, I really want to get some good training before I get out there. Any suggestions? I'm even willing to travel out of state if the price is right.

Yeah, I know it's still January, and there's a sheet of ice on my driveway, but I'm in planning mode.

Thanks!

asp_125
Sun Jan 16th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Chicane, Ricky Orlando, there are several options locally to get an intro to track. One way to start is to ask around on the MRA board. http://www.mra-racing.org/

rybo
Sun Jan 16th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Chicane is my gig, I'm sorry, but I've not done a good job of keeping the site updated.

I'm working on a couple of weekend days for Chicane right now, but they aren't firm yet, and will likely fall in the middle of the season.

Best bang for the buck?

Come take the MRA race school in April. We offer a classroom session on a friday evening followed by a day of on track instruction with some of the best riders around. The instructors for the MRA school are accomplished racers and teachers. Many have won class championships and all have multiple podium finishes in our club.

The classroom portion will be on Friday April 9th. The on track sessions will take place either the 10th and 11th (pick one) or the 16th and 17th depending on the weather.

Best part? This whole experience only costs $200.

If you need to borrow gear I / we have a ton of it that we can lend out. Suits, back protectors, gloves, I even have a couple pair of boots.

The SV is a GREAT bike for what you're trying to do.

Please feel free to PM me if have any other questions.

Scott

Sillisquid
Sun Jan 16th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Chicane is my gig, I'm sorry, but I've not done a good job of keeping the site updated.

Scott, thanks for the response, and I apologize. I meant no offense. I've heard many, many good things about Chicane. One of the guys at Performance Cycle highly recommended learning through you.

I was reading up on the MRA race school on the MRA website. As soon as it's up on the HPR website, I'll register.

Thanks for the offer on gear. I'm still working on my wishlist for what to buy, and will probably create a separate thread here to ask for opinions (I have a post up on sportbikes.net).

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the form on the MRA website to register for the Race School. Looking forward to it!

rybo
Mon Jan 17th, 2011, 05:55 AM
No offense taken, your observation is totally valid. I'm glad that you've heard gear thing about my program.

There's lots of good gear out there. In my opinion this is an area where " you get what you pay for" totally applies. That being said the "best" gear out there is the stuff that fits you the best. The highest rated suit or helmet does you no good if it's even one size too big, or doest fit your head / body shape.

Ayden Lee Designs sponsors the MRA superstreet series. They make leather race suits and as a part of their sponsorship have given us a size run of suits to let students use. You're welcome to try these on for size and see if you like them. Performance is also a fantastic shop that's been a supporter of the MRA and racing for years.

Thanks for tour interest! Welcome to the addiction.

Scott

UglyDogRacing
Mon Jan 17th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Scott failed to mention the MRA's new Super Street class. For $100 you get professional instruction (both classroom and on-track) and participate in an exhibition race at the end of the day. This takes place on the Saturday's of the MRA race weekends. After 2 classes, you can apply for your race license.
More info here - http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=10722&start=42

http://filezilla.mra-racing.org/files/2011SuperStreetPoster_Web.jpg

vort3xr6
Mon Jan 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Get ready for an addiction. Once you go track, you never go back.

Snowman
Mon Jan 17th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Having worked my way up into racing over the past 2 years and can offer my advice.

My first choice would be Chicane Days because they do offer classroom instruction and slow, medium and fast riding groups. It was the best $200.00 I ever spent. It got me on the track under controlled conditions that allowed me to get the feel of racing. It's a whole new level than the street.

The next step I took was to work MRA races as a corner worker. They pay you good money to watch the really good racers go by and show you their lines. I found that invaluable later on. (Example: Turn 10 Pueblo as seen in my avatar pic)

Then this last season I started out racing Super Street. For $100.00 I got to know exactly what I was getting into. I could ask any question at anytime which helped. But lining up on a start grid, well lets say I have never had anything close to that kind of high on the street. 7 laps and you'll know it.

Two races later and I had a race license.

Sillisquid
Mon Jan 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I was about to sign up for the MRA Race School, but I'll be on a business trip at the same time. Damn.

Any other options? Anything going on in March?

The Super Street looks pretty sweet. Hopefully I'll be able to partake in that.

Bueller
Mon Jan 17th, 2011, 05:13 PM
If you do a track day at HPR or even go to IMI for your first few times, just ask for some guidance and many helpful people will volunteer to get you squared away.

tecknojoe
Mon Jan 17th, 2011, 05:16 PM
+1 to cornerworking. I volunteered back in WV for every race just so i could get closer to pick up tips. You'd be amazed at how much you learn from watching. It's also pretty cool to be so close that u can tell who's trail braking and who isn't.

I look forward to working races out here once the season arrives. I haven't gotten into all the info yet though

Bueller
Mon Jan 17th, 2011, 05:58 PM
+1 to cornerworking. I volunteered back in WV for every race just so i could get closer to pick up tips. You'd be amazed at how much you learn from watching. It's also pretty cool to be so close that u can tell who's trail braking and who isn't.

I look forward to working races out here once the season arrives. I haven't gotten into all the info yet though
http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=91e1ef841317d8b73b5b099766beee06

tecknojoe
Mon Jan 17th, 2011, 06:30 PM
http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=91e1ef841317d8b73b5b099766beee06

This is great, thanks. Reading about the up-coming season has me very excited to get back out there to watch, and hit a few track days along the way. Currently, I'm in contact with the folks that cornerwork MotoGP at Laguna Seca. I believe I will spend that week working out there :multi:

r6rammy
Mon Feb 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM
really good info. I'm not looking to get into racing as of now, buy just love to improve my riding skills. Any trackday orgs than help in doing so? I'm used to running with RideSmart in Texas and they were a class org, hope to find one here too. Class room and on track sessions were great.

One thing that bothers me still is someone passing me on the inside of a turn. In TX, they dont allow inside passing upto intermediate group, only advanced group can pass in the inside of a turn.

UglyDogRacing
Mon Feb 21st, 2011, 04:19 PM
really good info. I'm not looking to get into racing as of now, buy just love to improve my riding skills. Any trackday orgs than help in doing so? I'm used to running with RideSmart in Texas and they were a class org, hope to find one here too. Class room and on track sessions were great.

One thing that bothers me still is someone passing me on the inside of a turn. In TX, they dont allow inside passing upto intermediate group, only advanced group can pass in the inside of a turn.

Check out the MRA's Super Street class - http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12495

Sarge
Mon Feb 21st, 2011, 11:19 PM

I'm working on a couple of weekend days for Chicane right now, but they aren't firm yet, and will likely fall in the middle of the season.

Best bang for the buck?

Come take the MRA race school in April. We offer a classroom session on a friday evening followed by a day of on track instruction with some of the best riders around. The instructors for the MRA school are accomplished racers and teachers. Many have won class championships and all have multiple podium finishes in our club.

The classroom portion will be on Friday April 9th. The on track sessions will take place either the 10th and 11th (pick one) or the 16th and 17th depending on the weather.

Best part? This whole experience only costs $200.

If you need to borrow gear I / we have a ton of it that we can lend out. Suits, back protectors, gloves, I even have a couple pair of boots.

The SV is a GREAT bike for what you're trying to do.

Please feel free to PM me if have any other questions.

Scott

Anything going on May/June-ish? Got a few weeks of leave around this time and I'd like to take both classes, if available.

TransNone13
Mon Feb 21st, 2011, 11:58 PM
Having worked my way up into racing over the past 2 years and can offer my advice.

My first choice would be Chicane Days because they do offer classroom instruction and slow, medium and fast riding groups. It was the best $200.00 I ever spent. It got me on the track under controlled conditions that allowed me to get the feel of racing. It's a whole new level than the street.

The next step I took was to work MRA races as a corner worker. They pay you good money to watch the really good racers go by and show you their lines. I found that invaluable later on. (Example: Turn 10 Pueblo as seen in my avatar pic)

Then this last season I started out racing Super Street. For $100.00 I got to know exactly what I was getting into. I could ask any question at anytime which helped. But lining up on a start grid, well lets say I have never had anything close to that kind of high on the street. 7 laps and you'll know it.

Two races later and I had a race license.

Turn 10, the bane of my existence; get a little amped up and you pay for it. I'll see you gentlemen out there June/July.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:46 AM
Anything going on May/June-ish? Got a few weeks of leave around this time and I'd like to take both classes, if available.

5 motorcycle lapping days in May/June at HPR - http://highplainsraceway.com/events.html

Sarge
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:51 AM
5 motorcycle lapping days in May/June at HPR - http://highplainsraceway.com/events.html

As awesome as that sounds, I'm looking a little more for an Education type event. I've never been on a track in my life and I'm nothing spectactular on the street.

Snowman
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
The MRA School would be your best bet in April.

You don't have to buy a racing license after you take the class. The day is more about how to get around the track, dealing with traffic, race lines, etc.. Very similar to a Chicane Day.

The pluses to the race school over Chicane is that you are quantified for a race license if you want one, you get to practice starts and a mock race. Once you have this amount of back ground you will be safe to practice at any track day.

dragos13
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:01 AM
As awesome as that sounds, I'm looking a little more for an Education type event. I've never been on a track in my life and I'm nothing spectactular on the street.

Definitely look into the MRA race school. It consists of classroom time the night before and a full day of riding with very educated and knowledgeable instructors. It will also certify you if you ever decide to try your hand in racing.

If those dates don't work, Chicane is also a great organization to help any rider from track virgins to weekend warriors.

Being an instructor for both, I can help answer any questions and get you going in the right direction.

Sarge
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks,

Any more info on the MRA School? Dates/Prices?

(Sorry to threadjack OP, but at least it's relevant. :))

Snowman
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:04 AM
Not at all, the more info we can pass the better.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12289

Here is all the info and contacts...

dragos13
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:07 AM
Copied from MRA forum:

Here's the deal. As of this moment, the FRIDAY NIGHT CLASSROOM will be on Friday, April 8th 2011.

The track session will be your choice of either a Saturday OR Sunday.

Here's where it's tricky...

Depending on weather, we'll do the track session EITHER that weekend (April 9th & 10th) or the FOLLOWING weekend (April 16th & 17th). We'll make the decison on Friday the 8th at the classroom. So be prepared to run on the 9th or 10th - with the 16/17 as a backup.

Cost is $200

Here is a link to the packet:

http://filezilla.mra-racing.org/files/2011%20Race%20School%20Packet.pdf (http://filezilla.mra-racing.org/files/2011%20Race%20School%20Packet.pdf)

UglyDogRacing
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:11 AM
The Friday night classroom will be held at Fay Myers Motorcycle World in the upstairs clubhouse.

Fay Myers Motorcycle World
9700 E Arapahoe Rd
Greenwood Village, CO 80112

UglyDogRacing
Tue Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:46 AM
Information posted on the CSC here - http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38186

Theory123
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I am also looking to get into track days this summer. I would like to attend the MRA Race School given the suggestions here. I have never been on the track before but have been riding on the street for almost 10 years.

The bike I will be riding is a 600rr and we put a race fairing on it. We have done pretty much everything to get it ready for the track (minus saftey wire). Watter Wetter, Race Fairing, etc. It does not have a steering damper. Is that going to be a problem?

Ill probably register later this week.

Thanks!

Snowman
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Not for the MRA school or if you decide to run Super Street. Yes for any other of the race classes.

rybo
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 12:10 PM
The steering damper isn't a requirement for trackdays or the race school, but it is a requirement for going racing. There are just a few exceptions to the rule. Superstreet does not require a steering damper, nor does the Production 250 class. All other MRA events do require a steering damper.

Scott

I am also looking to get into track days this summer. I would like to attend the MRA Race School given the suggestions here. I have never been on the track before but have been riding on the street for almost 10 years.

The bike I will be riding is a 600rr and we put a race fairing on it. We have done pretty much everything to get it ready for the track (minus saftey wire). Watter Wetter, Race Fairing, etc. It does not have a steering damper. Is that going to be a problem?

Ill probably register later this week.

Thanks!

rybo
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Not for the MRA school or if you decide to run Super Street. Yes for any other of the race classes.

Gosh darn when did Snowman become a NINJA?

Snowman
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Yes, I have actually read the rule book.
Weak plot but very exciting ending...

Theory123
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Ok thanks! I might be rounding up 2 more newcomers as well. They are currently "thinking about it". Will probably turn in my packet later this week.

Phil

UglyDogRacing
Mon Mar 14th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Ok thanks! I might be rounding up 2 more newcomers as well. They are currently "thinking about it". Will probably turn in my packet later this week.

Phil

That's great we'd love to have you out! Refer to out new racer information thread if you need more info - http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38186

Theory123
Fri Mar 18th, 2011, 11:32 AM
We just put our packets in the mail. There will be two of us total.

One thing I couldnt find here or on any of the links is what time the Friday night class starts. Is that info available yet?

Thanks!

Phil

UglyDogRacing
Fri Mar 18th, 2011, 11:45 AM
We just put our packets in the mail. There will be two of us total.

One thing I couldnt find here or on any of the links is what time the Friday night class starts. Is that info available yet?

Thanks!

Phil

Doors open at 6pm. Class starts at 7pm.