PDA

View Full Version : AMA announces 2010 Motorcyclist of the Year

FZRguy
Tue Jan 18th, 2011, 09:31 PM
The AMA announced today its AMA Motorcyclist of the Year. Awarded annually, the AMA Motorcyclist of the Year designation recognizes the person(s) who has had the most profound impact on the world of motorcycling, for better or worse, in the previous 12 months.
For 2010, that distinction belongs to outgoing California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, whose signature on a controversial law will have far-reaching and potentially harmful effects on the motorcycling community nationwide.

With no fanfare, Schwarzenegger signed a poorly crafted bill on Sept. 28 that fundamentally changes how California will regulate motorcycle exhaust systems. The new law also maps a path for the rest of the country, as other state and local lawmakers look for their own answers to address excessive motorcycle sound..

"Gov. Schwarzenegger signed a piece of legislation that has rocked the motorcycling world, and will impact motorcyclists in other states as well for years to come," said AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman. "This makes him the logical choice for the 2010 AMA Motorcyclist of the Year."

More at: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/NewsView/10-12-16/AMA_announces_2010_AMA_Motorcyclist_of_the_Year.as px

cptschlongenheimer
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Normally I'm totally behind the AMA and I understand their reasons, but I'm just not convinced that choosing the (former) Governator as M.O.Y. clearly sends the message that we don't approve of the law he signed.

Mother Goose
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Wasn't this announced a month or two ago? :think:

cptschlongenheimer
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Yes, but I'm bored waiting for my software engineer to fix my BIOS. So I figured I'd bite.

usmcab35
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 01:46 PM
hmm yea that kinda makes it sound like they are happy for passing the law, you dont normally get a major award by pissing off the people who are giving the award?

FZRguy
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 04:09 PM
It was announced on Dec 16, but I was just reading about it in the January AMA mag. He's on the cover.

cptschlongenheimer
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 04:39 PM
So, John...
You started it. You agree with their choice?
A

FZRguy
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I agree that him signing this bill, may impact motorcyclists and the industry more than anything else that happened in 2010, which is why they chose him. I agree with the AMA that it’s a bad law.