PDA

View Full Version : No contract cell phone questions / help

Captain Obvious
Tue Jan 18th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Basically tired of the high fees and the contract restrictions with Sprint / Verizon / etc. I am starting the search for other options. Anyone have experience and feedback on what they are using?

I am looking at getting two phones; 1) a smart phone and 2) one that has a larger screen and is good for work emails. Leaning towards a Blackberry for the #2, my wife is used to her current Blackberry.

Any thoughts on carriers and phone options?

Captain Obvious
Tue Jan 18th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Oh, and I have mostly been looking at the Samsung Intercept via Virgin Mobile.

Ricky
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Don't forget Cricket. They are ghetto, but no contract and I guess they have some android devices now too.

usmcab35
Wed Jan 19th, 2011, 09:24 AM
tmobile does a thing now where it is month to month as opposed to a 2 yr contract. its cheaper but a downside is that you dont get a free upgrade after the given time..

Captain Obvious
Fri Jan 21st, 2011, 08:02 AM
Really? No one uses non-contract cells?

I looked into Tmobile as well, nice phones. Thanks.

~Barn~
Fri Jan 21st, 2011, 08:15 AM
I've been on no-contract TMobile for a couple years now. [Not a pre-pay plan, just no longer on contract].

I have an HD2, which is a sick phone, but their GSM network allows me to change devices at my whim. I don't subscribe to a dataplan currently, since WiFi is so ubiquitous. My bill (after tax and government surcharges) is ~ $42.00/month.

usmcab35
Fri Jan 21st, 2011, 08:35 AM
I've been on no-contract TMobile for a couple years now. [Not a pre-pay plan, just no longer on contract].

I have an HD2, which is a sick phone, but their GSM network allows me to change devices at my whim. I don't subscribe to a dataplan currently, since WiFi is so ubiquitous. My bill (after tax and government surcharges) is ~ $42.00/month.

yea thats about what my bill is..

~Barn~
Fri Jan 21st, 2011, 08:36 AM
Oh yeah... I just saw on T-Mo's website, that they are running a $10/month data plan, capped at 200MB/per.

It requires a 2 year contract (which sucks), but if you *must* have 24/7 data, that's not a bad price if you don't go haywire and exceed your usage limits.

stitch
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I've got a boost mobile plan. Unlimited Calls, Txt and Internet. flat 50$ a month. I am on it all day. Works almost everywhere I go. They have a new program where if you pay your bill on time every three months they lower the price by $5.