PDA

View Full Version : Track days

skeletor29
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 12:00 PM
where would a newb like me find info on when the open track days would be?

Ive heard they help you learn alot, but im a little worried about not being fast enough and some ass neck who thinks hes at daytona wants to run my ass over, is this a problem i should worry about.

thanks guys.

sprtbkbabe
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Don't worry, I go out there and I'm not fast! I just ignore "the ass necks"

...& take off your side mirrors, wear ear plugs to help focus on your lines...

And, Thursdays @ Second Creek near DIA are all bikes for guys & girls :up:

NineTwoFour
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Second Creek Raceway in Commerce City has a bike night every Thursday night from 5pm to dusk. This would be a good time since they kick the cars off the track, and you are sure to find a friendly face to show you around the track.

Should you worry about fast guys??? No. Worry about your own riding, the fast guys will get past you. Just expect that they will pass you ANYWHERE on the track.

Oh, and there are A LOT of racers out there practicing... so expect that some of them WILL be riding like it is Daytona. ;)

Hoopty
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Like she said, don't worry about anyone else but you out there. It's the passing rider's responsibility to make a clean pass, if you start worrying about who's behind you someone is going to get hurt. :shock: Just go out there and hold your line, don't try to get out of people's way. Thursday nights are bikes only at SCR. Weekends at most tracks from now to October will be booked with races, so your best bet would be during the week. For availability, you will want to check with whoever runs said track before you head out. Also, I would suggest going with someone who a)knows the track and b)is experienced with track riding. They should be able to show you the lines (VERY HELPFUL) and give you some basic track ettiquette and pointers. 8) Most guys at the track would be more than willing to help a newb out with questions...

skeletor29
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 12:18 PM
sweet, thats what i was lookin for.

yea i know alot about racing etc. as long as i hold my line theyre responsibility is to pass me, not like i can see behind me.

ill be out there soon then, i work in denver thurs+fri so i can hit the track on the way home. just need to get me some pants first.

Anonymous
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Also check out Racing 2 Save Lives! From May 11-13, you can come ride on PPIR for a pretty small amount of money! It will be low key riding, with people of all skill levels welcome (no race license necessary). We'll also have plenty of people there who would be willing to take a new track rider around and show them the ropes. The best part - everything you pay to ride there goes to some very worthy children's charities!

Check out www.racing2savelives.org for more info.

Filo
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 12:26 PM
ill be out there soon then, i work in denver thurs+fri so i can hit the track on the way home. just need to get me some pants first.

:wtf: :o You work in Denver without your pants?!?!?!? Gee, not very modest, are we? :lol:

Oh, and don't worry about the ass necks. Someday, if you go enough, someone new will be thinking of you as an ass neck, even though you are only doing 1:20s at Second Creek.

hcr25
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Seems to me most of the racers are not out there on a practice day trying to prove anything to a street/track day rider.In my opinion it is just the oppisite.
A few weeks ago i was out there and these 3 street guys within 2 hours crashed 3 times and hit a racer from behind.
Maybe these are the Ass Necks you should be watching out for.
Mike

skeletor29
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 02:06 PM
i will not be crashing.

Bueller
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 02:35 PM
i will not be crashing.

Never say never, then you won't be so surprised when the inevitable happens. :lol:

NineTwoFour
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM
i will not be crashing.

Never say never, then you won't be so surprised when the inevitable happens. :lol:

I didn't plan on crashing either... :roll:

But at least now I am racing. :lol:

Feathered upstart!
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Just keep a sharp eye for #979... Dude has serious mental stability issues :P

Young Luke
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 02:58 PM
I won't be crashing either.... until I crash again :lol:

nileator01
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 05:08 PM
i will not be crashing.

:lol:

Don't be so sure! :idea: Bring a freind, just in case!

Lurch
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 05:44 PM
I will try and stop by and say Hi before I bump into you...

Isn't that right Matt!!!!!

Lurch

NineTwoFour
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I will try and stop by and say Hi before I bump into you...

Isn't that right Matt!!!!!

Lurch

Actually, you came by AFTER you bumped me... :lol:

Anonymous
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 05:56 PM
i will not be crashing.

I don't think I have enough appendages for as many times as I've heard that. :lol:

You should come cornerwork a race weekend skeletor! You will learn a ton about the track and how riders take the turn you're standing in, and will have some fun. We pay you (not a lot), feed you, and you get the best seat in the house for the races.

Devil954
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 06:21 PM
The first thing I would try is not calling the faster riders Ass Necks :lol: most people dont go to the track to ride slow :lol:

Bueller
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 06:37 PM
What kind of times do you need to be an Ass Neck?
And I assume an Ass Hat would be the next step up?

Anonymous
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 07:27 PM
What kind of times do you need to be an Ass Neck?
And I assume an Ass Hat would be the next step up?

When do you become an Assbag then? Or a fuckass?

I see a whole new system of rider classification here!

Dysco
Wed Apr 20th, 2005, 10:09 PM
2nd the cornerwork thing. You can figure out who the assnecks really are :D

skeletor29
Thu Apr 21st, 2005, 08:55 AM
yea i was actually thinking about doing that. good way for me to absorb alot more information.

i would classify and assneck as someone who forgets that they were once new and dont take that into account on a practice day when there are newbs aloud.

Bueller
Thu Apr 21st, 2005, 09:11 AM
I guess then an ass wipe would be a nOOb that doesn't take the advice from the ass necks about mirrors and holding their lines, and gets cornholed. :lol:

skeletor29
Thu Apr 21st, 2005, 09:19 AM
I guess then an ass wipe would be a nOOb that doesn't take the advice from the ass necks about mirrors and holding their lines, and gets cornholed. :lol:

Exactly.

johnthemick
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 09:24 AM
so what are the equipment requirements for the Thursday nights at SCR?

It is looking like the weather will cooperate, and I would like to get out there and learn a bit.

Sooooo, if anyone is up for showing a relatively new guy some of the ropes, please lemme know.

thanks all.

Bueller
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 10:14 AM
Full leathers or a suit that zips together, supposed to be a full zip around, boots that cover your ankles, leather at minimum. Full face helmet and gaunlet style leather gloves(extended cuff), recomended back protector.

There are usually several of us out there that can help you out, just post up if your going out and myself or somebody else will tell you how to find us/them.

It is best to trailer/truck your bike out, but if you have to ride it, either bring the tool to remove your mirrors, or you can fold them in (not on all bikes). The other option is a couple of old socks to cover them. But since they are glass removal is best.

Young Luke
Mon May 2nd, 2005, 10:21 AM
Weather report looks good for Thursday, I'm planning to be there. Who else is going?