PDA

View Full Version : EMT Certification

dragos13
Mon Jan 24th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Hey guys and girls,

Thinking about a career change and the first step I need to complete is obtaining my EMT cert. Anybody have any experience with this and maybe a reference on where to go and what it takes? Ralph?

Thanks in advance!!!

CaneZach
Mon Jan 24th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Talk to Jess

Sparker
Mon Jan 24th, 2011, 08:01 AM
If you want a pay cut, go for it. Starting EMT-B's make CRAP. EMT-Ps can make a good wage with pulling double or triple shifts. Ive got my P- cert along with an NREMT-P and would probably start at like 13/hr at AMR. Its def something good to know but after all said and done I finished my finance degree and am much happier in my current position.

dragos13
Mon Jan 24th, 2011, 08:14 AM
If you want a pay cut, go for it. Starting EMT-B's make CRAP. EMT-Ps can make a good wage with pulling double or triple shifts. Ive got my P- cert along with an NREMT-P and would probably start at like 13/hr at AMR. Its def something good to know but after all said and done I finished my finance degree and am much happier in my current position.

I understand where your opinion is coming from. Its just that I have done tech support for 10 years and honestly, a pay cut for a more exciting and rewarding job is well worth it in my books.

Can you tell me a good place to look into obtaining my EMT-B cert? Should I look into a college or can this be done through a department? Also, what do you know about the Firefighter 1 degree?

Sparker
Mon Jan 24th, 2011, 08:24 AM
i have the full Fire Science Technology degree, which is basically a 2 year degree. Down here in the springs it is incredibly hard to get on with the citys dept. Most FF actually work at AMR until they get on as a FF. FF1 is really a certificate.

Before most places will look at hiring you they will requre the EMT-B(one semester) and FF1( another semester) so off the bat you have 1 year of school. A full FST degree is 2 years. Im not sure how it is up north but here in the springs the city cut the insurance for volunteer FF and therefore there is no program in place and you have to ride with a rural dept to get any really experience.

I did all mine through PPCC, best place to look is at a community college. Ill shoot you my phone number if ya want and can answer a lot of questions for ya. It may sound like im trying to push you away but Im not. Just being real so you can make a good decision.

dragos13
Mon Jan 24th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks and I appreciate the honest advice. My brother is a Fire Chief down in Phoenix and has definitely made a point on telling me this isn't an easy thing to get through and also stresses how competitive it is to get in.

I started my Associates Degree in computer networking some years ago. I hope some of those credits will count towards an actual Fire Science or Emergency Management Degree.

I have also applied with the Golden Volunteer Fire Department to get an idea of what it takes. The more I talk to people, the more I realize I have many hours of school for certs and degrees coming. I want to first get my EMT-B and go for my EMT-P and Firefighter 1. I think this will be a good platform to get me started.

Thanks again for all the help and please PM your number :)

Sparker
Mon Jan 24th, 2011, 09:00 AM
My suggestion is that if you want to get it ALL, then start to apply, def do the EMT-B, then the NREMT-B test, then go straight to the EMT-P. Its amazing how much info you forget from the B cert if you are not applying it daily.

My P School was 8-5 monday thru friday for a year. Ive heard of some places doing it different but thats how mine was. As far as other credits there should be a few that can transfer over or atleast clear out a pre-req or two.

rforsythe
Mon Jan 24th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Shoot me your # Casey, I'll call you later and tell you what I know. :)

dragos13
Mon Jan 24th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks Ralph, PM coming your way now :)

Dietrich_R1
Mon Jan 24th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I shoved (talked) my little brother into taking a CNA course after his first deployment. He got his cert & 3 days later he was taking the EMT-B course I believe @ foothills.

He never took the EMT-B test, but got a job very quickly @ Denver Geneneral/Denver Health (Whatever they're calling it now-a-days. He was somewhere in the $15-16/hour range with shift stuff included I believe.

Might be a good option to work in the field while that employer is helping you to pay for future education???

Good Luck,
John

Tipys
Tue Jan 25th, 2011, 02:13 AM
I just got my EMT-B last year working as an ED Tech, EMT, and volunteer firefigher currently. Trying to go fire myself. Sparker has alot of good info he helped me lot when I was looking into this about 2 years ago now. My Goal is to go career Fire.

Taking the EMT-B course is a good idea. I suggest that to almost everyone that asks. It will tell you weither or not you can handle fire because lets face it the fire department runs mostly medical now of days. If you can't handle the medical well then this career isn't for you.

If that works out then go for your FF1 most big departments like Denver Fire won't even reguire it. But they don't require any certs to test. But Colorado Springs, Greeley, and Poudre fire all require you have your EMT-B to test and a CPAT. Smaller depts like the ones in the mtns keystone, etc. Will require you have FF1 and EMT-B. But the point is it opens up more testing and gives you an idea of what firefighting is like and you can still decide weither its for you or not.

Alot of volunteer deptments will put you though FF1 which also includes Hazmat operations.

As for paramedic don't even worry about it till a few years of EMT-B expirance get all your basic skills down and how 911 calls work before taking on that task. In my eyes very few places are going to hire a medic with no field expirance.

As others have said this is not an easy career to get into by any means last I heard the avg time someone spends trying to get a paid fire job is about 5 years.

Also Firehouse.com great site lots of info and people that have been in the fire service for years.

PM me for more info and I will give you my email address (Not on here much anymore)