PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for 'collections'?

edj
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 11:53 AM
In June I crashed one of my many two strokes... a TZR250. I paid American family about $90/year for full coverage (cheap because not on insurance blacklists and 'just a 250'). The adjustor was good and they paid actual damages/repairs/parts.... $2150 (he said bike was worth $6k!). I expected my insurance rates for the TZR to go up a few percent.

Did they ever. Instead of applying a rate increase to the BIKE they applied it to my CAR and raised my rates $90/MONTH. This is a 1200% increase on the bike's insurance! And pisses me off... especially the letter saying that this is for 'improper control'. I had no ticket. No police. I lost front sprocket at 45-50mph and when slack chain wrapped my rear sprocket, my 'improper control' allowed me to keep the bike up enough to slow it down to probably about 35mph before hitting ground.

So I am in the market for a new insurance company, at least for the motorcycles (6 street 2strokes insured now) and maybe for the cars and house since I want this to HURT them.

SOOOO.. can anyone recommend an insurance company that is good for motorcycle collections? No bike gets ridden more than a few hundred miles a year anymore so I can do 'limited mileage' policies.

usmcab35
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 11:56 AM
i use allstate, they got my house, cars and motorcycles and are helpful when i need them.

salsashark
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 11:58 AM
State Farm...

They own my ass (truck, house, life, rental, both bikes). Other then the non-stop sales flyers I get from them about upgrading my life insurance, they've always been responsive and affordable.

usmcab35
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 11:59 AM
yea i heard that statefarm has really good rates for motorcycles...

jbnwc
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I've heard great things about State Farm, but I have Progressive just because I always have. I've had a few very good auto accident experiences with Progressive no rate increases to speak of. I've never made a moto claim with them, however. I know a guy who does boat adjusting for State Farm and I'm really impressed with the things he tells me about how the company operates internally.

Sarge
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Progressive wanted something like $275 a MONTH for me, with NO tickets or accidents, 6 years licensed, MRA member and MSF within 6 months. And this was with my "Progressive for USAA" discount. Everyone else was high, but in that ballpark. Finally settled on Dairyland for about $800 a year for full coverage. (This I can stomach.) 90% of people I've talked to swear by State Farm, but I haven't been able to get a quote. Anybody recommend an agent in the Springs? I'd rather call someone who's earned it vs. some random agent on the internet.

salsashark
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 12:40 PM
^^ OUCH!

I pay around 20 bucks a month for full coverage on my Duc and similar on the Triumph...

The only thing my agent has ever asked me was whether or not my bike has a turbo. I've always run Liter+ bikes which some companies insure differently. I've heard the term hypersport thrown around by some agents. SF has never asked.

Not in the Springs (Parker), but I don't think it matters much anymore.
Steve Hall - 720-842-1310

Sarge
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks salsa, gonna give him a call right now!

MetaLord 9
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Sarge, I did the same thing with progressive. I moved out here and they tried to charge me more for insurance than I was paying for the bike per month. Because everything else was on USAA I needed to get a stand alone for the bike with progressive. They "fudged" the paperwork and kept me at my previous rate that I had in Ohio and then, as the bike depreciated, insurance became much more realistic.

They base a lot of the rates on how many and what type of vehicles you have on the policy. If you've got everything with one company, everything is cheaper. if you've got the bikes on one and the house/renter's, car, etc. on another, you're gonna pay more. They also charge you more depending on the size & classification of the bike (e.g. a 600 rr counts as a "race bike" so you pay more"). If you have an at-fault accident, even if it involved no one else and no ticket was written, then you're gonna get jacked ins rates from most folks.

edj
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 12:55 PM
What company does he work for?

^^ OUCH!

I pay around 20 bucks a month for full coverage on my Duc and similar on the Triumph...

Not in the Springs (Parker), but I don't think it matters much anymore.
Steve Hall - 720-842-1310

Depths_of_Mind
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 01:01 PM
State Farm is $800 a year for the BMW S1K. Even had one ticket on my record when I purchased the insurance a year ago.

salsashark
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 01:01 PM
What company does he work for?

State Farm

Sarge
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Well, I called State Farm. Best they could do was ~$140 for me alone. This is with one NOT at fault accident 2+ years ago and NO tickets. Biggest issue they said was age. (Not 25 for 6 months.) As soon as I gave them my license number, my wife's record popped up and they said I can't exclude her since we're married and she will "potentially ride the vehicle" and that, because of HER record, we couldn't bring our other vehicles over for the multi-vehicle discounts.

Sarge
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Salsa, sent you a PM, need some info from you for a referal. I dropped your name and you get a free gift card, even though I didn't purchase anything.

Depths_of_Mind
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Ick. yea.. I don't have that issue.. ditched the ex a few years ago *lol*

MetaLord 9
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 01:35 PM
State Farm's good if you put your car house, etc. with them. They offered me comparable rates to everyone else for a stand alone