PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal?

mannysyzf-R6
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Whats up everyone. I have some one selling me an 09 R6 with 29XX miles. They wanted 6500 I offered 5500 and they said yes. Is this a good deal? What do I look for when I go check out the bike so I dont end up buying my first bike then it breaks down.. that would suck heres two pics.http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/492/thornton.jpg (http://img715.imageshack.us/i/thornton.jpg/)http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/1190/thor2d.jpg (http://img708.imageshack.us/i/thor2d.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

slammedsplash
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 08:32 PM
So the person has dropped the price 1000 dollars already and you haven't even seen the bike in person?

mannysyzf-R6
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Yep... and its owned by a female rider that is "Moving"

slammedsplash
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Ok, the "Moving" brings this into better perspective. I was going to say that price seemed really low being 29xx and an 09. I would personally look the bike over very well. Look for any damage that might have happened from it being dropped or wrecked. See if there is any uneven wear on the tires. Check the frame up under the triple tree to make sure you don't see any form of cracks. Make sure the front forks are not leaking any fluids. Listen to the bike run and make sure there isn't any unusual noises. If she will let you, ask to test drive it. Does she have the title in hand? Getting the title from someone that is "moving" that has a loan on a bike can sometimes throw up a red flag to me.

mannysyzf-R6
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 08:55 PM
yeah she said title in hand and I hate orange but sound like a good deal so i;d probably get a kit and paint gas tank or get a used one. I understood all but what is the triple tree?NOOb noob noob thanks I greatly appreciate it.

slammedsplash
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 09:06 PM
The triple tree is where the front forks slide up into, and the triple tree attaches the forks to the frame of the motorcycle. On most bikes the triple tree is also where you will find the ignition switch. Frames can sometimes crack and break welds in this area. Never assume just because this is a females bike that it wasn't rode hard or stunted. :crazy:

mannysyzf-R6
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Sweet thanks... im gonna start asking around this board if someone will help me through this just in case. That be easier if they went with me to see it(I feel like a girl) but Im just entering this world.. i used to be all about Subaru and the STI but that ship sailed far far away lol. OH and hopefully the other rider doesnt like it too much that'll they will end up wanting to buy it haha..

Airreed
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Where is the bike located? Maybe you can get someone to go with you to take a look at the bike. If it's in the Aurora/Parker area I can take a look at the bike.
Test ride that bike to see how it handles...does the front end shake, very to one side or the other etc...

That's definetly a low price for a '09.

OUTLAWD
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 09:19 PM
for that price, i'd go over it with a fine tooth comb, look at the bodywork for anything that looks like its been repaired/resprayed, see if the oil is unusually dirty, like splash said make sure it runs without any odd noises. look at it in the sunlight as well, artificial light can hide alot (i bought a bike that i looked over in a parking garage that had "never been down", when I got it outside I saw alot of evidence that proved otherwise)

EDIT: depending on when and where, I could take a look at it with you...but be forewarned...i like that color orange:drool:

slammedsplash
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Make sure if you take someone that it isn't someone in the market for a new bike or you will be :cussing:

mannysyzf-R6
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 09:22 PM
for that price, i'd go over it with a fine tooth comb, look at the bodywork for anything that looks like its been repaired/resprayed, see if the oil is unusually dirty, like splash said make sure it runs without any odd noises. look at it in the sunlight as well, artificial light can hide alot (i bought a bike that i looked over in a parking garage that had "never been down", when I got it outside I saw alot of evidence that proved otherwise)

EDIT: depending on when and where, I could take a look at it with you...but be forewarned...i like that color orange:drool:
No man, the bike is in Thornton so Ill start asking around here because its definetly a great deal if the bike is in good condition.

mannysyzf-R6
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 09:23 PM
lol I know thats what I was just saying I have to make sure there willing to help me and not themselves. I guess I can give like a full tank of gas on the rider that comes with me or work something out...

slammedsplash
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I'm sure when some single guys see this picture they will be glad to go with you to check it out. :shock:
http://images.craigslist.org/3k73pe3oc5Y35U55R1b1jdc0b35e354971bc0.jpg

OUTLAWD
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 09:34 PM
lol I know thats what I was just saying I have to make sure there willing to help me and not themselves. I guess I can give like a full tank of gas on the rider that comes with me or work something out...

I'm just kidding man...i'm a dick, but i wouldnt buy a bike out from underneath anyone

mannysyzf-R6
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I'm sure when some single guys see this picture they will be glad to go with you to check it out. :shock:

WOW someone does there homework!! looks like I gotta find help soon LOL!!

slammedsplash
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 09:40 PM
WOW someone does there homework!! looks like I gotta find help soon LOL!!

You don't have to worry about me, I just picked up my 2008 ZX10R about three weeks ago. Now, some of these other lurkers might have skills too.. :dunno:

Airreed
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Barn....where are you?

mannysyzf-R6
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Off topic just saw a pic.. are the front turn signals required by law here in colorado or can you flush them like everyone does?

Airreed
Wed Jan 26th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Looks like the rear tail lights have been cut/integrated into the body too.

You are fine with flushmount/integrated lights.

PunyJuney
Thu Jan 27th, 2011, 06:48 AM
We bought the same bike(09) new from a dealer for Gary in August and paid $8300 no tax shipped free to Colorado from Oregon. Don't be so quick with the paint can, live with it a while and you will be surprised how many people love that paint scheme...it actually costs a little more on a new bike to get it. Grand Prix wanted $10,100 for it and wouldn't budge on the price (in typical Grand Prix style) so we bought it elsewhere.

Mother Goose
Thu Jan 27th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I'm off today and tomorrow if you need some help.

salsashark
Thu Jan 27th, 2011, 07:08 AM
You'd be surprised how a seemingly off color will get under your skin and make you love it. I had this experience with my Speed Triple. I wanted black, they only had the green. Looking back, I'm so glad I got the green one.

I'm not one to drool over R-whatevers, but the orange and black is a sick looking bike... If it's in good shape, I'd jump on. Well, not me personally, you...

dragos13
Thu Jan 27th, 2011, 07:15 AM
At that price, I would say make sure title is clear of any bank liens and that the motor isn't toast.

Personally, I would make sure it runs. Drive it around the block getting up to full temp. Bring it back to the house and let it idle at full temp for a couple minutes. Turn it off and make sure it doesn't start puking fluids.

Drain the oil and coolant if you can, or atleast try and take a look at the dipstick and maybe the overflow bottle. A blown head gasket or rings could be an issue.

Other then that, sounds like a steal. I have built an 06 R6 so if you want some help once you buy it just let me know.

MetaLord 9
Thu Jan 27th, 2011, 07:23 AM
At that price, I would say make sure title is clear of any bank liens and that the motor isn't toast.
This.

If bike is an '09, I'd be surprised if A. the bike was purchased without a loan and B. the loan's already been paid off.

If there's still a bank lien out on the bike then make damn sure you get the title for that sucker.

Matty
Thu Jan 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM
This.

If bike is an '09, I'd be surprised if A. the bike was purchased without a loan and B. the loan's already been paid off.

My 'o9 was purchased without a loan... Then again I'm Rick James!

However, even with 4,xxx miles on mine I won't sell it for less than $7K.

$5.5K seems pretty cheap or sounds like a really good deal. Good Luck!

usmcab35
Thu Jan 27th, 2011, 08:45 AM
haha im a idiot, i thought it said there was 29xxx not 29xx i was about to say wow that is a crap ton of miles in a year or two lol looks like a good bike, i agree with everyone, keep the paint for a while, spend the paint job money on something more useful like aftermarket parts, then when everything is done that you want to do to it, come back to the paint and see if you like it or still hate it.. dont get me wrong new paint is nice but so is rearsets, aftermarket exhaust, etc... you will like those things way more when you are riding then new shiny paint.. just my .02

mannysyzf-R6
Thu Jan 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I'm off today and tomorrow if you need some help.

PM'D thanks man. You dont need a bike do you? Just kidding :lol:

Mother Goose
Thu Jan 27th, 2011, 02:37 PM
PM'D thanks man. You dont need a bike do you? Just kidding :lol:
Not for me, maybe my girlfriend though. ;)

Reyven
Thu Jan 27th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I hate orange but sound like a good deal so i'd probably get a kit and paint

this make me want :cry: this is such a hot color scheme.

mannysyzf-R6
Thu Jan 27th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Not for me, maybe my girlfriend though. ;)
wow...really? lol

this make me want :cry: this is such a hot color scheme.
I've been giving it a though and might keep it for a little until I work up some $$$...

Winsa12
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I realize this is old but I live in Thornton and would gladly check it out for you. I got some experience from buying and selling 5 bikes over the last few years. I wont even try and sell you my RR too.

Airreed
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 11:06 AM
i think he bought it about two weeks ago....

usmcab35
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 12:36 PM
i think he bought it about two weeks ago....

pics or it didnt happen lol :headbang:

Tylar
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Tomorrow it'll be two weeks from when we test rode it.

He should have it soon.

mannysyzf-R6
Sat Feb 12th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Tomorrow it'll be two weeks from when we test rode it.

He should have it soon.
The wait is finally over! Tomorrow Im getting the bike. Can wait to see how it looks with a shine and wax + how it'll feel with some EZ maintanece! I will post pics tomorrow night..:w00t::shocked:

mannysyzf-R6
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9484/family085.jpg (http://img405.imageshack.us/i/family085.jpg/)
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/2081/family089.jpg (http://img840.imageshack.us/i/family089.jpg/)
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6393/family097.jpg (http://img407.imageshack.us/i/family097.jpg/)
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4029/family087.jpg (http://img37.imageshack.us/i/family087.jpg/)
I got it for 5k and finished oil change last night.

Tylar
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 09:11 AM
:headbang:

Mother Goose
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 09:13 AM
:bananna:

mannysyzf-R6
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 09:15 AM
:headbang: I couldnt find the dang connection for my digital cam to my computer! i had to go buy one lol:violin: THANKS GOOSE + TYLAR 4 da help!!

vort3xr6
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 09:27 AM
FYI. That bike is lowered. Raise the rear back to stock and raise the forks back through the triples. It will handle like crap until you get that fixed, but it sounds like you are fairly new so you may not notice it. Always good to start riding on a bike that rides the way it is supposed to ride.

asp_125
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 09:30 AM
All that for $5K? :up: Deal!! Barely broken in. +1 on setting the suspension back to stock unless you are inseam challenged.

.. and don't paint it, that color is distinctive.

mannysyzf-R6
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 09:32 AM
^^^ yep thats what the guys that helped me check it out said. And yes Im a NEW rider so hopefully theres like a How to out there somewhere so I can do it myself since I really dont know Shhquat. I removed fairings and did oil change and I thought that was really EZ.

Tylar
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 09:32 AM
FYI. That bike is lowered. Raise the rear back to stock and raise the forks back through the triples. It will handle like crap until you get that fixed, but it sounds like you are fairly new so you may not notice it. Always good to start riding on a bike that rides the way it is supposed to ride.

Pointed that out when we test rode it. And the owner was quick to make note of it as well.

mannysyzf-R6
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 09:33 AM
All that for $5K? :up: Deal!! Barely broken in. +1 on setting the suspension back to stock unless you are inseam challenged.

.. and don't paint it, that color is distinctive.
I definetly have to it feels like it has no turn compared to my cousins r6

mannysyzf-R6
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 09:36 AM
anyone know if theres a "How to" on raising it back up?

cbrjohnny
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 09:37 AM
congrats on the deal! nice ride... i got my bike march last year, had some snow rides, some cold sandy rides, etc... by the time the warm weather came around. get a little time in the saddle and hope to see ya on a group ride this year.

btw, my bike WAS black and orange i didnt like it so i painted it!

slammedsplash
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 11:02 AM
:rock::bananna:

usmcab35
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 12:48 PM
^^^ yep thats what the guys that helped me check it out said. And yes Im a NEW rider so hopefully theres like a How to out there somewhere so I can do it myself since I really dont know Shhquat. I removed fairings and did oil change and I thought that was really EZ.

take it to sts up north, they charge 60 bones to do a basic suspension tune.

FZRguy
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 09:56 PM
It most likely has a lowering link on the rear shock. So first, you need to locate a stock linkage or "dog bones." Then it's easy.

FZRguy
Wed Feb 16th, 2011, 10:02 PM
If you're lucky, the shock may be adjustable for ride height. Check the owner's manual for that.

r6rammy
Thu Mar 3rd, 2011, 08:54 PM
if u wanna trade the fairings and tank for my 08 yellow set, let me know, I'm game for a even trade. Mine are mint, even with the flames decals lol.