PDA

View Full Version : Oil fill

haywood jablome
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 06:30 AM
How much oil do you guys put in your bike? Mine says 280Ml on the case. I usally put in a big bottle of Honda Oil. What do you guys use and how much? Oh yeah its for a 2000GSXR750 thanks again

Hoopty
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 08:25 AM
I'd recommend putting in what they call for. :P Just make sure it's about halfway up on your window... Honda oil works just fine.

haywood jablome
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 08:28 AM
thats the thing i dont know wxactly what to put in. It says 280Ml on the casing. How much is that? I usaly was putting in the whole BIG tub of honda oil. I think that might be why the bike was running crapy!!!

surfinspacegirl
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 08:48 AM
thats the thing i dont know wxactly what to put in. It says 280Ml on the casing. How much is that? I usaly was putting in the whole BIG tub of honda oil. I think that might be why the bike was running crapy!!!

280ml = 280 millilitres, or just over a quarter of a metric litre (l), or 0.29 quarts. That doesn't sound right at all. Are you sure it doesn't say 2800ml? That would be 2.8 litres, or 2.96 quarts, which sounds about right.

For future reference, 1000ml = 1 litre = 1.057 quarts :D

Oil containers usually have a window on the outside which shows the level and it's usually marked in metric (ml or l) and US (oz. or qt.) measures.

Oh, and yeah, go with what the manual says. Too little = you'll be imitating Hoopty and blowing up motors, too much = oil pressure will be way high once the oil warms up & expands. When you change your oil, remember the amount you need to put in will vary depending on whether you're changing your oil filter out at the same time, or not. Always check the level in the window on the bike with the bike level and off the side stand.

If you don't have a manual, call either TK Motorsports (racers' shop) or Grand Prix Motorsports (Zook dealership) they will be able to tell you exactly what the correct values are.

Best of all, invest in a shop manual. Best $$ you'll spend.

:D

Hoopty
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 09:17 AM
The big jug of Honda oil is either 4 quarts or 4 liters, either way it's WAY too much oil to put in!! :shock: 2800 ML is 2.8L, so you're putting in about 1 liter too much! :slap:

haywood jablome
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 09:59 AM
OH SHIT!!!! That might be why its running so shitty!!!!

haywood jablome
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Ok so Fays says fill till you see oil half to 3/4 full in the oil window. They said there isnt an exact amount to go by. HUMM so i guess its GUESS YOUR BEST!!!!!

surfinspacegirl
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Ok so Fays says fill till you see oil half to 3/4 full in the oil window. They said there isnt an exact amount to go by. HUMM so i guess its GUESS YOUR BEST!!!!!

That is :bs: the amount is 2.8L. as it says on your bike. A little more if you change your oil filter at the same time. If there wasn't an exact amount, do you think Mr. Suzuki would put 2.8 L on the engine cover? In Japanese culture, things are seldom done in "roughly" terms, only in exact terms, especially in engineering.

Anonymous
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Agreed. The japanese are precise little buggers... :lol:

Chad, first off why are you consulting Fay's service shop? :slap: Second, your case cover is stamped with 2800ml (I remember, because I noticed it and thought that was a great idea), hence 2.8L. If you're dumping that whole jug in there ... well, ouch. That will cause your oil leaks and can actually damage the engine if prolonged. Drain what you have, clean everything up, change the filter (do this with every change - especially if you're on the track!), and refill with exactly 2.8L of oil, though you should consult your owners manual since that amount will change if you replace the filter.

Does someone have a GSXR750 manual here who can quote the fill amounts with changing the filter vs not changing it? My guess is, 2.8L is without a filter replacement. Usually it's about 1/2 qt more, but someone should check for sure.

haywood jablome
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 11:00 AM
my filter is brand new! U just put it on 2 weeks ago. I had one trace day on it that is it. It should still be fine.

Rick T.
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 11:06 AM
With that much oil, it should be overflowing into the airbox. eeeek.

haywood jablome
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 11:13 AM
nope airbox is fine everything is fine.

Hoopty
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Hanna, the 2300 ML the SV calls for never get's the oil to the correct spot on the window, I always have to add more than it calls for, filter change or not. When the bike is standing straight up (NOT on the sidestand) it should be about 3/4 of the way up in the window.

surfinspacegirl
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Hanna, the 2300 ML the SV calls for never get's the oil to the correct spot on the window, I always have to add more than it calls for, filter change or not. When the bike is standing straight up (NOT on the sidestand) it should be about 3/4 of the way up in the window.

Agreed, I also used more than the 2300 ml on my last oil change, with the filter change. Agreed on the oil level in the window and the bike being off the sidestand, too (see above) :D

My understanding is you should check the oil level when the engine is warm, as oil expands when it's hot. Therefore when you're filling up with cold oil the specified 2300 ml amount will be low in the window. Once it's warmed up, it will be at the right level. Correct process is fill up with new oil, run engine, turn engine off, wait for oil to drain into sump, check oil level. If needed, add more & repeat. At least that's how I was taught..... :)

towneh
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 01:24 PM
yep, the shot-window is only effective after the engine is warm and shut down. check the glass 10 +/- minutes after the shutdown.... between the lines is good! :D

the old RF consumed about 10-15 ml during the 50cc for Memorial Day tour! :o

closing on 39k miles,
henry (remembering all that metric stuff from the 70's and volkswagens!)

BladeRider
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 10:40 PM
Man am I glad my oil and filter change is a tad over 4 quarts and it's a dry sump system. :D