PDA

View Full Version : what kind of free anti-virus do you use

sloridr
Thu Jan 27th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I know we've had this discussion before. However I can't find the thread. Can my fellow CSR'ers help me out. Thanks ladies and gents!

Justin

Sarge
Thu Jan 27th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials

vort3xr6
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 12:03 AM
AGV, or Avast free are the best free ones out there. But honestly, I haven't run AV software for 6 years. Just run Malware Bytes and ComboFix every now and then and you are golden.

sloridr
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks yo! A Guy on my boat got a w32 blastworm. I did some Backdoor shit and got rid of it. But he needed antivirus still. Thanks again guys.

Smitty
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 06:38 AM
AGV, or Avast free are the best free ones out there. But honestly, I haven't run AV software for 6 years. Just run Malware Bytes and ComboFix every now and then and you are golden.

Same for me, I just use Malwarebytes and haven't needed to use anything else.

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 08:50 AM
AVG

asp_125
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I use a Mac.. wait, what? ;)

bulldog
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I used the free version of AVG for a few years and still ended up getting a virus (well Adware). Switched to their pay version which was only like $30 a year and never had any issues since then and I download alot through torrents. To me it is worth the money to pay....

asp_125
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 12:15 PM
AGV got bloated after a while, I am running Microsoft Security Essentials now on my old Dells.

Sean
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I use a Mac:imwithstupid:

Captain Obvious
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Zonealarm.

Zach929rr
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Zonealarm.

10/10

would get trolled again

bulldog
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 12:47 PM
AGV got bloated after a while, I am running Microsoft Security Essentials now on my old Dells. Bloated....what is this a female in menopause? :lol:

Elaborate, as I have not had any issues but am always looking for a better product.

MetaLord 9
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Good recommendations. I've got something on my home PC that's particularly fond of search engines. RKill, Malwarebites, & AdAware cut it down when it starts growing again, but it's definitely still there. Whenever I click on a search result from Google, Bing, or any other search engine, I get kicked to a spam site that wasn't the correct listing. I'll try a couple of these others to see if I can completely pull it.

I'm probably just too lazy to paw through the roots to find & kill it.

Ricky
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 01:06 PM
No virus software is better than common sense and a little bit of caution (and not using Internet Explorer). However, I'd say malware bytes, or the new security essentials package from microsoft.

After far too many years in IT, there is no software in existence, nor will there ever be, that can catch it all.

Ricky
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Good recommendations. I've got something on my home PC that's particularly fond of search engines. RKill, Malwarebites, & AdAware cut it down when it starts growing again, but it's definitely still there. Whenever I click on a search result from Google, Bing, or any other search engine, I get kicked to a spam site that wasn't the correct listing. I'll try a couple of these others to see if I can completely pull it.

Good luck getting rid of that one. It's not worth spending the time to try and kill it. Much easier to just redo the computer. I've run across it many many times.

bulldog
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Good luck getting rid of that one. It's not worth spending the time to try and kill it. Much easier to just redo the computer. I've run across it many many times. +1

TurboGizzmo
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Get Malwaresbyte installed and updated and run it in safe mode, if it says its detected a rootkit it would be best to reinstall...sometimes it cleans them out sometimes it doesnt.

longrider
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Get Malwaresbyte installed and updated and run it in safe mode, if it says its detected a rootkit it would be best to reinstall...sometimes it cleans them out sometimes it doesnt.

+1

I fought one of those for weeks because the user didnt want to redo everything. I finally said you have no choice

LambeauXLIV
Fri Jan 28th, 2011, 10:32 PM
bootrec /fixmbr
Should take care of the rootkit so long as you do it the right way and remove the infection itself.

As far as the browser redirects, did you try reseting the host file? Also, check hijack-this.

vort3xr6
Sat Jan 29th, 2011, 10:27 AM

Go to start > run > C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc

Open up the hosts file in notepad.

In there it should look like this

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Chances are you have a few in there that shouldn't be. If you have any more problems run Hijackthis and post up the log for me. I will make sure you are cleaner than a nun.

vort3xr6
Sat Jan 29th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Also, any rootkits can easily be removed.

Run free Kaspersky TDSS rookit removal tool.

Run Combofix.

Run HJT and then remove any BHO's or rougue hidden processes.

TurboGizzmo
Sat Jan 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I know we've had this discussion before. However I can't find the thread. Can my fellow CSR'ers help me out. Thanks ladies and gents!

Justin

Back on the subject of AV, i would get microsoft security essentials, its a newer version and updates when windows updates, no nags or scares to update to any "full" version which a lot of the free products are resorting to.

If you want to spend some cash spend it on Malwarebytes and set it to auto protect and update at a time your computer is on.

These arent the products i would have recommended 2 years ago but they are currently the best.

sloridr
Sat Jan 29th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Back on the subject of AV, i would get microsoft security essentials, its a newer version and updates when windows updates, no nags or scares to update to any "full" version which a lot of the free products are resorting to.

If you want to spend some cash spend it on Malwarebytes and set it to auto protect and update at a time your computer is on.

These arent the products i would have recommended 2 years ago but they are currently the best.

Thanks I'll take a look this evening. I think we got it taken care of for now but on going protection is essential! What they need is a giant condom to.put around your comp....