PDA

View Full Version : Speed Trap

Ghost Rider
Sat Jan 29th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Read to the last line.
Careful out there.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/01/29/hundreds-caught-speeding-on-i-25-on-saturday/

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Jan 29th, 2011, 07:58 PM
probably not the best location to whip her up into the triple digits

Sean
Sun Jan 30th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Gotta start out the year with a little cash in their pocket. Oh, and was it the 29th of the month?

I agree with nailing a guy doing 122 mph, but I wonder if the rest of them were really speeding, or just going over the posted limit? They could have easily reduced speed in that section by placing an officer in a car right there. People would slow down and over 100 people wouldn't have their ins jacked right now.

The Black Knight
Sun Jan 30th, 2011, 10:09 AM
CSPD was doing the same thing down here in the Springs, throughout the day on Friday. They had one of the bike cops hiding out underneath the bridge at Fillmore and I25(Southbound) and had two to four bike cops just on the other side(on ramp from Fillmore to I25) ready to take off after speeders.

Just remember when the temps go up and start to bring us out, it also brings out your local PD.

asp_125
Sun Jan 30th, 2011, 10:28 AM
What with cities cutting their funding, pays for their donuts and coffee. :dunno:

Bike cops were out Friday but there weren't that many out yesterday in Boulder county.

brennahm
Sun Jan 30th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Yay. More CSCer's complaining about getting fined for breaking the law. Bye.

longrider
Sun Jan 30th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Yay. More CSCer's complaining about getting fined for breaking the law. Bye.

I do not see this that way at all. I do have a problem with those 6 man speed enforcement teams, it comes down to is the primary purpose of police to enforce the law or maintain compliance with the law? Take those same 6 officers and have them cruise I25 with a 2 or 3 mile spacing, say from I70 to 84th Ave, then turn around and go back. You would have almost complete compliance with the speed limit plus as a side benefit there would always be an officer within 2 or 3 minutes to provide assistance if needed. However they seem to work more on the fear principle, you never know where an enforcer might be hiding so you better obey. As a side benefit more government revenue is generated

Matty
Sun Jan 30th, 2011, 12:00 PM
If you decide to speed then be ready for the consequences....

However, to me it would seem as though a lot less speeding would go on if instead of having the 5 or 6 cop cars sitting off the side of the road waiting for a speeder to go by. They'd have those same 5 or 6 cops staggered to be about 10 or 15 minutes behind each other driving north and south along i-25. I don't know about you, but every time there's a cop along the highway I see speeds drop dramatically.

oh well. Glad i was out shredding...

LordLosh
Sun Jan 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM
ALL about the money spend 93,000 to make thousands on tickets and fines imop

FZRguy
Sun Jan 30th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Among the arrests was a motorcyclist who was traveling 122 miles per hour.

sloridr
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 03:57 AM
Go the speed limit and you won't have to worry. Pretty simple if you ask me.

Bueller
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 06:20 AM
You DRZ fags can't get over the speed limit, that's why your bitchin'!

Fuck the police and this kind of revenue generation. This has nothing to do with the publics safety, that is all just the line of crap they are spewing. They have a grant and they need to spend the $, and by writing thousands of speeding tickets they will make way more than they spend.

Sarge
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 06:46 AM
Of all the "dangerous speeders" they caught, how many illegal lane changers and texters do you think just got ignored? Speed might be a factor in the outcome of accidents, but those two things actually cause more accidents.

dirkterrell
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 08:14 AM
If it were truly about public safety, they (the politicians) would jack the penalties way up and people would slow down. I guarantee you that if you had to pay $2000 for 10 over, people would slow down. But the politicians won't do that because it impacts revenue. They keep the fines low enough so that people will pay them but keep doing what they do so that the money keeps coming in. They set speed limits too low, have yellow lights too short where red light cameras, etc to make money.

Dirk

dirkterrell
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 08:43 AM
Check out these numbers (http://csp.state.co.us/TS_CrashStat.html) from the CSP for 2008 which seems to be the latest year available for this sort of breakdown:

DUIs accounted for 78 deaths and 553 injuries.

What's next on the list in terms of deaths? Lane violations at 50 (with 391 injuries).

Next on the list? Inattentive driving. 33 deaths and 779 injuries.

Then comes "exceeded safe speed" with 28 deaths and 655 injuries. Note that this doesn't mean violating the speed limit. It means going too fast for conditions. Further down the list is "exceeded lawful speed" (18 deaths and 115 injuries) which is what they're targeting when sitting on the side of the road tagging people.

These numbers would seem to back up the claims that the focus of patrol officers ought to be targeted more at people doing stupid shit on the road. (Like the dumbass that nearly ran me over riding to work on Friday.) But those kinds of things are harder to do than sitting on the side of the road measuring Doppler effects and probably less lucrative. Safety my ass.

Dirk

longrider
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 08:49 AM
If it were truly about public safety, they (the politicians) would jack the penalties way up and people would slow down. I guarantee you that if you had to pay $2000 for 10 over, people would slow down. But the politicians won't do that because it impacts revenue. They keep the fines low enough so that people will pay them but keep doing what they do so that the money keeps coming in. They set speed limits too low, have yellow lights too short where red light cameras, etc to make money.

Dirk

Exactly! Why do you think speed cameras and red light cameras dont go on your record? The cameras are definitely good enough to ID who was driving 80 - 90% of the time so that is not an argument. Losing your license and insurance rates are all that deter some people, by taking that out of the equation people can just think of the fine as a sin tax

TFOGGuys
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 09:34 AM
I've been calling 'em "Velocity Tax Invoices" for a long time now. I'll admit it, I've been known to go faster than the posted speed limit on occasion (usually days that end in "Y"), but as Sean pointed out, that doesn't mean my speed was unsafe. If the alleged drivers of all the vehicles on the road were actually DRIVING them, it would be safer for all of us. I know a lot of people that are unsafe at the posted speed limit, simply because they are passengers in a vehicle ostensibly under their control. If something goes wrong, they don't have the slightest idea how to react, so they either freeze or do something to completely lose control. If people were exposed to sliding, skidding, emergency stopping, etcetera, in a safe environment BEFORE they were in an emergency situation, they might fare better. I know that back in the dark ages, I was taken out to a snowy parking lot and learned to deal with less than perfect control, and it made me a much better driver.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 09:39 AM
I still think it boils down to calling a spade a spade. People don't like to be lied to, especially by their government. It only fuels the distrust many people already feel toward government (i.e. wikileaks anyone?).

If government was just honest and straight up about what they were doing there, there would be a lot less reason to bitch about it.

bulldog
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 09:42 AM
Go the speed limit and you won't have to worry. Pretty simple if you ask me. Hence, your screenname ;) :gay:...jk

Ricky
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 09:45 AM
Go the speed limit and you won't have to worry. Pretty simple if you ask me.

The problem is, the speed limits are set so as to generate revenue in places where the speed limit is set too low. It's not about safety, it's about revenue generation. If it were about safety, there would be no fine. I already pay these assholes' salary with my tax dollars, but yet they want more money every time they enforce, what they think of as, safety.

dirkterrell
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 09:51 AM
If people were exposed to sliding, skidding, emergency stopping, etcetera, in a safe environment BEFORE they were in an emergency situation, they might fare better. I know that back in the dark ages, I was taken out to a snowy parking lot and learned to deal with less than perfect control, and it made me a much better driver.

My dad was a stock car racer for a while and when he taught me how to drive, something we spent a lot of time on was what to do when things weren't optimal like sliding, emergency braking, making the vehicle change direction quickly in a controlled manner. I've had to make use of that training on more than one occasion in the last 30 years or so of driving and riding. I think if the driving test were more like what my dad put me through, we'd have significantly safer streets.

Dirk

modette99
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 10:05 AM

modette99
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 10:07 AM

asp_125
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 10:37 AM
Nobody's speeding today but do you think there would be any less accidents than if it was a dry sunny day? If they really cared about safety like Dirk says they would be out nabbing the stupid drivers today.

asp_125
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 11:49 AM
Reminds me of the old Gallagher comedy piece about giving all of us suction cup dart guns and shooting the people with them. Then the cops pull over the ones with the most darts for being an asshole.

salsashark
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 11:59 AM
Reminds me of the old Gallagher comedy piece about giving all of us suction cup dart guns and shooting the people with them. Then the cops pull over the ones with the most darts for being an asshole.

:lol: agreed