PDA

View Full Version : SERE school

Think
Sun Jan 30th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Just finished SERE-C today at Ft. Rucker. If you are in the military or some other organization with access to this school, I highly recommend going if you get the chance. I've never learned so much in 3 weeks. It sucked and I lost a lot of weight, but it was definitely worth it.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Sun Jan 30th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I have heard a lot of good things about SERE school. I always tried to go but never was able to.

veteran_80
Sun Jan 30th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Yeah was stationed in Germany so most of the schools were outa reach for me... Congrats on the success!

Hibs
Sun Jan 30th, 2011, 08:38 PM
so what do you do? obviously you are in aircrew of some sorts i take it?

GreenGobblin
Sun Jan 30th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Doesn't have to be, I was Security Forces and went. Learned some good edible bugs..lol!

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Sun Jan 30th, 2011, 09:56 PM
It all depends on the chance you could be captured. They wanted to send my team before our last deployment because of our mission and I work in MI. Yeah yeah yeah I know the biggest oxymoron in the military. But the point is it all depends on your mission.

Think
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 06:55 AM
I'm here at Rucker for flight school. I'll be flying Blackhawks in the CO National Guard whenever I get out of here.

There were a few snipers from the 82nd, some intel guys from the 160th, a Ranger, and there was a psyops guy in my team to name a few of the non-aviators there.

Hibs
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 04:10 PM
Right on man. You know for sure you'll be flying a blackhawk? I thought what you got to fly was based on how well you did at flight school, guess that could be different for guard. Where you prior service before hand?

pauliep
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 04:43 PM
Good times in that school. I'm already skinny and still lost 12 lbs, lol

Think
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 10:17 PM
Right on man. You know for sure you'll be flying a blackhawk? I thought what you got to fly was based on how well you did at flight school, guess that could be different for guard. Where you prior service before hand?
Yeah, that's how the guard works. My unit has Blackhawks and Chinooks and they don't need anymore 47 pilots so I'll be flying 60s. The active guys are the only ones competing for aircraft.

Good times in that school. I'm already skinny and still lost 12 lbs, lol
Yeah, I'm pissed because I gained about 10 lbs since I've been down here at Rucker only to lose it and then some in the 3 weeks during SERE. A few guys who lift a lot and are pretty big lost between 20-25 lbs.

(( LO LO ))
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 08:20 PM
Congrats on passing the SERE training. I heard it is tough and sucks at times.

ghostrider_9
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
Congrats on passing the SERE training. I heard it is tough and sucks at times.

It starts sucking immediately after the welcome aboard. Then the suckage increases exponentially until about a few days after the course is completed. . . just sayin'

Think
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:03 PM
It starts sucking immediately after the welcome aboard. Then the suckage increases exponentially until about a few days after the course is completed. . . just sayin'
Actually, it's pretty easy going until you go out to the field. They keep the classroom environment very light and use plenty of humor. I think the only SERE school that starts sucking immediately is the one at Bragg for the SF folks, but then again that one is shorter.

ghostrider_9
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
Actually, it's pretty easy going until you go out to the field. They keep the classroom environment very light and use plenty of humor. I think the only SERE school that starts sucking immediately is the one at Bragg for the SF folks, but then again that one is shorter.

Maybe it's just the mental scars that make it feel that way. The best description I have heard is: "The best course that I never want to do again."

SloBlue
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Huge Congrats!!! :yay:

pauliep
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:06 AM
Maybe it's just the mental scars that make it feel that way. The best description I have heard is: "The best course that I never want to do again."

No way, I've been asking to go to the east coast school so that I get the colder weather aspect. California almost was geared to much hotter climates.

usmcab35
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:56 AM
i got to go a few yrs back when i was in the marines, they had someone cancel last min and i got to fill the slot, i really like that course, once it was over :)

Think
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 01:47 PM
I had some of the most intense and vivid nightmares I've ever had in my life the first night I was home. But that quote pretty much sums it up.

No way, I've been asking to go to the east coast school so that I get the colder weather aspect. California almost was geared to much hotter climates.
I don't know why you would ever want the colder weather. The max it hit for us in the field was like 55 one day, the rest of the time it was in the 20s and 30s at night and in the 40s during the day, plus it rained on us which makes things about 10x more miserable. I'd MUCH rather go in August than in January. I can deal with bugs and heat, I hate being cold and wet.

PsychoMike
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 06:26 PM
what are psyops?

(( LO LO ))
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 09:27 PM
what are psyops?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_Operations_(United_States)

They are now called "Military Information Support Operations" - MISO for short...