PDA

View Full Version : I knew I was a Chevy Girl!

Cat118!
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 05:03 PM
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11/chevy-vs-ford-in-heavy-duty-rumble-in-the-rockies.html

:yay:

derekm
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 05:11 PM
drive one around town w/o a trailer....

Tylar
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 05:52 PM
drive one around town w/o a trailer....

+1.

For what's it's known, I own a Ford diesel...and I read the article in Diesel Power about this and the numbers don't lie.

I still hate the Chevy truck, the interior, the Izusu motor....all of it. I would take the transmission, however. :bananna:

sloridr
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 07:48 PM
They give me either one for a year to test and I'll drive the wheels off it. Grandpa retired from GM and I've only ever owned Ford's. Go figure.

The Black Knight
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 08:15 PM
Even with all their horsepower/torque advantages, I'd still rather drive a Cummins. This article is blowing up all over the place at the cumminsforum. Guys over there can't stop complaining about how now the Cummins is so underpowered and are ready to jump ship. Way I look at it, is even if the Cummins was 150hp and 300lb.tq. down, I'd still own one. There's something to be said for durability, longevity and reliability. Ford and GM also need to study Cummins exhaust brake, as I've been reading and hearing from guys with the new GM's and Ford's that the exhaust brakes suck in these trucks and don't offer the stopping power of the Cummins VGT exhaust brake.

I know with about 6000lbs behind mine coming down Poncha Pass, I clicked it down into 5th and it was all I could do to keep it from wanting to stop the truck. Only needed to tap the brakes for tight bends or drop it into 4th. Empty with tow/haul on and EB on, it will bring you to almost a complete stop coming down a 7% hill(I should know, I do it every morning), only having to touch the brakes to actually stop at the light.

I look for different things in a truck, power is nice but I know sooner or later I've got to bring that load to a stop.

cbrjohnny
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 08:24 PM
a chick posted this? where do girls like you hang out...?

lol we have gmc 3500's and ford f350's in my fleet where i work. i wouldnt have had to buy new trucks to tell you all this info, gm has been smoking ford for years... powerstroke (more like powerchoke) lol... ford's, its hard to keep them out of the dealership for major work, on the road, yeah not so much!

btw the gm is much nicer inside and out on top of the performance!

DevilsTonic
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 08:26 PM
I'm perfectly happy with my Taco. Maybe someday when I grow up I'll get a Tundra, but never again will I buy ford, chevy or dodge anything.

cbrjohnny
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 08:44 PM
I'm perfectly happy with my Taco. Maybe someday when I grow up I'll get a Tundra, but never again will I buy ford, chevy or dodge anything.

mummm... tacos!

Keyser Soze
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 09:21 PM
Even with all their horsepower/torque advantages, I'd still rather drive a Cummins. This article is blowing up all over the place at the cumminsforum. Guys over there can't stop complaining about how now the Cummins is so underpowered and are ready to jump ship. Way I look at it, is even if the Cummins was 150hp and 300lb.tq. down, I'd still own one. There's something to be said for durability, longevity and reliability.

While I agree with you on the proven longevity of the Cummins, the Scorpion is a brand new engine. Who knows how it'll do over the years. I'd take the super duty over the other 2 any day.

Cat118!
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 05:49 AM
a chick posted this? where do girls like you hang out...

On the csc board ;)

t_jolt
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 07:15 AM
All i can say is im not a ford guy, but look at the gearing differences. Thats a pretty good difference. The speed and EB can all be pointed to mainly that difference. One thing they didnt report on was gas mileage. After looking at this i bet the ford get 2-4 mpg more then the chevy most the time.

bulldog
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 08:10 AM
:idea:The question here is do you own a Chevy, Cat?

Filo
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 08:47 AM
All I thought was $55K for a truck? You better be using that for work, because that is a butt load of money. Of course, I am a cheap bastard too... My F250 was only $4K. It didn't even have a radio, much less leather, cruise, AC, etc. I didn't see the point with something that I use to haul horse shit around in.

Cat118!
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 09:53 AM
:idea:The question here is do you own a Chevy, Cat?

Lol I did! Not any more, but I will again
Used have 06 malibu and 98 blazer which I loved!!!
Then I traded in for newer suv and got a jeep.
Next purchase is a tahoe or surburban so I can toy haul ma jeep to places!!

usmcab35
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM
toyota fan here, never had issues with them, i know it doesnt have much to do with with the topic of ford vs chevy but o well

King Nothing
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 10:56 AM
toyota fan here, never had issues with them, i know it doesnt have much to do with with the topic of ford vs chevy but o well
Seriously. Stay on topic! This kind of insubordination will not be tolerated on this board. We strive to maintain a high-quality, relevant discussion board and your off-topic tangents and rants are unwanted and unacceptable.

usmcab35
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 10:58 AM
Seriously. Stay on topic! This kind of insubordination will not be tolerated on this board. We strive to maintain a high-quality, relevant discussion board and your off-topic tangents and rants are unwanted and unacceptable.
:pointlaugh: :bananna:

bulldog
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 11:05 AM
I thought it was funny that on a recent episode of Top Gear (US version) the Toyota was the backup truck for the American truck showdown when they broke down. Is this saying that Toyota trucks are more reliable if it needs to be used when others break down and it is following the same course....

Lol I did! Not any more, but I will again
Used have 06 malibu and 98 blazer which I loved!!!
Then I traded in for newer suv and got a jeep.
Next purchase is a tahoe or surburban so I can toy haul ma jeep to places!! :squid:

usmcab35
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM
you should see the top gear test they do on a mid 80's toyota, they try everything to kill it, and at the end, its is still running...

salsashark
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 11:17 AM

I think we have a new Moderator in the making...

Cat118!
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 12:25 PM
Bull dog.....imma gonna kick you :)

bulldog
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 12:46 PM
Bull dog.....imma gonna kick you :) You will break your leg again. I am solid...wait that sounds bad :lol:

Cat118!
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 02:39 PM
You will break your leg again. I am solid...wait that sounds bad :lol:
Haha
With this cast on its like I have a carbon fiber foot! no match for whatever solidness you got

brennahm
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 02:44 PM
I always liked this pic...not necessarily relevant, but still kinda cool, especially for a cummins fan like myself.http://www.frybrid.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3512&stc=1&d=1227715987

The Black Knight
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 03:21 PM
I always liked this pic...not necessarily relevant, but still kinda cool, especially for a cummins fan like myself.http://www.frybrid.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3512&stc=1&d=1227715987
HAHA!! yep :rock:

That's the other thing I always liked about the Cummins as well. It makes almost as much power(compared to the 2010-11 trucks, in the past it's made more) as the others and does it with "two less" cylinders.

Another notable mention for the Cummins driveshaft is that on the new 6.7's they asked owners with 200k+ miles on their trucks to submit their driveshafts to Cummins for an evaluation. They took a driveshaft with 250k on it, put it in the assembly line and it still passed inspection for a "NEW" driveshaft. Not to mention Cummins has 40% less moving parts in the motor as well(i.e. Longevity :) )

While I agree with you on the proven longevity of the Cummins, the Scorpion is a brand new engine. Who knows how it'll do over the years. I'd take the super duty over the other 2 any day.
I don't know, the Scorpion is a brand brand new motor. It's bound to have bugs(being in the Powerstroke vein) in it. Plus GM and Ford are having to meet to new 2010 Emission standards and are both having DPF issues. At least the Cummins 6.7 is just a punched out 5.9(proven design) with the Emissions crap added on to it. Not saying that Dodge hasn't had DPF issues but they've had since 07.5 to fix them and the new 2010-11 trucks seem to have finally gotten the DPF issues fixed(thanks to Dodge having Cummins involved with the new design for the DPF).

Ford makes a nice truck but they have a bad track record with the Powerstroke. Everyone I've known(with the exception of two guys) that's had a Stroker has hated them. And it ain't for performance issues, it's mechanical. I know there's good Strokers out there, I've yet to see many of them though. With the Cummins it's reversed. You don't see bad ones and when you do, it's rare and usually due to driver abuse.

King Nothing
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 03:25 PM
Too bad the Cummins is stuck in a dodge. Great engine but the rest of the truck is shit.

Tylar
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 03:29 PM
Too bad the Cummins is stuck in a dodge. Great engine but the rest of the truck is shit.

+1.

brennahm
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM
Ideal truck? Ford body, Chevy Tranny, Dodge Motor...

Spiderman
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 04:36 PM
Moved to Automotive forum.

King Nothing
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 05:03 PM
Ideal truck? Ford body, Chevy Tranny, Dodge Motor...The truth. Brennahm speaks it.

Wrider
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 05:21 PM

The truth. Brennahm speaks it.

I'm a Dodge guy but dangit Brennahm you nailed it with that.

Sean
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 05:59 PM
I've been researching trucks lately and this is good to know.

Cat118!
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o110/Cat118/IMAG0341.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o110/Cat118/IMAG0345.jpg

The Black Knight
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM
Now that I'd have to disagree to some extent with. Ford's are nice but I like Dodge's bodies as well. As far as trans go, I'm not the biggest fan of the Allison and here's why. Most of my experience with Allison's have been in Commercial grade vehicles and I have to be honest, I hate those transmissions. They gear find like no other. Several times I've been hauling in our tandem that's got an Allison, and on a flat surface it's continually gear chasing. And I hate it going up a grade, always shifts too soon but I realize it's probably due to the transmissions gearing. The tandem I've driven is only 5 speed, and really it needs a 6th or an 8 speed. The 5 speeds trannys are way to tall.

Now in the Light Duty trucks(1 ton and under) the Allison is a o.k. trans. I'd still take Dodge's 68RFE over it any day. May not be as strong as the Allison, but comparing my 6 speed to my friends 5 speed Allison and his seems to gear chase at times. Mine won't and I'm not just saying this cause I own it, it truly doesn't gear chase.

Now my 07 5.9 Cummins with the 48RE(4 Speed) would gear chase, so I'd have to run around in tow/haul all the time. And the gear chasing in my friends 5 speed Allison is probably due to it being a 5 and not a 6 speed. The more gears you've got, the more evenly matched the trans gears are(to some extent). Ultimately, it's the gears in the ass end of the truck that will determine how much gear finding it will do. Because even with my 3.73's to his 3.83's(mine being taller, being numerically lower) mine still has shorter trans gearing.

Lastly, up until this year(2011) GM and Ford always made their torque at higher rpm than the Cummins(usually make their torque a good 700 rpm sooner). But you'll always get a lower rpm torque delivery from an Inline 6 vs. the V8's.

brennahm
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 07:23 PM
I meant the interiors of the trucks. I HATE Ford (don't ask why, not necessarily reasonable about it) but their interiors new vs. new are definitely the nicest. Haven't sat in a 2010 Dodge but anything older is without a doubt cheesier/cheaper/crappier.

Trannies? I'd buy a Dodge with manual, but for autos I've talked to too many non Allisons that've shredded. The Allison is simply stronger, can't convince me otherwise.

Wrider
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 11:28 PM
I have to edit my statement because of how Black Knight said his... Ford Chassis with a Dodge Body (except for the horrendous dually wheelwells), Dodge motor, and Chevy Allison tranny. (Unless I was going manual then I'd go with the Dodge tranny as well.)