PDA

View Full Version : Pull your battery!

Penadam
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 07:02 PM
If you store your bike outside, you might want to consider pulling your battery before tomorrow night. The forecast is for-19, and a partly charged battery can freeze at those temperatures.

Sully
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 12:12 PM
ha.. I just pulled my entire bike into the kitchen last night.. toasty! That's what I get for running water wetter all year... :bigeyes: :slap:

asp_125
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 12:21 PM
Plug in a battery tender

usmcab35
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 12:29 PM
my garage is cold but not as cold as outside, hopefully that works, i guess i will see.

bulldog
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 12:45 PM
Plug in a battery tender This is all I do. I hope that is enough since it is not in a garage but a metal shed :confused:

usmcab35
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 12:55 PM
This is all I do. I hope that is enough since it is not in a garage but a freezer :confused:

fixed it for ya!:bananna:

OUTLAWD
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 12:57 PM
hmm...1 tender...2 bikes...

I think the brit needed a new lithium battery anyway ;)

Sully
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM
I'm not terribly concerned about the battery (I've never had an issue during the winter).. it's the water wetter freezing up that I'm worried about :( :cold:

OUTLAWD
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 01:07 PM
I just put antifreeze back in both of the bikes...I'd rather not worry about it

asp_125
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 01:24 PM
This is all I do. I hope that is enough since it is not in a garage but a metal shed :confused:

Back when my bikes were in a wooden shed, I simply checked the antifreeze and plugged in the battery tenders. Worked fine even during that one winter when we had 6 weekends of snow.

bulldog
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 01:26 PM
Back when my bikes were in a wooden shed, I simply checked the antifreeze and plugged in the battery tenders. Worked fine even during that one winter when we had 6 weekends of snow. Thanks. Not sure why I am worried since I have had a bike for 10 years in that shed and they have always been fine.....

Penadam
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 02:59 PM
As a follow up, your battery will freeze at -20 F if the charge is around 45%. A fully charged battery is good till -90 F.

DemonRider
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 04:29 PM
Battery pulled, Stabol in, full tank gas, covered with tarp and water resistant cover. Anything else I'm missing? It has to stay outside, no option to bring it inside right now. Thanks

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 05:40 PM
I'm more worried about the diesel in my truck. Rode both bikes last weekend and the VFR had a few cycles of the battery tender as well.

Penadam
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 08:16 PM
Just got my battery out, wind chill was -20. It took about 2 minutes to realize I would have frostbite if I didn't go get a hat. Could barely bend the seat back to access the bolts, froze my hands removing them, and it turns out the battery had sufficient charge to be fine. Now I have 6 logs in the fireplace and a glass of balvenie doublewood 12 year. Gotta warm up somehow!

Matty
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
The Gixxer is plugged in... My other 3 babies and Katie's lil Ninja hopefully braved the cold last night. Going to attempt to start them all up a lil later this afternoon.

usmcab35
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:19 AM
i fired my up this morning, its sounded cold but started with no problem.. thank god going to get a battery tender today!

MetaLord 9
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:30 AM
Yeah, all three running bikes got a minimum of a trip around the neighborhood in the last week so they should be fine. The 'canes aren't as cold weather friendly as the Ninja is, but carb'd bikes will do that. all mah vechicles have been huddling together for warmth in the garage!

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 10:13 AM
The starter clutch on the VFR doesn't like this cold weather. I don't think I could start it if I wanted to without firing up the torpedo heater in the garage and warming up the whole thing.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
I've had water wetter in both bikes for years. They're always kept in an unheated garage and have never had a problem. It never freezes in the garage, though. I even accidental left my R1 out over night in 15 deg. weather. Didn't even frost the water around the filler cap.

Here's one for ya all. I've had my boat for ten years and I have never put Sta-Bil in it or removed the battery. When I stuck an exhaust valve, it sat for two years. After re-building the heads, it fired up the instant Kim hit the key. Battery and fuel had been sitting for two years!!

laspariahs
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I've had water wetter in both bikes for years. They're always kept in an unheated garage and have never had a problem. It never freezes in the garage, though. I even accidental left my R1 out over night in 15 deg. weather. Didn't even frost the water around the filler cap.

Here's one for ya all. I've had my boat for ten years and I have never put Sta-Bil in it or removed the battery. When I stuck an exhaust valve, it sat for two years. After re-building the heads, it fired up the instant Kim hit the key. Battery and fuel had been sitting for two years!!

On the other hand of this, I had a generator that had the fuel gum up in it after sitting in a shed for the winter. That was quite the mess. better safe than sorry sometimes.

Kim-n-Dean
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 08:57 AM
On the other hand of this, I had a generator that had the fuel gum up in it after sitting in a shed for the winter. That was quite the mess. better safe than sorry sometimes.My 2-stroke pocket bike will gum up in about a month. My 2-stroke planes sit all winter and fire up on the first try, every time. That might have something to do with the nitromethane, though.

You're probably not going to believe this, but the mix I put in my chain saw is almost ten years old. Saw runs like a raped ape!

I'm not recommending that you let fuel sit around, though...

asp_125
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 09:17 AM
EFI bikes tend to be a bit more tolerant to sitting without Stabil etc. Carb'd bikes with their tiny jets might benefit from some fuel treatment over the winter.

OUTLAWD
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 09:24 AM
carb'd bikes...pffft

laspariahs
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 01:58 PM
My 2-stroke pocket bike will gum up in about a month. My 2-stroke planes sit all winter and fire up on the first try, every time. That might have something to do with the nitromethane, though.

You're probably not going to believe this, but the mix I put in my chain saw is almost ten years old. Saw runs like a raped ape!

I'm not recommending that you let fuel sit around, though...

Nah I believe you, but I'd much rather pay 5 dollars and not even think about it, than not and a larger chance of it happening. Just cheap insurance is all. And yeah after having to deal with that generator, everything gets stabil now..... :)

I've let many, many, things sit over the years, including a chainsaw, and it's never been a problem, hell I didn't even know stabil existed, until the generator issue which cost me a lot of money and tons of time.