PDA

View Full Version : looking for a bike...

sag
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 09:14 PM
looking to spend about 2 grand for a stunt/fighter like an f4i. something streetable (lights, sprockets) and anything from stock to setup but would prefer something with some parts on it already. let me know if you or your buddies got anything that might fit the bill thanks.

Richard
Mon Jan 31st, 2011, 09:52 PM
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/2188817781.html
this guy set this up and never really got to ride it.

navajowalks
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 02:44 PM
Yea, its got some new stunt parts and could be very streetable...

usmcab35
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 03:04 PM
that looks like a nice bike.. go buy it and beat the piss out of it already....

sag
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 07:28 PM
thanks, that looks like a sweet deal but may be too pretty and clean and a little more then i was planning on spending. but it may be too cool to pass up though. keep your eyes out thanks.

guessinthe2000
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 10:34 AM
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/2187836852.html

usmcab35
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
^thats another good bike, but i think i would move the gauges off the tank, for what you guys do that seems like it would be in the way.

Richard
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:46 AM
the only down side to not getting a "set-up" bike is the cost. most people dont know how much it is to set up a bike. i.e. cage, chain and sprocket, for the basics.

bulldog
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
the only down side to not getting a "set-up" bike is the cost. most people dont know how much it is to set up a bike. i.e. cage, chain and sprocket, for the basics. Why is this setup necessary? I have seen many people sunt on stock sportbikes just fine. Hell I even use to wheelie a stock 99 Katana and that was a heavy beast.

Just wondering why many stunters nowadays need all this stuff and why the game has changed so much?

Richard
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 01:24 PM
you dont "need" all the stuff. but just like racing. things happen. so having protection helps. as well as the sprocket, you dont "need" it. it just makes things easier.

like my bike for instance, stock sprocket i have to clutch it at like 12k to get it at balance point fast. where as, my +8 sprocket i only have to clutch at 6k. and also with stock sprocket its harder to keep it at idle when in a wheelie.

so, just as racers wear protective gear "in the event of a crash". stunt riders have protective cages "in the event of a crash". and as racers change gearing to get more power lowend or highend. stunt riders do it to get more lowend power. you dont "need" these things. it just makes it easier and more consistent.

Richard
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
Hell I even use to wheelie a stock 99 Katana and that was a heavy beast.

Just wondering why many stunters nowadays need all this stuff and why the game has changed so much?

the game has changed cause wheelies used to look like this.
98 Katana wheelie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jmhvlE_wMA)

and now they look more like this.
04 ZX636R Stunt Edition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWIugyFvxRU&feature=feedu)

:up:

guessinthe2000
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
^thats another good bike, but i think i would move the gauges off the tank, for what you guys do that seems like it would be in the way.

I believe most stunters just take off that tach. You can take it off you just wont be able to see your speed.

bulldog
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
you dont "need" all the stuff. but just like racing. things happen. so having protection helps. as well as the sprocket, you dont "need" it. it just makes things easier.

like my bike for instance, stock sprocket i have to clutch it at like 12k to get it at balance point fast. where as, my +8 sprocket i only have to clutch at 6k. and also with stock sprocket its harder to keep it at idle when in a wheelie.

so, just as racers wear protective gear "in the event of a crash". stunt riders have protective cages "in the event of a crash". and as racers change gearing to get more power lowend or highend. stunt riders do it to get more lowend power. you dont "need" these things. it just makes it easier and more consistent. Ok, this is what I assumed. Man would it have made doing wheelies so much easier for me if I didn't have to drop my clutch at such high RPM's because that is the part I hated: I once hit it too hard and almost flipped the bike and jumped on the tank and my windshield went through my helmet visor when it was open and nearly broke my nose.

I guess this is really only possible if you have one bike dedicated to stunting to do this too. Mine have always been bikes I rode on the street then did tricks on the side (I use tricks loosely as I only learned wheelies, stoppies, and well burnouts). I would sure love to get back into stunting by having a dedicated bike with these mods to see how much better I could progress.

:idea: You know what would be cool is to offer a safe place that you could rent these "proper" stunt bikes to play around on (liability waiver of course). Guess it may not be too cost effective if people thrashed the bike though, but would be something I would pay to do.

Richard
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
it does kinda suck and a little harder for the sport to progress, when there isn't anywhere to ride without getting told to leave. there are a few places that have bikes you can rent and trash but not here in colorado. and yea, my bike i ride in the parking lot and ride the street on the side. :)

salsashark
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
it does kinda suck and a little harder for the sport to progress, when there isn't anywhere to ride without getting told to leave. there are a few places that have bikes you can rent and trash but not here in colorado. and yea, my bike i ride in the parking lot and ride the street on the side. :)

I remember seeing one of those Briton shows on SPEED where they were over in France at a public spot for stunting. I thought it would be great to see over here. Unfortunately in our "sue happy" society, some idiot will ruin it for everyone.

Richard
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
yea i saw that too. it would be pretty sick. but i'm sure if you have to pay, it would still be like street racing today. "why pay to race at a track, if i can race on the street for free." i'm sure it would only be open certain times. it would take awile to catch on here in the states.

sag
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
thinking im gonna go pick up sams old bike on sat and slap some bars and a cage on it to start.

Richard
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:38 PM
not trying to steer you away from that. but, i think the easiest and cheapest way to get into stunting. is to buy a cheap 4 stroke dirt bike. learn brake and throttle control. if you still like stunting get a sportbike and set it up. if not just sell the dirt bike and not much money is wasted on parts. dirt bikes are ready to ride right out of the box. no cage or sprocket needed. just maybe some levers if broken. i broke mine and replaced with asv and never broke one again.

navajowalks
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:43 AM
My opinion on it is if your wanting to get into stunting, seriously.... do some homework and set your bike up... when I started I was using my mint 07 zx6r and it got beat up in less that a year... richard did have a dirtbike or two that he learned on and can vouch that it helped him learn the basics, throttle and clutch and brake control with out destorying a bike... check out the adventures of dick and navajo thread it has pictures of a frame repair I had to make last year and I should be updating it with some more info about my current bike build in a couple days... pictures are being uploaded now!

Megan
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/2187836852.html
That helmet is :down:!

Richard
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 02:34 PM
That helmet is :down:!
you, no, like, mohawks :dunno:
i think imma get one :squid:

derekm
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 02:49 PM
i think imma get one :squid:
AND a jersy shore wrap... BRAAAP

Megan
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Ok, this is what I assumed. Man would it have made doing wheelies so much easier for me if I didn't have to drop my clutch at such high RPM's because that is the part I hated: I once hit it too hard and almost flipped the bike and jumped on the tank and my windshield went through my helmet visor when it was open and nearly broke my nose.

I guess this is really only possible if you have one bike dedicated to stunting to do this too. Mine have always been bikes I rode on the street then did tricks on the side (I use tricks loosely as I only learned wheelies, stoppies, and well burnouts). I would sure love to get back into stunting by having a dedicated bike with these mods to see how much better I could progress.

:idea: You know what would be cool is to offer a safe place that you could rent these "proper" stunt bikes to play around on (liability waiver of course). Guess it may not be too cost effective if people thrashed the bike though, but would be something I would pay to do.
Safe spot stunt spot! No one better not steal my name, i will sue you!:lol: