PDA

View Full Version : Selling a bike

Sean
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 07:44 AM
What is the CSC's take on the etiquette of selling a bike? I go back and forth about offering test rides.

Cash in hand before they even throw a leg over it?

Collateral? Insurance docs, DL, car keys

Completely open to letting someone? You have insurance, why not?

What do you think?

salsashark
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 07:53 AM
Personally, I've taken it on a case by case basis.

When I sold the TW, it was snowing. I wasn't about to let some guy who I didn't know take it for a ride (or even across the yard). I let the guy who bought my Buell take it for a spin... He showed up in a Porsche, was a nice person and very respectable. In the end, not only did he buy the bike but he also re-roofed my house. I guess he could have caused a lot more problems if he was untrustworthy. If some scrubby looking person showed up, I probably would not allow a test ride w/o cash in hand. But if they appear to be stand up, and more importantly BROUGHT THEIR OWN HELMET!!!, then I'll let them.

Back to some of the other issues raised.
-They're there to look the bike over, if you're not going to let them kick the tires (or throw a leg over), then maybe you shouldn't be selling it. They have just as much right to inspect and dig around.

-Collateral? I've checked licenses before but never taken car keys or anything. Like I mentioned above. If they don't show up with a helmet, they don't ride without cash in hand.

-Insurance - it follows the driver not the bike. your insurance insures you not your bike. At least that's how I've always understood it.

MetaLord 9
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 08:06 AM
I'd agree on the cash in hand but take it case-by-base.

I wouldn't feel like having collateral would do me any good. Keys to a vehicle wouldn't give me any claim over it. Insurance is too long and difficult to deal with. Drivers license can be easily faked or replaced.

I'd feel better with cash in hand. Or just say no test-rides if you're really leery about it. In the end, do what you're comfortable with. You're selling the bike and you can choose to whom you sell it and how.

UglykidJoe
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 08:08 AM
When I sold my FZ6 the guy asked if he could ride it, he handed me an envelope of cash, when he got back I gave him back his envelope. When he was completely satisfied he handed me back the envelope and told me to count it, drew up the bill of sale (nice formal one using google).

I was planning on just following him on my other bike until he handed the envelope over. He was a nice guy, his wife was with him and he didn't really come across as someone who was going to do anything stupid.

Sean
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 09:47 AM
I'm kind of on the same page with you guys. If I get a good vibe from them I usually take DL, ins card and car keys for a test ride. That way I have two forms of ID (or something with there name on it) if they run or crash. I feel like it can easily be faked, but who would really anticipate that? Plus I could always go after ins if they crashed or something. And car keys, just because it's a false sense of collateral.

Salsa- what if people choose not to wear helmets?

salsashark
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 09:51 AM
^^ It's pretty simple to me. They're not riding the property I own without one. If they don't like it, there are other bikes out there they can buy. I don't let people ride in my car without wearing a seatbelt... this is no different.

It's funny, when I bought my KLX, I showed up with a helmet and the guys complete attitude changed. I went from being just another craigslist freak to a potential buyer. You could see it on his face.

TFOGGuys
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 09:58 AM
I use this:

no test rides without full purchase price in hand. They sign the bill of sale, assuming all liability, and if they choose not to purchase the bike, they get their money back (within 30 minutes, and assuming the bike is still in the same condition).

ghostrider_9
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 10:07 AM
I agree with what has been said. Cash in hand with their own helmet before they can ride. The only time I would waver from that is if it was someone that I knew and trusted. Lets be realistic about this for a moment: anyone that is going to show up to check out a bike, has to realize that a person is not just going to hand it over with no collateral. I think any reasonable person would understand cash in hand for a ride.

For me, one other thing I would do is make sure that they have an endorsement on their license. If they don't then I wouldn't feel comfortable letting them ride it. That is just me though.

If they don't want to wear a helmet, that is on them, but I would HIGHLY encourage it.

ghostrider_9
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 10:09 AM
I did a quick search on "test ride contract" on Google and found several sample contracts.

Sean
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 10:23 AM
Lets be realistic about this for a moment: anyone that is going to show up to check out a bike, has to realize that a person is not just going to hand it over with no collateral. I think any reasonable person would understand cash in hand for a ride.I agree, but not completely. For me personally, if I'm going to buy a bike, I probably won't have all of the cash in hand. Being a grad student, I need to finance everything. So I'm going to go check out a bike first and then get a check from the bank/lender. And I'm not really going to agree to buy a bike till I get to ride it. So am I unreasonable?

For me, one other thing I would do is make sure that they have an endorsement on their license. If they don't then I wouldn't feel comfortable letting them ride it. That is just me though. Good point.

TFOGGuys
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 10:32 AM
I agree, but not completely. For me personally, if I'm going to buy a bike, I probably won't have all of the cash in hand. Being a grad student, I need to finance everything. So I'm going to go check out a bike first and then get a check from the bank/lender. And I'm not really going to agree to buy a bike till I get to ride it. So am I unreasonable?

Good point.

Most dealerships won't let you test ride a bike without preapproval on their financing (even if you are using outside financing). Why would I as a private party consent to it? I am not a total hard ass, if they show up on a well maintained bike, wearing a helmet, I might let them test ride it (after looking at their license and jotting down Name, license number, etc.), but usually I specify cash in my sale ads.

OUTLAWD
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 10:38 AM
Sean...just give it to me...that way you won't have to deal with any of it ;)

Sean
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM
Sean...just give it to me...that way you won't have to deal with any of it ;)Dave, you're a good friend. I don't care what everybody else says about you, you're not that bad. :up:

rforsythe
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 11:24 AM
When I bought the Strom I went out of my way to not come off as shady. I wasn't buying a bike without a test ride, but I showed with cash in hand and a helmet, truck to trailer it off after the sale, he got a copy of my license, etc. I think sellers are more apt to roll with it if you appear to be a competent MC rider and generally good person, versus some punk wanting to kick tires and get your rocks off on someone else's ride.

Re: insurance, mine is tied to the bike, not me. The rate is based on me, but if someone else takes the bike out then it's still covered.

usmcab35
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 11:25 AM
i agree with some of you, i always get a vibe first wether or not they have the cash, but then again they leave their vehicle at my house so if something happens that could be the colleratal...

rforsythe
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 12:53 PM
i agree with some of you, i always get a vibe first wether or not they have the cash, but then again they leave their vehicle at my house so if something happens that could be the colleratal...

You have no legal claim or title to it, so, no. Your only legal recourse is taking them to court and/or having the cops track them down if they run off with your ride.

usmcab35
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 12:54 PM
true i dont have legal claim to it, but good luck getting it back.. only way to get it back would be to call the police...

Sean
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 01:05 PM
You have no legal claim or title to it, so, no. Your only legal recourse is taking them to court and/or having the cops track them down if they run off with your ride.Legally it wouldn't do any good, but I do it for two reasons. 1. The buyer can't go drop his keys off to his friend and have them drive the car away (unlikely but possible) and 2. it would throw up a flag if the buyer said no and didn't give me their keys. More of a trust thing. Plus, if the person took off, you could go look for loose change in the car.

JohnEffinK
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
Horror Story: I had a 1991 Kawi ZX7R that I was selling in 1995. Dude came to look at it and asked to ride it. I was younger and said sure....his buddy stood with me and we BSd while dude proceeded to rip around the first curve of my apt complex. He then immediately wrecked.

I cursed out loud. Several times.

Good news: Guy picked the bike up and handed me full asking price right then and there.....

I got way lucky.

I wont say never again but rather case by case basis. I really cant expect someone to hand cash without test riding. Key would be to put some safeguards in place. Buut I did sell my GSXR last fall to a guy who did not test ride it. I delivered to his house and walked away.

Good luck.

John

puckstr
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 04:18 PM
Cash in MY hand.

I keep cash if ANY of the following happens:

1. they wreck
2. they break the bike
3. they don't return

The Black Knight
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 04:43 PM
When I sold my Gixxer last year, I was up front with the guy whom purchased it. No Test Rides period. When you buy it, is when you ride it. I wasn't a dick about it, just explained that I'm not in the business of giving someone a free test ride and then find out they don't want the bike. You either do or you don't.

Also when I sell a bike, I always take the insurance off of it. And I inform the buyer of this. My bike isn't insured because of the prospect of a sale, so no test rides.

As with bikes in the past I've sold and like my Gixxer, I always fire it up, allow the bike to get to operating temps, let them(the buyer) rev it, check for leaks, listen for tightness of motor at revs. I've even ridden it up the street, so they can see and hear it go through the gears.

Lastly, I always include on the Bill of Sale, Sold "AS IS" with NO RETURNS.

Way I look at it, most dealerships won't let you test ride a bike(some have let me, but that's because I was a return customer and had gotten to know my salesman). Dealers also have other means of recouping a stolen bike(i.e. a write off for insurance). Bikes aren't like cars/trucks and they are hard to give test rides.

I play it very, very safe...

JohnEffinK
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 05:23 PM
Way I look at it, most dealerships won't let you test ride a bike(some have let me, but that's because I was a return customer and had gotten to know my salesman).

Not to derail this thread. But I will briefly.

Ducati dealer let me take a new 1098s out on three seperate occasions on test rides. Told me to take my time - 30 mins or so.

Harley dealer let me take about 6 diff bikes out for test rides one day.

BMW guys let me take an 800GS and 1200GSA out with no time limits.

All cold walk-ins except the Duc guys on 2d and 3d visit. I also had valid driver license, valid mc insurance and car insurance.

But I am 43 years old.

Back to regular scheduled program.

John

TurboGizzmo
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 05:27 PM
Flipside

When i bought my first (and only) bike I had the guy drive it up from the Springs to Loveland.....the guy was more than willing to let me ride it "Take it for a spin" I was upfront and said I havent taken a class, no insurance, no real gear (loaners from roommates that road at the time)

I sat on it, checked it over, had him ride it around and I paid him. Then when he left I messed around on it in the ally where no one could see me ride like a old lady. The bike was in awesome shape and over all i have no regret not test riding first. (but kinda from selling)

Sean
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Always nice to have another perspective. :up:

Repsol a095
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 06:11 PM
Sean,

I think that this problem will be solved if you allow test rides at say IMI on a closed course. I would like to sign up as first in line. If not, HPR would be a great choice as well. Then, we can all have fun!

The Black Knight
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 07:01 PM
Not to derail this thread. But I will briefly.

Ducati dealer let me take a new 1098s out on three seperate occasions on test rides. Told me to take my time - 30 mins or so.

Harley dealer let me take about 6 diff bikes out for test rides one day.

BMW guys let me take an 800GS and 1200GSA out with no time limits.

All cold walk-ins except the Duc guys on 2d and 3d visit. I also had valid driver license, valid mc insurance and car insurance.

But I am 43 years old.

Back to regular scheduled program.

John
You're a luckier guy than I was.

My ZX6R from Apex - no test ride

Hayabusa from Rocky Mtn Cycle Plaza - no test ride

My GSX-R1000 from Apex - got a test ride, but I was a return customer to the same salesman

My R1 from Torque - got a test ride, but time limit of 10 minutes

Current bike, my Harley from American Motorcycles - got to test ride it, only because they had to jump the bike(battery dead) and he wanted me to see that the rest of the bike ran o.k., and they ended up replacing the battery as per purchase of the bike. So I kind of count this one as a neutral, because he was wanting to make the sale based on that the rest of the bike was mechanically sound.

Sean
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 08:55 PM
Sean,

I think that this problem will be solved if you allow test rides at say IMI on a closed course. I would like to sign up as first in line. If not, HPR would be a great choice as well. Then, we can all have fun!
Patrick,
I think you've been hanging out with Dave to much. Unfortunately, I don't think either of my bikes would be fun at IMI. The CBR1k would never get out of first gear and the KLR...is good for cutting corners. :dunno: And since HPR is not currently running track days, we're out of luck. Otherwise I'd be more than happy to accommodate.

With all of these bikes you're selling, you need a new one. That CBR with track plastics would be perfect for you! :eyebrows:

laspariahs
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 10:38 PM
Well, cash in hand or no ride, even then I would be careful, very very careful. If they are that interested offer to let a mechanic look over it, if they want the bike 50ish bux for a mechanic checkover won't be an issue.

I bought my first bike off ebay, shipped from georgia and it was a great deal, the bike was in amazing condition, and basically was new with 3k of stuff on it. I sold it for 500 more than I paid for it 3 years later, even when taking shipping in to account. That's a one in a million deal, and I might not be as willing to take the same risk today. I obviously don't have any regrets what so ever buying that bike, and wish I could get as good of a deal on another bike....

chanke4252
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 12:10 AM
For test rides I think a good rule is cash as collateral. If they don't bring the cash with them, then they aren't serious buyers, and have no business riding anything. If they don't have a helmet, then they are either morons, or morons who don't know how to ride, neither being someone you want on your bike.

I think if you're a reasonably normal, upstanding dude/lady, that you should try to improve your odds and make an effort to deal only with other similarly normal/upstanding dudes and ladies.

I think it's a case by case basis thing. I've sold and bought on craigslist, and some people are just shady, but they're usually easy to spot in my experience.

There are a lot of people who I just won't deal with, let alone test drive regardless of collateral. The last thing you want is some dbag who gave you a few thousand dollars as collateral, to dump your bike, and then still expect you to hand him his money back. Piss some idiot off and you're probably going to end up with a headache. I guess that's one reason to not ever have anyone come to your residence.

Similarly, there are a lot of people who I simply won't hand any amount of money. I almost bought an F4i a while back and the guy kept trying to hike the price after i called him initially to confirm the price and set up a time to see it. Nevermind the fact that he sounded like he cold barely talk without shitting himself. I immediately told him to pound sand. I wouldn't have given him a crisp 20 as collateral, let alone the few grand he wanted for the bike.

If you're doing a private sale, and you have a bad feeling about someone, then move on.

Also, obviously only accept cash.