PDA

View Full Version : 2010/11 Chevy Avalanche?

salsashark
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 09:24 AM
Anyone have any personal experience with these vehicles? My dad wants one and apparently I got drafted to help shop and research.

Not that I mind, but I've never been a Chevy fan so I know nothing about these vehicles.

I've hear good things about the the 5.3L engine w/ the variable cylinder firing and what not.

Thoughts, opinions, mindless factoids?

jbnwc
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 09:38 AM
I like em. Based on the Suburban/Tahoe platform. Clint(with the CBR1k) has an older one and he really likes it. I have the aluminum version of the variable displacement 5.3 and I like it, too. - No problems despite my abuse. I would totally buy an Avalanche; especially the new style with the 6sp tranny.

dirkterrell
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 10:31 AM
Not that it amounts to much but I drove an older one (2007 or earlier, don't recall the exact model year) pulling a 4-horse trailer once (had 2 horses loaded). It did the job just fine and I came away with a pretty positive view of the vehicle. But that was near sea-level on relatively flat land, not pulling 28K pounds from Dillon to the tunnel and back. :D

Dirk

Sarge
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 10:41 AM
Personally, I think they're hideous, but I've always been a fan of the later model GMC trucks and the Tahoe. So long as you don't put 24 inch chrome rims on it you should be fine. Guy I work with did that, destroyed the tranny and blew out the suspension on the front end, had to have everything replaced.

salsashark
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 11:10 AM
There will be no pimping of this ride. My dad wants a base model without all the electro-crap. just 4WD. He's always had a truck of some sort and uses it like a truck. Well, as they are getting older he no longer does contract work and is looking for something that can fit 4 adults comfortably and pull the pop-up camper. They borrowed my dodge last summer for a few weeks and really liked the size and ability but he just doesn't want a pickup truck anymore.

I hated the older half plastic Avalanche's, but the new ones look much better IMO.

Thanks Dirk.... I don't see him doing any heavy pulling up I-70. My camper doesn't weigh anything close to 28K!

usmcab35
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 11:28 AM
i like them, well the newer ones, i never was to much of a fan of the older models, way to much plastic, plastic everything doesnt scream 4X4 but i like the newer ones for sure!

salsashark
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 11:33 AM
^^ I asked him about off roading and, quite frankly, he's not interested. The most off road it would get would be a forest service road... certainly nothing serious.

usmcab35
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM
well then he should be ok.. i have a few friends that have them, i will ask them if they have/had problems with them..

Ricky
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 11:47 AM
Drove one a few years back, and every time I would turn a corner, it was impossible to keep the inside rear tire on the ground in acceleration. I've been driving trucks my entire life, I just didn't like the way that truck handled. But that was a 2005 version

Bashed
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 08:51 PM
I love my 08 GMC Sierra. Not really sold on the looks of the back half but i like everything in life, there is compromises.I have the 6.0l vmax engine, and I can say without a doubt it is a rocket. Plenty of torque pulling my travel trailer thats weighs 5k. Not that much weight, but I went over Raton Pass as fast as I wanted, which actually shocked me. Get it he'll like it.

dirkterrell
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 08:31 AM
Consumer Reports gave the 2011 model high marks:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/autos/1102/gallery.consumer_reports_top_picks_cars/10.html

and

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/april/cars/top-picks/pickup-truck/index.htm

Dirk

salsashark
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 08:41 AM
Dad picked one up and loves it. I finally got to drive it and I have to admit that I was impressed. It's a nice truck.

King Nothing
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 09:35 AM
Dad picked one up and loves it. I finally got to drive it and I have to admit that I was impressed. It's a nice truck.I'm sure its better than my dad's Ridgeline.

salsashark
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 09:45 AM
I'm sure its better than my dad's Ridgeline.

He was looking at one of those originally... I talked him out of it.

Wrider
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 09:47 AM
I'm sure its better than my dad's Ridgeline.
Not saying much... Those things have horrible reputations!

He was looking at one of those originally... I talked him out of it.

Good job!

King Nothing
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 09:48 AM
You guys don't have to tell me how much ridgelines suck, I drove my dad's "truck" and will have another opportunity this weekend. :up:

:roll:

salsashark
Tue Mar 1st, 2011, 10:00 AM
you seem ever so excited...