PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your bike warm . . .

ghostrider_9
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 12:40 PM
As we all know it is supposed to be ridiculously cold tonight. With that said, we have room in our semi heated garage for another bike.

By semi heated, I mean, it is attached and we will be running a heater in the garage tonight. With all of the cold nights so far, we have not been below 40 degrees in the garage, yet. But with tonights temps, we are taking the extra precautions with the additional heat source. If nothing else, you can be sure that your bike will be safe for the night (or until this cold blast moves on).

If you are interested, drop me a PM.

Sully
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 01:06 PM
:idea: I think someone should invent a heating pad/blanket for motorcycles! :)

asp_125
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 01:28 PM

A cheap electric blanket from Wally world or Target works fine.

Lacking such a blanket, you can also put a 40-60w bulb in a trouble light, and lay it on the ground under the bike.

ghostrider_9
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM

A cheap electric blanket from Wally world or Target works fine.

Lacking such a blanket, you can also put a 40-60w bulb in a trouble light, and lay it on the ground under the bike.

Both of those work great if you already have a garage. I'm just trying to help out someone who does not. If no one is interested, it's not a big deal to me.

Sully
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM
Good on you, Marc! I think it's a fabulous idea :up:

DemonRider
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 02:37 PM
Both of those work great if you already have a garage. I'm just trying to help out someone who does not. If no one is interested, it's not a big deal to me.

Im interested, maybe next time we expect a cold snap, it to late now, took the battery out for now but just put it in to start her up for a little while. She back fired but is doing good, I ran it till it got up to operating temp. I'll take the battery out again before tonight and see,,,,,,,, but ya, PM me the details and I may be able to pay you a little if you want!?!?. Thanks

ghostrider_9
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 03:28 PM
Im interested, maybe next time we expect a cold snap, it to late now, took the battery out for now but just put it in to start her up for a little while. The back fired but is doing good, I'll take the battery out again before tonight and see,,,,,,,, but ya, PM me the details and I may be able to pay you a little if you want!?!?. Thanks

No worries. It was a last minute thought. Next time it is going to get ridiculously cold, let me know and I will send you all the info you need.

Winsa12
Tue Feb 1st, 2011, 06:49 PM
Your bikes are spoiled, I think mine envies yours.

ghostrider_9
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 09:52 AM
With the extra heater, the garage never got below 40 last night. When I went to bed, it was 60 in the garage.

Reyven
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 10:13 AM
With the extra heater, the garage never got below 40 last night. When I went to bed, it was 60 in the garage.

can i come sleep in the garage?

ghostrider_9
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
can i come sleep in the garage?

Of course you can . . .

bulldog
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
With the extra heater, the garage never got below 40 last night. When I went to bed, it was 60 in the garage. Just wait till you get your electric bill; those heaters suck up the elctricity. Still worth it if it stops bike problems...

Reyven
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:01 AM
Of course you can . . .

he he. thanks

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:13 AM
I'm just curious why the cold would matter. Marc, does your bike not have anti-freeze in it?

ghostrider_9
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
Just wait till you get your electric bill; those heaters suck up the elctricity. Still worth it if it stops bike problems...

I know it will be coming, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure . . .

he he. thanks

Any time . . .

ghostrider_9
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 09:12 PM
I'm just curious why the cold would matter. Marc, does your bike not have anti-freeze in it?

Of course it does. I swapped out the water & water wetter after the last track day. But just to make sure that I am clear about this . . . Yes, our bikes are spoiled!:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff172/ghostrider_9/Misc/IMAG0170.jpg

OUTLAWD
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 09:47 PM
When I went to bed, it was 60 in the garage.

When I went to bed, it was 60 in my bedroom!

I'm too nervous to leave a heater running all night in my garage...between the gas, paint, thinner, chemicals and all the other flammable stuff, I would hate to wake up to charred bikes and tools...

maybe I'll look into a block heater for the bike...

laspariahs
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 09:52 PM
When I went to bed, it was 60 in my bedroom!

I'm too nervous to leave a heater running all night in my garage...between the gas, paint, thinner, chemicals and all the other flammable stuff, I would hate to wake up to charred bikes and tools...

maybe I'll look into a block heater for the bike...

I wouldn't want to wake up to this.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6977/dsc4539h.jpg

Yes that's my neighbors house on fire, and yes it started in the garage at 3 in the morning. If your garage starts on fire you'll be lucky to escape with your life, two of the people in that house almost didn't and may have not, last I heard they were in critical condition fighting for their lives.

Monica
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Safety first! Thanks for reminding everyone about the dangers of portable heaters. Marc moved the heater between the motorcycles just for the picture. During the night, there is nothing but concrete within three feet of the heater. I use that heater in my office during the day, so I know that it works properly and is in good repair. In addition, we check the garage frequently during the night. And don't forget about the power cord and electrical outlet - both should be clean and undamaged.

It is entirely possible that I am a bit overprotective of the motorcycles (I probably shouldn't mention the nightlight). Please do not think we are recommending that anyone else use a portable heater unattended. And thanks again to Outlawd and Laspariahs for the safety reminders.

Be careful and stay warm -
Monica

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
One of the most eery sites is a house burning down. If people aren't burning their house down with Christmas lights, it's space heaters in real cold weather.

Keep them suckers unplugged when not in use and make sure your smoke alarms work. Make sure you have plenty of fire extinguishers and everyone knows how to use them. Also, have a plan for getting out under different situations (i.e. where is the fire at?)

ghostrider_9
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Safety first! Thanks for reminding everyone about the dangers of portable heaters. Marc moved the heater between the motorcycles just for the picture. During the night, there is nothing but concrete within three feet of the heater. I use that heater in my office during the day, so I know that it works properly and is in good repair. In addition, we check the garage frequently during the night. And don't forget about the power cord and electrical outlet - both should be clean and undamaged.

It is entirely possible that I am a bit overprotective of the motorcycles (I probably shouldn't mention the nightlight). Please do not think we are recommending that anyone else use a portable heater unattended. And thanks again to Outlawd and Laspariahs for the safety reminders.

Monica

Monica hit the nail right on the head. Yes, they are inherently dangerous. The location of the heater in the pic was only for the sake of the picture. In all reality, the heater was well away from everything and, as Monica pointed out, the cords and plugs are all in great condition. While we do go a little overboard in taking care of our bikes, we aren't willing to risk our lives for them. The bikes can be replaced, Monica cannot!

Joe
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Safety first! ... Be careful ...

Safety First?!? Did I not raise you right?

Wait... What has Marc been brainwashing you with?

ghostrider_9
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Joe, you have no idea how hard it has been to get her over the years of mental abuse that you imparted on her. I realize that all the abuse was required by the brother-sister abuse rules. I am just trying to get her to stop running and screaming every time she hear's duct tape being unwound . . .

Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me. Maybe you guys should form some kind of race team. It could be based off of your sibling rivalry . . .

MetaLord 9
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Monica
SIDE NOTE: You have to have one of the oldest join dates of all the "Board Noobs." I know that your posting is a rare and special occasion and I just wanted to share with you how glad I am to have witnessed Post #7, a event that doesn't even happen annually. :D

usmcab35
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 02:15 PM
wow 7 posts in almost 9 years??

ghostrider_9
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 02:22 PM
wow 7 posts in almost 9 years??

Yeah, she's on a roll . . .

Joe
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I'll help explain... (I don't want her to waste one of her posts with something this "trivial")

She was up to 35,xxx posts by 2007 when Ralph threatened to ban her, and reset her counter. So now she just mopes at home all day and dreams up new ways to catch her garage on fire.

Ok, that's all B.S.

MetaLord 9
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Sad part is that at least half of your story is incredibly believable...

ghostrider_9
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I'll help explain... (I don't want her to waste one of her posts with something this "trivial")

She was up to 35,xxx posts by 2007 when Ralph threatened to ban her, and reset her counter. So now she just mopes at home all day and dreams up new ways to catch her garage on fire.

Ok, that's all B.S.

This is the perfect reference to the brotherly love\abuse that I spoke of. You know that right now, she is sitting there, wanting to post up to defend herself and set the record straight, but that would include adding yet another post to her count.

I've got her back though! The bottom line is that she doesn't have to post up. Her presence on the board is enough. She is awesome enough to not need to post. When she does post, it is a big deal. As it should be . . . I'm just sayin'!

Devaclis
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Post Whores

OUTLAWD
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I'm sure her 7 posts hold more value that the sum of your 61,795 posts...

MetaLord 9
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Post Whores
who the fuck is this?