PDA

View Full Version : Helpl a Newb out with his 01 Cbr f4i

wongfeihung
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Hey guys. I was wondering if you could give me some input. I installed the battery backwards on my bike. I checked the fuses and far as I know, there is a black fuse box which has six 10 amp fuses. None of them were blown. There is also a 20 amp fuse on the side of that box which is in a white rectangular box, but it was not blown either. Not too far from there, there is a 30 amp fuse which is by itself, which I assume is the main? That fuse was not blown either. My question is, are these all the fuses or are there more? If not, then what do you suggest that I check next? Thanks again.

dragos13
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 10:50 AM
When you say you checked the fuses, was this with a multi-meter or just visually checking them?

The GECCO
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:45 AM
Can you tell us the specific problem you are trying to fix? I get that you installed the battery wrong, but I assume you have it in correctly now and the problem is that the bike is doing/not doing.....what? What did you and/or the bike do while the battery was hooked up backwards?

MetaLord 9
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:49 AM
Agree. more detail plz.

What happened when you installed the battery backwards. did you try to turn it on? what happened? If you've installed the battery correctly now, what are your symptoms? is the battery still charged? etc...

wongfeihung
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. Here are some more details:

I have a new battery in there and it is fully charged. It is also installed correctly. Yesterday when I had it installed incorrectly, I tried turning on the bike, but noticed that the display was blank, so I checked the battery and sure enough it was backwards.

So here I am with the new battery installed correctly, but the bike is dead. There is nothing, nothing happens when I turn the key to On and push the starter button. Nothing.

When I say that I checked the fuse, it was visual, however I replaced all the fuses to new ones just in case. However, my original question in my first post was that, did I get all the fuses or are there ones that I might have missed?

Thanks again for all the input, I really do appreciate it.

MetaLord 9
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
30 amp should be your main. It sounds like you got all of 'em. You've checked the battery after you installed it correctly to make sure it's still got charge, right? It isn't likely, but it's still possible you could've discharged the battery I suppose.

You've changed the 30 amp fuse and you're SURE that you got it all the way in properly?

If that's the case, it's time to break out the multimeter and start following the charge through the system to see where it stops. You might wanna work backwards a little bit too, just in case the current went the wrong way and fried the closest thing to the neg terminal.

It's possible you could've killed the stator I suppose, but it sounds like you're not gonna know until you start testing

brennahm
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
10:1 you missed a fuse. Don't know the F4's very well, but if the display and everything is dead, that's your most likely issue.

How long was the battery in backwards? How long with the key on?

I assume that you KNOW everything worked fine before the old battery went dead? Or did you replace the battery because everything was dead?

+1 for breaking out the multimeter.

wongfeihung
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
You know what, I suspect I missed a fuse too. Actually, I think I did. In the box (where the six 10 amp fuses are), there was a black fuse looking like thing but with three prongs, instead of the usual two. It had a black coating so I couldn't see if it was split or not. I didn't know what it was so I put it back. Do yo know what it might be?

The battery was installed incorrectly for like 2 minutes. The key was on "on" for those 2 minutes.

MetaLord 9
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
take a pic of the black fuse looking thing & post it

wongfeihung
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 01:49 PM
Cool, I'll get on that. Thanks again.

brennahm
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
I suspect he's referring to the flasher or a relay.

I don't know if this is the same or not but...

If you follow the positive (red) battery cable from the battery you will reach the starter relay. The end of the cable is covered by a molded rubber "flap" that covers another similar cable attached right next to it. The module (about 1.5"x1.5"x1.5") also has a 30A fuse in it. Make sure this is the one you checked and if not, then it's likely your problem.

MetaLord 9
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
I suspect he's referring to the flasher or a relay.

I don't know if this is the same or not but...

Agree. Probably the flasher, but I'm not as familiar with them being mounted in/around the fuse board

If you follow the positive (red) battery cable from the battery you will reach the starter relay. The end of the cable is covered by a molded rubber "flap" that covers another similar cable attached right next to it. The module (about 1.5"x1.5"x1.5") also has a 30A fuse in it. Make sure this is the one you checked and if not, then it's likely your problem.
Also agree.

There aren't too many 30A fuses on the bike but you might have to pull apart two plastic pieces to get to the fuse on the starter relay. I know my hurricanes have a red bottom & green top to them that you have to pull apart to get to the fuse. This is the first stop the wire from the positive terminal makes.

If that's not the case, double check your fuses again, then break out the multi-meter. If the battery fried something by being in backwards, I'd follow the negative wire right after I confirm that the starter relay has power flowing through it

Penadam
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:10 PM
Send me a pm if you want to borrow the service manual. You'll probably find the wiring diagram useful.

wongfeihung
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:15 PM

THANK YOU! I didn't know there was a fuse hidden in there and sure enough it was blown. I replaced it and now I have power! But here is another problem. I started the bike and I hear the bike cranking but then it will revert to a series of clicks. So after several attempts at starting the bike, it won't crank anymore and just click. Any thoughts?

I really want to thank all of you for taking the time to help me out. Thank you MetaLord 9 for helping me to think through this and brennahm for helping me to get power back on the bike. And Penadam for the offer to let me borrow your manual. Is this place always so nice?

Wrider
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Means the battery is discharged. Charge it back up and reinstall it correctly, then try again. It could also be that it's so cold out the battery doesn't want to start the bike. I suggest charging it up then trying to start it again tomorrow when it's above frickin freezin... lol

MetaLord 9
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
NP. It's clicking because your battery's dead or close to it. If you bought a new battery they're not always fully charged. Toss it on a tender overnight and you'll be fine.

brennahm
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
But here is another problem. I started the bike and I hear the bike cranking but then it will revert to a series of clicks. So after several attempts at starting the bike, it won't crank anymore and just click. Any thoughts?

What he said. Dead battery.

Is this place always so nice?

Depends on if we've all been taking our Midol or not.:gay:

wongfeihung
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 06:51 PM
^^ I'll charge my battery tonight and try it in the morning. I can tell you for sure that all of you have been so generous with your knowledge. Thanks again.

p.s. I will learn as much as possible and pass along my knowledge as you guys have done for me. :)

Wrider
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:23 PM
No problem, just know you now owe us your soul, left nut, and firstborn...

The GECCO
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:53 PM
Why is it always the left nut? My favorite's the right :dunno:

wongfeihung
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
No problem, just know you now owe us your soul, left nut, and firstborn...

lol, at this point I might be willing to part with those things if I could ride again. ya know what I mean :p

usmcab35
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:25 AM
lol, at this point I might be willing to part with those things if I could ride again. ya know what I mean :p

just be careful what you say if your not serious, cause when you are sleeping in your bed, the shadows of csc will come and take all of that lol good luck with the bike! :rock:

MetaLord 9
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:45 AM
Dibs on the soul. I'm thinking of starting a collection...

bulldog
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:11 AM
THANK YOU! I didn't know there was a fuse hidden in there and sure enough it was blown. I replaced it and now I have power! But here is another problem. I started the bike and I hear the bike cranking but then it will revert to a series of clicks. So after several attempts at starting the bike, it won't crank anymore and just click. Any thoughts?

I really want to thank all of you for taking the time to help me out. Thank you MetaLord 9 for helping me to think through this and brennahm for helping me to get power back on the bike. And Penadam for the offer to let me borrow your manual. Is this place always so nice? I saw you posted this question on a lot of boards, but since our members were the cool/smart ones to solve the problem you should come back and be an active member :D

Sleev
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
I have this same bike. Let me know if you need further assistance. I also have a copy of the service manual in case.

OUTLAWD
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 01:55 PM
I saw you posted this question on a lot of boards, but since our members were the cool/smart ones to solve the problem you should come back and be an active member :D

Do we really need more honda people hanging around... ;)

rybo
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 01:57 PM
Why is it always the left nut? My favorite's the right :dunno:

because you already gave the left one away? :)

wongfeihung
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:42 PM
I saw you posted this question on a lot of boards, but since our members were the cool/smart ones to solve the problem you should come back and be an active member :D

Yeah, I thought that getting it out on several boards would help me fix the bike faster, but it turns out you guys were the most generous. Anyways, I'm staying here that's for sure. :)

p.s. I got my bike fixed and it's running thanks to all of you. I appreciate your hospitality and generosity.

Sleev
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:53 PM
Let's just hope you pass the initiation. : D

Wrider
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 11:12 PM

You idiot! You're not supposed to tell him about the initiation until he meets one of us in person, and by then he's trapped!

usmcab35
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 09:40 AM
You idiot! You're not supposed to tell him about the initiation until he meets one of us in person, and by then he's trapped!

:pointlaugh:

MetaLord 9
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Tell him the initiation is to by us a round of Fireball, but that he has to start with a double.

wongfeihung
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 04:17 PM

Hey, do you guys get together and ride? I would love to ride with you guys, or at least meet up and get some wings? :blowup:

Winsa12
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I did this in my Ford Taurus in high school. I thought the alternator died as all the symptoms pointed to that. Turns out I blew the MEGA Fuse, which in a 3.0 V6 is a piece of copper hidden under the battery. It sounds like you found that.

You are lucky you didn't fry your battery, I did because it was old and weak. YOu probably did damage it, so monitor it so it does not leave you stranded.