PDA

View Full Version : Eco-groups sue Forest Service over motorized routes

salsashark
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
At some point, the level headed citizens are going start offing hippies... :banghead:

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_17265802#ixzz1Cpyz08V1

A quintet of environmental groups has sued the U.S. Forest Service, arguing that the agency gave its blessing to hundreds of miles of routes for motorized vehicles without proper review.
The groups, represented by the environmental law organization Earthjustice, say the routes slice through some of the most treasured parts of the Pike-San Isabel National Forest: in wetlands, along gold-medal fishing streams and across important habitat for endangered Preble's meadow jumping mice and Mexican spotted owls.

more...

asp_125
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Great Old Broads for Wilderness. :pointlaugh:

MetaLord 9
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:37 PM
I still think there should be a hippie open season. It'd do great things for Boulder's tourism

brennahm
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:44 PM
So what exactly are your complaints? That we want to be able to open routes without following preset guidelines and procedures? This is what the hippies are complaining about and if they're correct and this is how certain routes were opened them I'm right there with them.

To say they're doing something wrong without presenting what exactly they're wrong about is hypocritical considering the backlash the fed received last year when they tried to designate large pieces of federal land as wilderness without going through the proper channels and procedures.

A little shortsighted to criticize others for trying to protect OUR lands just because you view them as treehuggers...

On the other hand, if these trails were approved in the correct manner and this is a stunt, I see them as stupid and useless as Sarah Palin or the people who blame her for the Tucson shooting.

salsashark
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:12 PM
After going back and re-reading the story, perhaps it was a knee-jerk reaction to post the story. I agree. If the forest service did indeed not follow process set forth by law, then they should not have approved the roads. It does sound like they took the lazy way out.

The kicker on it will be that if these trails were not approved, they will most likely be closed indefinitely. Removing more access to national forest land. I understand that there are idiots out there that don't understand the "tread lightly" or "Stay the Trail" mentality, but I don't want to have the .gov shut down my access because a couple of idiots don't know how to keep from spinning their 37" boggers.

It goes right back to "How do you eat an elephant?" ...one bite at a time. I think that's where my reaction came from. The USFS won't take the time to do the jib right, they'll just close everything and tell us to F off.

On a semi-unrelated note:
It also reminds me of when I was in the commercial real estate world. We had a piece of property in the tech center area that we were trying to develop. While there was never any found, we had someone file a report that there was some endangered field mouse that lived on our property. It froze our development for 5 years and we wasted a ton of money on environmental surveys... never did find that stupid mouse. Finally sold the property and they plowed the entire parcel and dropped a waterpark on it. Such a waste of money.

asp_125
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:27 PM
I think the people who claim there were endangered field mice should foot the bill for the "then prove it" study.

salsashark
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
^^ would have been nice... When all was said and done we had spent well into the 6 figures for a freaking mouse we never found.

MetaLord 9
Wed Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
There's a story? screw that, I'm just tired of hippies :D

RCStylin'
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I think the people who claim there were endangered field mice should foot the bill for the "then prove it" study.

Sure would be nice if conservatives were endangered.

MetaLord 9
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Or if liberals could afford their initiatives on their own. :jerkoff:

FZRguy
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 01:35 AM
If the trails are on the MVUM, it’s assumed that proper procedures were followed. How many of you are COHVCO members? You can bitch and moan about it, or you can do something to help fight the anti-access groups. COHVCO is fighting the good fight to keep our trials open to responsible motorized use in CO. They do excellent work and deserve your support. http://www.cohvco.org/ (http://www.cohvco.org/)

modette99
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 11:49 AM

FZRguy
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 07:41 PM
The anti-access groups will stop at nothing til every inch of forest is designated Wilderness. Never mind that millions of acres don’t meet the definition of Wilderness as defined in the Wilderness Act of 1964. Once it’s gone, it’s gone forever. The mtn bikers are with us, since Wilderness does not allow MTB. And yes, there are plenty of hiking only trails in the state.

Have you heard of the Hidden Gems Wilderness Bill? It’s just one bill where 243,000 acres of multi-use trails will go poof. Millions of acres have been wrongly designated as Wilderness over the last ten years. There will be few trails to ride a dirt bike or even a MTB in another 10 years if we don’t stop them.

More info on Hidden Gems: http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/?alert=1179

BRC ACTION ALERT
MEETINGS ANNOUNCED FOR HIDDEN GEMS WILDERNESS BILL
PLEASE ATTEND OR CONTACT YOUR CONGRESSMAN

Dear BRC member and supporter in Colorado,

After over a year of wrangling between local governments, mountain bikers, cattlemen, snowmobilers and off-highway vehicle enthusiasts, the Hidden Gems Campaign has formally submitted a proposal to U.S. Representative Jared Polis.

Its worthwhile to note that the original Hidden Gems proposal was pegged at just under 600,000 acres, but the proposal submitted to Rep. Polis stands at 243,000 acres of public lands managed by the White River National Forest and Bureau of Land Management.

Kudos to local snowmobile clubs as well as the White River Forest Alliance who have worked diligently to defend recreational access to these prized Colorado backcountry destinations.

While the proposal has been drastically reduced, it is still fatally flawed. One key flaw is that few of the acres actually meet the definition of Wilderness as outlined in the 1964 Act. These acres are best managed by the existing Forest Plan or perhaps a more recreation friendly designation such as a National Recreation Area. Other key flaws are the closure of some prized snowmobile and OHV areas including Elliot Ridge, Hoosier Ridge, Porcupine and Ten Mile in Summit County. Eagle County could also lose Lower Pinney, Freeman Creek, Basalt Mtn, Spradle Creek and No Name.

BRC encourages everyone who can to attend at least one of the open houses. We've included an Action Alert below with the dates, times and locations as well as some additional information.

DFab
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 11:49 AM

They would almost certainly not be able to pay for the study. If the burden of proof does not rest with the developer, who should it rest with? Should the public pay for such studies? Or do you trust developers to halt development on their own when there is high risk to endangered species or ground water or......

The anti-access groups will stop at nothing til every inch of forest is designated Wilderness.

Hyperbole much?

FZRguy
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I get ranting a bit on the subject, but it is a serious threat. And there are wacko enviros that would like nothing more. They are called Public Lands b/c they are for the public, not just hikers.

modette99
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 08:54 PM

FZRguy
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Google group sues to close ohv area and you will see how prolific this is. We all want to protect the environment, forest, back-country, water table, etc. But when certain user groups go on a crusade to shutout other user groups, and resort to underhanded methods, I got a problem with that.

modette99
Thu Feb 10th, 2011, 09:40 AM

FZRguy
Thu Feb 10th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Yes, the idiots make us all look bad……on the trail and the street.

Here’s another big one that could shut down millions of acres of OHV trails.

Dozens of federal lawmakers oppose new 'Wild Lands' land-use policy

January 28, 2011

Nearly 60 federal lawmakers have joined forces to ask Department of Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to withdraw a recent order creating a new land-use designation that could bar responsible off-highway riding from public land, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

(http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/NewsView/11-01-28/Dozens_of_federal_lawmakers_oppose_new_Wild_Lands_ land-use_policy.aspx)http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/NewsView/11-01-28/Dozens_of_federal_lawmakers_oppose_new_Wild_Lands_ land-use_policy.aspx