PDA

View Full Version : let your faucets drip

usmcab35
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:00 AM
just a little advice, i got to leave early yesterday from work to find 4-5 in of water in my entire lower level of my house... the outside facuet line froze and bursted, taking out my kitchen and living room, and a little of the garage, thankfully the bike stayed nice and dry..

aerofaze
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:21 AM
Booo! Sorry to hear about that- but yes, at least the bike is dry. :)

I've been leaving my cabinet doors open too (where the pipes run up in the kitchen since mine are next to an exterior wall).

CaneZach
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:26 AM
One of my pipes burst as well. Same as yours, it was the outside spigot line. Fortunately, it was noticed very quickly, so there's no water damage. The plumber can't come out until Friday, which is really inconvenient.

usmcab35
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:26 AM
Booo! Sorry to hear about that- but yes, at least the bike is dry. :)

I've been leaving my cabinet doors open too (where the pipes run up in the kitchen since mine are next to an exterior wall).

yea that is how mine are too, they suggested cutting a hole in the bottom of the cabinet and installing a vent cover so warm air can make it down in there.. i will probably do that but right now my kitchen is almost completely gutted..

usmcab35
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:28 AM
One of my pipes burst as well. Same as yours, it was the outside spigot line. Fortunately, it was noticed very quickly, so there's no water damage. The plumber can't come out until Friday, which is really inconvenient.

yea mine turned my house into a pool for 4-5 hrs

salsashark
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:28 AM
well... they haven't froze yet, so I'm not going to worry about it. Sorry to hear about your house shower.

yea that is how mine are too, they suggested cutting a hole in the bottom of the cabinet and installing a vent cover so warm air can make it down in there.. i will probably do that but right now my kitchen is almost completely gutted..

I have a vent under my kitchen sink... maybe this is why.

vort3xr6
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:30 AM
On my kitchen sink, the cold side won't turn on. I have looked all over the house and I can't see or hear any damage. I left the faucet on so the water could expand somewhere.

What should I do?

Sean
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:31 AM
I have been letting them drip for the past couple of days but last night they froze. I left while it was still dark and didn't notice anything burst. Hopefully the place is okay? But every water line in the house was frozen solid. :(

usmcab35
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:37 AM
they told me if it should happen again, that i should open cabinets to let heat get in there and turn off main water shutoff till it warms up...

MetaLord 9
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:47 AM
That sucks man. I've been ultra paranoid at our house too, even though we're renting

Reyven
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:09 AM
On my kitchen sink, the cold side won't turn on. I have looked all over the house and I can't see or hear any damage. I left the faucet on so the water could expand somewhere.

What should I do?

can sometimes help to let turn on the warm water and let it trickle. the pipes often run along side one another and it will slowly heat up the other. has worked for me in the past.

Rhino
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:12 AM
For those with currently frozen lines, turn the heat up. It's cheaper than repairing a burst.

If you can see the affected pipes, such as an unfinished basement or crawlspace, leave the faucet open and walk the line with a hair dryer. If you're lucky, it will break free.

Sometimes you can luck out and the line freezes, but doesn't burst. If you're leaving for work or something, I recommend turning off the house main so you don't come home to a pool.

I have a thawing machine and can repair broken lines. I'll be in the Denver Metro today.

Master Plumber, insured. http://www.rhinoplumbing.com (http://www.rhinoplumbing.com/)

Cap'n Crunch
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:40 AM
I had a pipe in my house freeze up Tuesday night. Luckily, I was able thaw it before it cracked the pipe. To those that have frozen pipes, do not use a propane torch to thaw them.... it could cause the pipe to explode. Like Rhino says, use a hair dryer and heat it slowly.

Mel
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:43 AM
Or better...just call Rhino... :-)

TurboGizzmo
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:59 AM
Or better...just call Rhino... :-)

+1

~Barn~
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 09:02 AM
For those with currently frozen lines, turn the heat up. It's cheaper than repairing a burst.

If you can see the affected pipes, such as an unfinished basement or crawlspace, leave the faucet open and walk the line with a hair dryer. If you're lucky, it will break free.

Sometimes you can luck out and the line freezes, but doesn't burst. If you're leaving for work or something, I recommend turning off the house main so you don't come home to a pool.

I have a thawing machine and can repair broken lines. I'll be in the Denver Metro today.

Master Plumber, insured. http://www.rhinoplumbing.com

Can you insulate the "closet" that our waterheater and furnace are located in? It's a ridiculously ineffecient design that I don't know why was done this way (outside of maybe space saving?).

Either way, I don't know how or what kind of insulation would be appropriate for such an enclosed space like that, that wouldn't pose a fire danger.

Rhino
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 09:13 AM
Can you insulate the "closet" that our waterheater and furnace are located in? It's a ridiculously ineffecient design that I don't know why was done this way (outside of maybe space saving?).

Either way, I don't know how or what kind of insulation would be appropriate for such an enclosed space like that, that wouldn't pose a fire danger.

There really isn't much of a fire danger. The vent is usually single wall, which only requires 6" of clearance. If it's B vent, or double wall, it only needs 1". Down by the burner, the only usual issue is flammable vapors: gasoline, paint thinner, etc stored nearby.

Depending on your situation, plastic sheeting and staples can do wonders.

usmcab35
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 09:37 AM
dang rhino wish i would have know that you were a plumber, i would have called you yesterday, but now i know, if i have anymore issues i will get a hold of you. I like helping a fellow csc'er if i can

modette99
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:42 AM

bulldog
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:52 AM
just a little advice, i got to leave early yesterday from work to find 4-5 in of water in my entire lower level of my house... the outside facuet line froze and bursted, taking out my kitchen and living room, and a little of the garage, thankfully the bike stayed nice and dry.. Damn man, sorry this happen; I always worry about this even when it is not cold outside. It is amazing how fast one broken pipe can flood a house :confused:

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 12:59 PM

...I have a thawing machine and can repair broken lines. I'll be in the Denver Metro today.What's that machine look like? We had one when I was a kid and it was basically a welder type set up. Clip the positive electrode at one end of the pipe and the negative on the other side of the freeze. Turn up voltage and let sit for a few.

I've always wondered if I could use a welder to do the same. I don't see why not, it's the same exact principle.

Rhino
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:48 PM
What's that machine look like? We had one when I was a kid and it was basically a welder type set up. Clip the positive electrode at one end of the pipe and the negative on the other side of the freeze. Turn up voltage and let sit for a few.

I've always wondered if I could use a welder to do the same. I don't see why not, it's the same exact principle.

http://www.drainbrain.com/specialties/hotshot.html (http://www.drainbrain.com/specialties/hotshot.html)

It's the same principle in the way you can kill a fly on your glass table with a sledge hammer.

Welders are known for doing bad things when used for thawing. They can get so hot fast enough that they can actually unsolder fittings. The other issue is the house's electrical system. The main breaker panel is usually grounded to both the ground stake, but also to the water main where it enters the building. There are stories of setting the panel on fire, or sometimes your neighbors.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 09:44 PM
http://www.drainbrain.com/specialties/hotshot.html (http://www.drainbrain.com/specialties/hotshot.html)

It's the same principle in the way you can kill a fly on your glass table with a sledge hammer.

Welders are known for doing bad things when used for thawing. They can get so hot fast enough that they can actually unsolder fittings. The other issue is the house's electrical system. The main breaker panel is usually grounded to both the ground stake, but also to the water main where it enters the building. There are stories of setting the panel on fire, or sometimes your neighbors.On a quick glance it looks like what we had.

I wasn't suggesting you turn the welder all the way up. So, it looks like you can use a welder, if you juice it on the low side. Maybe a welder doesn't go low enough, though. I don't know...

Wrider
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 11:16 PM

Welders are known for doing bad things when used for thawing. They can get so hot fast enough that they can actually unsolder fittings. The other issue is the house's electrical system. The main breaker panel is usually grounded to both the ground stake, but also to the water main where it enters the building. There are stories of setting the panel on fire, or sometimes your neighbors.

I'm not seeing the problem here.

Sean
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 07:28 AM
My pipes thawed by the time I got home from work and nothing burst! It was a good day! :bananna:

usmcab35
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 08:34 AM
you got lucky sean....