PDA

View Full Version : alpinestars TZ1

ahsix
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Well, I got my suit in and it fits pretty well (i have big legs/calves and i ended up taking out the lower leg armor so the boots would fit...its still a tight fit :()

I'm definitely not used to leather pants and how restricting they are. I feel a lot more confident in jeans.

One problem is that the crotch/butt area has that stretch material and its REALLY slippery. Like, to the point where if I brake hard I slide up on the tank. Slipping and sliding around on the seat when you don't mean to is pretty unnerving.

Anyone have any suggestions?

haywood jablome
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Grip tape your ass? You could also use some Velcro put the soft part on your ass and the hard grip stuff on the seat!!!! :idea:

Rick T.
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Quit Armor All'ing you seat... it makes your tires nice and shiny though! :D :lol:

ahsix
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Quit Armor All'ing you seat... it makes your tires nice and shiny though! :D :lol:

that would be a big negative red ranger, no armor all here :P

maybe i just need to get used to it :roll:

Rick T.
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Actually, I have the same suite, only 2-pc. I don't seem to slide around as much as you describe - but my fat ass may have something to do with that...

And, unlike you, I feel more "confident" when riding in full-gear - gives me more a sense of security...

But, I think its just a matter of getting use to it. You tracking soon?

ahsix
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 10:53 AM
actually, mine's a 2 piece too. i read on cycleforums maybe i should scoot around or break it in more...who knows.

yeah, i plan on tracking soon :) been to that ghetto track IMI (which is cool...but i'm not sure i'm down with racing with gokarts) and I'm looking to try out other tracks

Boy Scout
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 02:59 PM
I'm definitely not used to leather pants and how restricting they are. I feel a lot more confident in jeans.

You definitely need a little break-in time with it. Mine gets better each time I wear it. As for confidence, I felt the same way when I first got mine. The suit was stiff, the boots were stiff, and the gloves were stiff. I felt very constrained and didn't feel like I had as good of control of things as when I was wearing lighter weight jeans. It will get better the more you wear it. At this point, as Rick T said, I feel more confident in the suit. It doesn't feel near as tight and constraining as it did at first. I suspect this is due to a combination of me getting used to the fit, and the gear getting broken in with time on the bike.

As for sliding around, mine doesn't have the stretch material in the seat, and in fact I had somewhat the opposite problem in that my suit tended to stick and keep me from moving easily. That's gotten better over time as well.

BlueDevil
Thu Aug 7th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Congrats on the new suite Ahsix. They take a while to get used to. Mine took a good 5 - 6 track days before I felt comfy iin them. My calfs are to big for mine and I have to squeeze them in there but in time it will feel like part of U.

How is the bike coming?

RSVR4aCowboy
Thu Aug 7th, 2003, 02:18 PM
ahsix, my Spidi suit felt slick the first couple days on the bike. It now feels great. Not too sticky and not slippery. Might need to give it some break in time. :up:

Ace
Tue Aug 12th, 2003, 10:11 AM
How loose are the pants? I'm looking at the Track pant by Alpinestars and was wondering how loose they should be.

Dan

Rick T.
Tue Aug 12th, 2003, 10:17 AM
How loose are the pants? I'm looking at the Track pant by Alpinestars and was wondering how loose they should be.

Dan

I have those pants. I really like how they fit... They should feel "right"/comfortable when you are "on" the bike... Standing/walking in them, they should not fit "exactly right" or they may be too tight when you are actually on your bike...

Good quality, decent price.

rocktboy
Fri Aug 15th, 2003, 10:08 AM

Dan

all track gear should be snug, including pants.....otherwise you could get hurt from simply banging against the moving pads and armor in your track pants....I have seen/heard really bad bruises and burns from ill-fitting suits in a crash...... :cry:

Hozerking
Fri Aug 15th, 2003, 11:44 AM
The whole sliding in the seat issue is a matter of riding style! ... I try and keep little weight of the seat so that I can easily reposition my body, thus I keep my weight on the pegs and grab the tank with my thighs so that I can still keep my weight off my wrists. For me this does two things... It prevents the bad effects of having uneven weight on the bars (a personal problem that used to cause unexpected results in the twisties, it was really unnerving until I figured out what the hell I was goind) to help me steer better and makes the bike more stable, at least from my perspective! .... going on the interstate I put my wieight in the seat and keep my body upright as much as possible to keep the weight of my wrists as well, even then I'm holding the tank with my legs so that I don't slide too far forward and rack myself!

the seat sliding issue for me is a good thing because I can move around easily? but try riding so that your boddy not just supported by your butt! ... this way the sliding thing will not be a problem and you'll have better control of the bike! and by supporting yourself more from the pegs and the tank you won't move unless you intedn to do so .... my 2c.

and your gear should be snug! ... it wil eventually brake in just make sure it is not so snug that you limbs are falling asleep! ... I would say that is too snug?!

-al

ahsix
Fri Aug 15th, 2003, 03:07 PM
well, its broken in a little bit but its still pretty restricting on the lower thighs. the slipperyness has disappeared for the most part unless under really hard braking...i'm guessing thats just part of breaking in the suit.

i'm sure it'll get better as i wear it more often...

side note: just got a suomy spec1r helmet and at first, my ears were getting folded under when i put it on :lol: after wearing it for a week and stretching it out...its PERFECT. I love this helmet 8)