PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Stabilizers with an Ethanol Twist

GuitarX
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hi all,

I thought I was being a good bike owner by using Sta-bil when not riding the bikes for a while over this winter. I had no idea that ethanol posed different challenges and I may not be doing much good after all.

Here are some links to products that stabilize fuels with ethanol. I found this on another forum, maybe it will help someone here as well:

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

http://www.valvtect.com/ethanol.asp

dchd1130
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 11:45 AM
The problem with ethanol is it separates from the fuel when the moisture content reaches a certain level. None of these products work for that. Your best bet is to run it dry. This is a huge issue in my industry.

usmcab35
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM
ive always used sea foam not sure if it has ethanol but i have never had a problem. ive put it in everything at my house that takes fuel.

sfarson
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 12:15 PM
At our altitude, and our more arid climate, there is little to no need to use a fuel stabilizer over the winter. For years I did the stabilizer ritual. Then heard stories from others here who put their bikes away in October or November (without any stabilizer), got them out in April and they fired and ran with no woes. Last year I parked a Chevy Astro van for almost ten months. I needed to jump the battery, it started right away, and ran just fine.

usmcab35
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 12:16 PM
altitude effects fuel breaking down? i didnt know that..

rybo
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM
altitude effects fuel breaking down? i didnt know that..

A little, it's more about the humidity than the altitude. Since the air is less dense it's not able to hold as much water.

Fuel also oxidizes, so lower air density = less oxygen = less oxidation.

Scott

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Yeah, it's mainly the oxidation that is the problem but there are also reactions between some of the components of the gasoline. For storage over the winter, the cooler temperatures reduce the reaction rates, slowing them by about a factor of two for every 10 degree Celsius (18 F) drop, as you may remember from high school chemistry class. So, you can probably do fine without additives for a few months over the winter here with (as pointed out by Rybo) the lower oxygen levels and colder temps.

Dirk

MetaLord 9
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 01:46 PM
...OR (and I know this is kind of an out-there suggestion) you could just ride the bike and not worry about it. :D

usmcab35
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 02:11 PM
...OR (and I know this is kind of an out-there suggestion) you could just ride the bike and not worry about it. :D
:lol::lol::lol:

rybo
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 02:13 PM

Yeah, that way you can avoid heater problems in your car :)

usmcab35
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 02:16 PM
^^hes got a point lol

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Rybo just laid down some pwnage...

But, Chris, yeah, that's my approach. I do use Stabil in the lawnmower and race/collection bikes.

Dirk

MetaLord 9
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Yeah, that way you can avoid heater problems in your car :)
touche'....but I'm kinda blanking on the last time I actually saw you riding a bike on the street there Scott...

To your point though, either way, I'm wearing winter riding gear! :lol:

[side note: heat works like a damn champ now! Thank God I didn't have an expensive coil replacement on my hands!]

Rybo just laid down some pwnage...

But, Chris, yeah, that's my approach. I do use Stabil in the lawnmower and race/collection bikes.
I'll go run the project bikes for a bit to make sure that nothing is breaking down too much and then add a little fresh gas to mix it up.

Stabill in the lawn mower's not a bad idea though! Once I get the damned thing running again...