PDA

View Full Version : H&R Block? Your thoughts?

vort3xr6
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Tax time.

I have always used Turbo tax since I was a single restaurant employee making tips so I always got an assload of money back.

Now I am a married homeowner, that has to claim every cent of income. For some reason TurboTax this year thought that I was too selfish with my money. It says I owe almost 2k.

It wouldn't even let me deduct my mortgage insurance OR property taxes. It just kept me on the standard saying I didn't have enough deductions.

So I got a referral to see this nice lady who has been working at H&R block for 6 years. Going to see what a tax prep person can do for me.

Anybody have good / bad experiences?

t_jolt
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Brad i can give you a referral to a tax guy who got me 6k back last year. And im in the same court as you. My guy works for HR block too. Expect to pay around $200 for full tax service.

Tips:
Go to good will and donate stuff. Make sure you have the reg of your cars, anything for tax write offs etc...

Let me know if you want me to head down the street tonight.

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Tax time.

I have always used Turbo tax since I was a single restaurant employee making tips so I always got an assload of money back.

Now I am a married homeowner, that has to claim every cent of income. For some reason TurboTax this year thought that I was too selfish with my money. It says I owe almost 2k.

It wouldn't even let me deduct my mortgage insurance OR property taxes. It just kept me on the standard saying I didn't have enough deductions.

So I got a referral to see this nice lady who has been working at H&R block for 6 years. Going to see what a tax prep person can do for me.

Anybody have good / bad experiences?I'm curious how that works out for ya. Every year I have a few friends who go to H&R or some other place and then we redo it in TurboTax, for shits and giggles. Turbo either gets them more money back (or owe less) or it works out to be the same, within $20.

derekm
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 07:36 PM
This is who my family & myself have always used.
http://www.manta.com/c/mm8t3t1/marie-ottensman-pultz-cpa

Captain Obvious
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I use a lady who was referred to me by a member here. 2 years all is well, very reasonably priced. Self employed (code for no corporate vultures! even though I work for one). :)

PM sent.

The Black Knight
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I've always liked H&R, had them do my taxes for several years in a row. I like their policy of, if something gets messed up and you get audited, then they will go to court on your behalf(not that it would ever happen, as my taxes are pretty cut and dry). What mainly kept me going back, were the cool coupons I'd get from them in the mail, with sometimes $25 or $35 off a tax return. Then I quit getting those promos, and started using my aunt to do my taxes. FWIW, I liked H&R and have not one bad thing to say about them.

vort3xr6
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys. I talked to the lady at H&R tonight and she pretty much confirmed my worst fear. I don't have enough deductions to take advantage of an itemized situation.

Also, mid way through the year I got a 10g raise and never changed my W4 so I pretty much screwed myself.

Unfortunately this means no racing this year. Keep an eye on the for sale forums if you have an 06+ gsxr. Going to be some really nice parts up there.

ON the plus side, this means I can get a street bike again and race minimoto.

Kim-n-Dean
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys. I talked to the lady at H&R tonight and she pretty much confirmed my worst fear. I don't have enough deductions to take advantage of an itemized situation.

Also, mid way through the year I got a 10g raise and never changed my W4 so I pretty much screwed myself.

Unfortunately this means no racing this year. Keep an eye on the for sale forums if you have an 06+ gsxr. Going to be some really nice parts up there.

ON the plus side, this means I can get a street bike again and race minimoto.Sorry to hear you don't get the itemized deductions, but glad too hear TurboTax was correct. I've been using TurboTax for over fifteen years, the last ten years with a home business, and regularly compare it against taxes prepared by many others. So far, it's always been the better choice. $70 for software versus giving a stranger $200 to $500.

modette99
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 09:38 AM

Dietrich_R1
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Unless your a business owner or ur taxes are extremely complicated....

1) Do the taxes ur self.

2) Take copies of your tax crap down to the local HR/etc tax shop. See what they come up with. If they come up w/ more minus their fees... then its a no brainer! U don't owe them anything, unless they file!

Matt
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 07:55 AM
+1 on TurboTax. We've been using it for 16 years now and really like it.

The tax loopholes are for people with boat loads of money. Us mortals living on average incomes don't have a lot of leeway on how our taxes are computed.

Our financial planner held a dinner with a tax preparer for a guest speaker. I specifically asked what the advantage of having her do my taxes was (giving her a summary of what our return looks like). Her answer was that TurboTax was a good way for us to go.

modette99
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 11:03 AM

Kim-n-Dean
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Like I said earlier, ten years with a home business. I write off a percentage of my homes total square footage for my office. That same ratio applies to all my utilities. All my income is a 1099. Write off entertainment, home repairs, meals, gas, auto repair, truck, paper, ink, computers, printers, software, etc.

My situation doesn't change from year to year, so what I really like about Turbo, is every year I just buy the new software, load last years return and T.T. fills in all pertinent information and all I do is change the numbers. Takes about ten minutes and I'm done.

Speaking of taxes. Still waiting on one 1099 so I can file!!!! Hurry up , damn it!!!!