PDA

View Full Version : Cali peeps...places to avoid near Bakersfield?

OUTLAWD
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM
So, it appears as I may have an employment opportunity in Tehachapi/Mojave, CA pretty soon here. I am trying to go through some logistics to see if its worth holding out for something here in CO.

I have been browsing the maps, and it looks like possible places to live will be Bakersfield, Lacaster/Palmdale, California City, the areas around Edwards AFB, etc. Just wondering if there are any areas that are particularly better or worse than others, and what the area is like in general.

Any input?

I could probably care less about local riding with Willow Springs and Buttonwillow so close :)

aerofaze
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Dave.

DON'T LEAVE US!!!!!
:cry:

OUTLAWD
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I'm really trying not to...CO has been good to me, and the people are alright too ;)

longrider
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 12:58 PM
One thing to watch out for is the cost of living. I realize the housing crash may have changed this but 10 -15 years ago a friend of mine got a big promotion and a 40% raise but he had to move to CA. After a couple years he moved back because even the 40% raise didn't cover the cost of living :(

OUTLAWD
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I compared denver metro to Bakerfield metro, because I was thinking the same thing...the one site I looked at took pretty much everything into account, and denver was more expensive by a couple percent.

no matter where I work, I won't be able to stay in FoCo most likely, so, I'll see what they come back to me with, but if I can get in at a comapny in golden, I'll definately take it over moving across the country again

Sarge
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 01:38 PM
That part of Cali, out in the Riverside County area is generally a LOT cheaper than the beach cities, but you have to be careful. Riverside County and surrounding areas are FULL of white trash and poor people. It's a big running joke down there how that area is the armpit of the state. Also, Palmdale/Lancaster are HUGE meth problem areas.

OUTLAWD
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 02:50 PM
That part of Cali, out in the Riverside County area is generally a LOT cheaper than the beach cities, but you have to be careful. Riverside County and surrounding areas are FULL of white trash and poor people. It's a big running joke down there how that area is the armpit of the state. Also, Palmdale/Lancaster are HUGE meth problem areas.

thanks man...these are the things I had in mind...I am def gonna have a place with a garage, but I want to minimize the chances of me coming home to an empty house/garage as much as possible, especially since the job involves alot of travel...I am used to living in less than desirable areas, but I just want to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into. FoCo is almost some sort of utopia, I left my jeep parked on the street overnight, windows down, key in the ignition, it was completely untouched the next morning, I was shocked.

SloBlue
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 03:52 PM
My sister-in-law lives in Bakersfield. Nice areas and bad areas. I used to live in Victorville. It wasn't bad then, but when I go back through, it seems to have gone downhill. (As does most of California). If I had to move back out there, I'd look for a place to live out in the desert, without neighbors. Make sure you have a sufficient firearm, plenty of ammo and get a dirt bike to enjoy all the open space. If it's not too far from where you need to be, look north, like Ridgecrest. You'll be close to Mammoth too.

Matty
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 04:06 PM
If you don't mind traveling check out Santa Clarita and Valencia area. It's about 30 min south of Palmdale/Lancaster. Bakersfield is cool, well the good area. But you're stuck on the otherside of the Grapevine along Interstate 5. so it's a drive to get to LA. Plus when it does snow they close the Grapevine down.

If you're looking by Edwards airforce base. You do have Willow Springs Raceway right across the 14 freeway. Plus all the fun twistys along Angeles Crest and Angeles Forest Highway.

Hit me up if you want more info on the surrounding areas.

Tylar
Sat Feb 5th, 2011, 04:10 PM
:imwithstupid:

I swam with a bunch of folks from Bakersville when I was staying in Fresno, bad and good.

Sad to hear you may be gone, but happy you are finally getting into the workforce of choice, Dave.