PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change and Winterizing Opinion

G35CO
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM
This topic came up on a different bike forum and I would like to get your opinion on the subject.

Per my bike maintenance schedule you need to change your oil every 4k miles. Since I’m not riding more then 4k miles a year I change the oil on my bike once a year around March, I use Mobil1 full syn motorcycle oil. During winter I charge my battery and use fuel stabilizer. On nice days during winter I ride my bike for couple hours. I try to ride the bike at least once a month during winter.

Per the other forum I need to change my oil before winter and not ride my bike during winter. What you thoughts on that?

Valguard
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Sounds good to me and I don't see any problems that would cause. Just let your bike get warmed up before you go speed around.

Bueller
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I don't winterize. I ride em.

I change the oil every 3k mi. on street bikes

laspariahs
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I change my oil and put stabil in it, I have ridden it a couple of times, but I figure it's ok to ride it a little.

OUTLAWD
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I agree with the changing oil before winter...I forget where I read the reasoning, but it made alot of sense. I change oil 3-4k on the street bike and every other trackday/raceweekend on the track bike

I really dont "winterize" though, I swap the tender from bike to bike, especially if neither are getting ridden, flush the water and put in antifreeze, do the routine maintenance and ride them when I can...I don't even know what stabil is...haha

King Nothing
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Meh. Motorcycle people freak the hell out when it winter rolls around. They treat their $8000 bikes like they are multi-million dollar Bugatti Veyrons. Give me a f'in break. I've never "winterized" any of my bikes and they have all started up and run just fine when spring rolls around. Yeah, some people have more expensive bikes that may require more extensive maintenance. For the great majority of you squids (who DON't park you bikes outside), winterizing is probably not a big deal.

King Nothing
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM
For the record, a battery tender is never really a bad idea.

Tylar
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 02:17 PM
It's a monumental feat for me to hammer out 4k miles in a calendar year. Commuting would help with that...

I usually change the oil twice a year.

King Nothing
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 03:02 PM
It's a monumental feat for me to hammer out 4k miles in a calendar year. Commuting would help with that...

I usually change the oil twice a year.You're good. Don't sweat it. When it warms up, take a ride. :up:

asp_125
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 03:34 PM
You're supposed to change what? :D

DemonRider
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Battery tender even if Battery removed,,, Yes or No??

longrider
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Battery tender even if Battery removed,,, Yes or No??

Yes, a lead-acid battery will lose 1% of its charge per day even if it is not connected to anything. Modern bikes with memory maintenance in the electronics just make it worse

The GECCO
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 06:32 PM
As long as it's getting changed, you're fine. The logic behind changing it in the fall is that "used" oil has acids, and other bad stuff in it that you don't want sitting in the motor. The bike does more sitting during the winter so it may as well sit with clean oil rather than dirty oil. Again, though, I don't think it's a huge deal.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Feb 6th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Winterizing your bike means installing studs.

shaddap and ride

BC14
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I too have heard that changing the oil before you plan on putting a vehicle up for any amount of time, based on sludge and acids n such. My bike is on a 7500 mile change schedule, owners manual, so I follow that pretty much, but I ride 11-12 k a year.

MetaLord 9
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Meh. annual oil change. ride enough and you won't have to worry about it sitting. /thread.

asp_125
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 09:17 AM
If you are riding enough year round, I see no reason to change your regular maintenance schedule.

sloridr
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Street bike said change every 6000 miles I did every 2000-3000. And changed it several times a year. The sumo get fresh blood every 1500. Winter time is battery tender and ride it when ever I'm home. Last winter I believe I put close to 5000 miles on the sumo. Point is get out and ride!!!

MetaLord 9
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 12:14 PM
^^Which is made all the more impressive by the fact that you're gone for long stretches of time!

asp_125
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Even if you don't change the oil, the cold does tax a battery. I left the Gixxer unplugged since my last ride Jan 29th. Garage is unheated but two walls are below grade, one wall is interior (so really only the garage door is exposed). I tried to start it yesterday. It took a couple of cranks before reluctantly catching. Normally during riding season it would have fired right up.
So plug in that battery tender and you'll have much easier cranking.

OUTLAWD
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Meh. annual oil change. ride enough and you won't have to worry about it sitting. /thread.

ride enough and you will need to change your oil more than annually ;)

Sarge
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 12:37 PM
My truck fired up instantly this morning after being in storage for 11 months. I always use full synthetic and I just dropped a new battery in it for shits and giggles. I used stabil and left the tank almost empty. It's on '07 Nissan Frontier with 20,000 on the clock.

MetaLord 9
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
ride enough and you will need to change your oil more than annually ;)
I do ride enough. I still only change it annually.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 05:29 PM
:slap: stay away from that forum....this one is better, it promotes riding ..not storage.....change oil as needed

"dont ride in the winter"..WTF is wrong with people

Can we get an "AMEN BROTHA!!" :headbang:

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I don't winterize. I ride em.

I change the oil every 3k mi. on street bikesAMEN!!!!! What the hell is "winterize"!!!!

Winterizing your bike means installing studs.

shaddap and rideAMEN, again!!!!

G35CO
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Can we get an "AMEN BROTHA!!" :headbang:
AMEN
I can't imagine not riding my bike during winter. I bought the bike to ride it not to baby it.