PDA

View Full Version : ALL DOGS OWNERS PLEASE READ: Sugarless gum can kill

bulldog
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 09:46 AM
The ingriedient Xylitol which is in many Sugarless gums and dental products can be toxic to dogs. The vet told me as few as 5 sticks of gum could have killed my 52 pound bulldog, so wanted to makl people aware because I had no clue.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp

I just found this out when my bulldog ate a pack of gum. Luckily he didn't chew the gum with this Xylitol, so he just got an upset stomach and sick, but livesd through it.

I will research later what gums and products have this ingredient so we can all avoid them that have dogs. Anyone finds them please post a list.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 09:55 AM
My vet told me the same thing about chocolate. Kona would eat chocolate all the time and even had a glass of chocolate milk with me every morning before I went to work. I wonder about them vet's, sometimes...

Anyway, all the shit that is in our food, now, is toxic to us as well!!! It's getting to where I can barley eat anymore. Everything has a chemical taste to me.

bulldog
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Yeah I have heard the chocolate thing before and even seen dogs eat it and be fine, but this Xylitol was totally new to me and seems to be very toxic and you have very little time to get your dog to the vet before it causes liver failure.

Little dogs can die from just a couple sticks of gum and I think we all just leave gum around not thinking much about it. I did....

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Either way, glad you're dog is okay!!!

My friends little poodle ate a whole bag of Hershey's Kisses. When he got home from work, the dog was on it's back, feet in the air, bloated like Rush Limbaugh after a Thanksgiving dinner!! Took it to the vet and the dog was fine, other than "over consumption".

Kona ate a whole chicken, once. Bones and all (you know, that hollow bone thing)!!! My brother had a poodle-schnauzer mix that ate cigarette butts and aluminum foil on a regular basis. We know this because it was in his shit! lol

Sarge
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Haha, I've got a wolf-hybrid that once jumped up on the counter, walked across the kitchen sink, and snatched the whole chicken we hid on top of the refrigerator. He managed to eat a few of these whole, and never had a problem. I also used to give him whole bones two feet wide and 3-4 inches thick and he would EAT them. Oh yeah, he also would tear out fence boards, piece by piece, and eat those too. Never a problem, iron stomach or something.

MetaLord 9
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Either way, glad you're dog is okay!!!

My friends little poodle ate a whole bag of Hershey's Kisses. When he got home from work, the dog was on it's back, feet in the air, bloated like Rush Limbaugh after a Thanksgiving dinner!! Took it to the vet and the dog was fine, other than "over consumption".

Kona ate a whole chicken, once. Bones and all (you know, that hollow bone thing)!!! My brother had a poodle-schnauzer mix that ate cigarette butts and aluminum foil on a regular basis. We know this because it was in his shit! lol
Yeah, our furry garbage disposal eats cigarettes, lighters, yarn/string, frizbees, spiders, couches, blankets, paper...she's like a frigging goat minus the horns.

Worst she's ever done is eaten something (we still don't know what) that was bad for her in her laundry room once (I'm guess bug or spiders). She covered the floor in puke, but by the time we got home, she was happy like nothing happened...

Airreed
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Another one that will give your dog a TKO are grapes.
One grape per lb will equal death pretty fast.

bulldog
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Chewing gums containing Xylitol.

The two most notable in the United States are Trident and Stride, sugar-free varieties

B-Fresh, Spry, Xponent, Xylichew,Trident, Stride

Best list I found of products tghat contain Xylitol
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/54875510/Xylitol-Products-2010---ocdhs

dirkterrell
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM
There are a variety of things that can be toxic. Here is a good discussion of various things can get your pooch sick:

http://www.vetinfo.com/dtoxin.html

Dirk

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Another one that will give your dog a TKO are grapes.
One grape per lb will equal death pretty fast.Haven't heard that one, before. Kona loved grapes!! He would eat twenty or thirty at a time...

Wrider
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 08:24 PM
My dog will be lucky if I don't force feed her grapes, sugarless gum, and chocolate chips tonight...

Airreed
Mon Feb 7th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Dean-
Kona must have a iron stomach...My vet thinks my Weimarner ate a munch of grapes which caused his kidney's to fail in about a week... I think my neighbor poisoned him....

bulldog
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Dean-
Kona must have a iron stomach...My vet thinks my Weimarner ate a munch of grapes which caused his kidney's to fail in about a week... I think my neighbor poisoned him.... Wow, I am sorry to hear that :puppy: If you need help with some "payback" let me know. I give you props for not going crazy on your neighbor; I would have lost it!

Yeah it is weird that some dogs can stomach things and others can't. I've heard of dogs eating chocolate and being fine and others ding from it. My dog usually can handle alot, but thise sugarless ingredients made him very sick for days...

salsashark
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I've never heard of the grape thing. When I have frozen grapes in the house and my pup loves them.

MetaLord 9
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I've fed Abbey grapes before & she was fine. She didn't much care for them, but I think it's b/c she didn't realize they were food for a while. But, as mentioned earlier, that dog could eat a damned phone book and be fine

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Dean-
Kona must have a iron stomach...My vet thinks my Weimarner ate a munch of grapes which caused his kidney's to fail in about a week... I think my neighbor poisoned him....Ah, that sucks!!!