PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Packing...

CeMeN
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 12:12 AM
please spare the stupid comments about squids being a squid etc... if you've nothing better to do than talk shit then take it to another thread please... {=0)

Ok now with that out of the way, I've heared that removing the packing from your muffler can make your bike louder... not saying this is something I want to do however it has sparked my curiosity. Quite honestly this doesn't sound like a good idea but seeing how I don't know I thought someone might. So my questions, 1 - does this actually make your exhaust louder and if so is it ridiculously loud to where it's anoying? 2 - can or will this cause damage to a bike?

fasterlaster
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 03:56 AM
It is going to make the bike louder. How much louder most likely depends on a lot of factors. The packing inside acts as a sound baffle that tends to help absorb and damp the sound waves. I doubt it would cause damage to your bike, but I would expect a slight change in backpressure that you would likely not notice. One aspect to note is it will also change the tone of your bike as well. Perhaps to your liking, but likely not.

The real concern to your bike would be your neighbors who want to bash your head in while on an obnoxious loud bike, causing a wreck. (sorry couldn't resist)

Bueller
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 05:56 AM
It'll make you sound super fast.

MetaLord 9
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 07:41 AM
It has the added performance benefit of approximately 2 stickers. :D

bulldog
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Cops will pull you over everywhere you go!

My packing was toasted and by bike was so loud that cops would pull me over because it "sounded" like I was speeding; which I was not. Don't do it! :down:

P.S. :squid: :lol:

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 08:27 AM
my bike has no packing and it's so loud it's obnoxious, haven't been pulled over for it, but i wouldn't be suprised if i did get popped for it in the future. Albeit, my bike is a V-Twin, so i sounds like most harleys w/ straight pipes.

asp_125
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Depends on the bike I guess. Drilling the packing on my old SV650 took it from sounding like a sewing machine to a sewing machine on steroids. In other words it sounded like ass.

CeMeN
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks peeps... I appreciate it!

:squid: :lol:

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 09:49 AM
This is a good thread about exhaust systems. There is more to the job of the can than just noise suppression as alluded to by Faster in the first reply

http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanics-garage/31994-aftermarket-exhaust-what-other-mods-will-i-have-make.html

Cap'n Crunch
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Dude, you wouldn't want to do that to your v twin. I've ridden behind that bike and it sounds awesome with those Yoshis!

brennahm
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Without the packing it's going to be extremely loud like everyone else said, but you'll also end up with a lot more vibration and the mufflers themselves will wear out quicker. By wear out I mean rivets wallowing out, welds stressing, etc.

fasterlaster
Tue Feb 8th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Depends on the bike I guess. Drilling the packing on my old SV650 took it from sounding like a sewing machine to a sewing machine on steroids. In other words it sounded like ass.

It's so saw when sewing machines feel the need to take performance enhancers. It really cheats out all the other sewing machines.

Repsol a095
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Plus, repacking the exhaust after you figure out that you don't like it, SUCKS! I have repacked my DRZ and my R1; neither one was fun. On the bright side, I own a rivet gun=fun!

CeMeN
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Plus, repacking the exhaust after you figure out that you don't like it, SUCKS! I have repacked my DRZ and my R1; neither one was fun. On the bright side, I own a rivet gun=fun!

yeah... should I do this, I am intending on getting a full system and doing away with the slip ons... so if I don't like there's nothing better than a good reason to purchase said exhaust more promptly {=0)

CeMeN
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Dude, you wouldn't want to do that to your v twin. I've ridden behind that bike and it sounds awesome with those Yoshis!

aww... com one now, you just don't want me to be louder than your RC when I get back! lol

Cap'n Crunch
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 08:19 AM
aww... com one now, you just don't want me to be louder than your RC when I get back! lol

True, true! It's going to be good to have you back in town, man. You got any picutres of riding over in Hawaii? Post em up!

CeMeN
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 09:27 AM
True, true! It's going to be good to have you back in town, man. You got any picutres of riding over in Hawaii? Post em up!

here's one {=0)

Winsa12
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I experimented and took the silencer off my old R6 one day. It barked when you stabbed the throttle, but I would not even want to ride it because it was so loud. I think the lack of backpressure did affect the performance negatively as well.

Cap'n Crunch
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM
here's one {=0)

Nice! You sure you want to come back here? We got about 6" of snow on the ground and it was below 0 this morning. Damn, I wish I was in Hawaii right now...

Repsol a095
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 12:52 PM
yeah... should I do this, I am intending on getting a full system and doing away with the slip ons... so if I don't like there's nothing better than a good reason to purchase said exhaust more promptly {=0)

Repacking the exhaust on dirt bikes is just part of the regular maintenance. They say that you should change it every 20 hours or so. The R1 was kind of a waste of time. I have 30,000 miles on the bike, and Yosh claimed that I should have done it at 20K. I really can't hear the difference. I will be curious if it changes the performance, but I really think it was a waste of time.

bulldog
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Repacking the exhaust on dirt bikes is just part of the regular maintenance. They say that you should change it every 20 hours or so. The R1 was kind of a waste of time. I have 30,000 miles on the bike, and Yosh claimed that I should have done it at 20K. I really can't hear the difference. I will be curious if it changes the performance, but I really think it was a waste of time. I did a repack on my 600RR and it made a huge difference with sound and gave me some power back because it increased the back pressure. So I guess on some bikes it helps...

Repsol a095
Wed Feb 9th, 2011, 07:02 PM
With all of this snow on the ground, I haven't been able to ride it, but I really hope you are right! It will make me feel like all that time and effort was worth something.

I did a repack on my 600RR and it made a huge difference with sound and gave me some power back because it increased the back pressure. So I guess on some bikes it helps...