PDA

View Full Version : rim dip

thunderseye
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 11:54 AM
does anyone know anybody who does a good job chroming rims? my buddy wants his r1 done? or frame polishing

Anonymous
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Chroming rims is bad, but to each his own. The chrome process locks chemicals in next to the metal, no matter how clean or well it is done. Over time these chemicals eat away the metal (you cannot see this from the chrome side either) and weaken it, and hence you should never chrome load-bearing surfaces like wheels, swingarms, frames, etc. Polishing is ok since it just shines up the metal, albeit you have to remove a small amount of it for that to take place.

BluBikeChik
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Frame polishing is easy to do yourself!! I helped my friend do his GSXR600 and it only took us 2 nights and that was with a palm sander, get a di (? not sure how to spell it) grinder it's A LOT easier to do!!

thunderseye
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 05:19 PM
well i would like it done too but i've read how to do it and i just don't think i should be messing with it. now you get me on a piece of heavy equipment and i'll create a masterpiece operating but as far as polishing lol i don't even like to polish my boots lol

swademaster
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Look in the yellow pages under plating. I want to get my exhaust head pipe chromed. I checked at Denver Bumper but they only do bumpers and steel wheels. They refered my to AJAX Plating and Alert Plating, but haven't had time to check with them.

Mel
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 11:35 PM
I would definitly say that he is better off polishing than chrome...the crome will be trash fast on Colorado roads (chipping etc), it is hell on the metal, and adds sooo much weight that it would be unreal. I think one of the guys on here (check with ripper) was saying that he did bike polishing on the side.
The other thing he could think about is powder coating...it would not be shiny like chrome, but you can get some beautiful colors done now, and it will protect the metal better than paint. My sis just had a bunch of her typhoon parts coated mirror black, and it looks like the name. I am thinking of taking off parts of my bike and powdering them purple.

BlueDevil
Thu Aug 7th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Yep Polish not Chrom.

Tribe Custom Coating

7727 W 6th Ave Unit A
Lakewood, CO 80215
303-202-5827

Good bunch of folks and they will help U get exactly what U R looking for. I worked eith them a few years ago on my old bike and they were a good price and easy to work with. Give them a shout.

They also do Powdercoating too.