PDA

View Full Version : new to this, bike ideas?

adrianwemple9
Thu Feb 10th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Ive had a sport bike about 2 years and im wanting to go up in the mountains to hit some trails, whats a good dirt bike to start with? i have an r6 that im selling to get a dirk bike, only want to spend around 2-3k

Thanks!

asp_125
Thu Feb 10th, 2011, 12:31 PM
A lot depends on where you want to start out. If you want to ride from the trailhead then a dirt specific bike will be better. If you have to ride on numbered forest roads and pavement you need a plated dual sport (rudimentary lights, horns, signals)

Medium DS bikes like an F650GS or DRZ400 are a PITA to pick up after about the fifth time you dump it. A WR250 otoh is great if you like tight singletrack where the bigger bikes aren't. If you want to just ride places like Rampart then a dirt bike is way more fun.

I'm sure the supermoto and KTM crowd will be chiming in ....

Sean
Thu Feb 10th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Do you want something that is road and dirt (Dualsport) or something more specific to dirt?

Ricky
Thu Feb 10th, 2011, 01:10 PM
After buying a CR125 and thinking I was just going to do some simple trail riding, I sold it and picked up a WR250F. THey are lighter than most dual sports, and have almost identical suspension setups to the YZ250F. Making a perfect blend between dual sport and motocross. I can take big hit jumps and ride out onto the pavement with my plate on the back.

rybo
Thu Feb 10th, 2011, 01:20 PM
If you're looking for a full dualsport bike I have a Suzuki DR650 that is in your price range. It's a great compromise bike, not great in the dirt, not great on the road, but perfectly adequate in both places. A great bike for touring in Colorado. Enough power for the highway and it's really fun on fireroads and the such.

Fully decked out
Corbin Seat
Removable Windshild
Large IMS tank
Rear rack
Dirt and street tires included.

If you're interested let me know.

modette99
Thu Feb 10th, 2011, 01:40 PM

modette99
Thu Feb 10th, 2011, 01:42 PM