PDA

View Full Version : Taxes And Bike Registration

Cap'n Crunch
Thu Feb 10th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know if you can write off the registration fees for a motorcycle for your tax return? I know you can write off the registration fees for a car, but I wasn't sure about a motorcycle.

Also, if you bought a motorcycle over the past year, can you write off the taxes paid on the bike at the time of purchase?

Thx:king:

longrider
Thu Feb 10th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Only the ownership tax can be deducted if you itemize, and bikes are the same as cars. ( I deduct it every year) I dont know all the rules on sales tax for the purchase

Reyven
Thu Feb 10th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Yes, sales tax counts. Same as a car.

NUTZ
Thu Feb 10th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Yes the you can deduct the ownership tax on any vehicle you register (car, truck, trailer, motorcycle, air plain, ect) as well you can deduct the sales tax on any large purchase made in the same tax year. I know turbo tax walks you through all of that.

FZRguy
Thu Feb 10th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Expired tax benefits. The following tax benefits have expired are not available for 2010.

Itemized deduction or increased standard deduction for state or local sales or excise taxes on the purchase of a new motor vehicle (unless you bought the vehicle in 2009 after February 16 and paid the tax in 2010).

Deduction for state and local general sales taxes.

Cap'n Crunch
Fri Feb 11th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Good to know - thanks peeps!